post #451 of 1427 Old 02-28-2013, 04:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlm86 View Post

Since MCAAC does not EQ the subwoofer, do we just do a subjective EQ based on our desired output?
Maybe you're not distinguishing EQ from calibration? MCACC does calibrate the sub for amplitude and distance. It does not try to correct the subs' frequency response, other than by it's "standing wave" filters. There is no way for you to "do a subjective EQ" unless you buy outboard hardware that lets you alter the subs' frequency response. (Except that you could change the subs' crossover controls.)

Greg Lee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 1427 Old 02-28-2013, 04:59 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

MCAAC: Stil not clear on the subwoofer configuration..

Since MCAAC does not EQ the subwoofer, do we just do a subjective EQ based on our desired output?

Some of the anti-MCAAC groups think this is big showstopper that the sub is not EQ'ed, but perhaps not, as Pioneer engineering is pretty good reputation, and i would think that if Audyssey XT32 is so great they might have included in their top units..

Trying to eq subs is interesting. In my room there are 12+ db valleys and 9 db mountains (with my original sub placement). My sub in isolation measures flat to 20hz (my own measured DIY design not manufacturers specs). Sure you could tune down the peaks easily but you can't boost the valleys by 12db. To truly fix sub frequencies you must fix the room.

That being said I do wish they would allow manual eq on the sub channel as I would use it for minor adjustments. Note I haven't really looked into the pio's sub tuning because I have been using a BFD for years.

Salem
post #453 of 1427 Old 02-28-2013, 06:06 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:

MCAAC: Stil not clear on the subwoofer configuration..

Some of the anti-MCAAC groups think this is big showstopper that the sub is not EQ'ed, but perhaps not, as Pioneer engineering is pretty good reputation, and i would think that if Audyssey XT32 is so great they might have included in their top units..

Advanced MCACC corrects phase, delay and level for all the spectrum. So it actually equalizes the sub too. Please do not make your assumption an urban legend because that is not true. It even allows you to fine tune the settings on MCACC to your own preference after calibration, Audyssey doesn't.

Regards

If this post has been useful to you please Thumb it Up!

·· AV System
Receiver: Pioneer SC-1222K
Spkrs: homemade monitors + Energy Take Classic 5.1
Display: Samsung UN55ES8000
Src: Comcast DVR / Apple TV 3 / Xbox360 slim / HTPC / AirPlay / Pandora / Bluetooth*

*Pre-processor: Noozxoide EIZO-rewire PRO
post #454 of 1427 Old 02-28-2013, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyekode View Post

Trying to eq subs is interesting. In my room there are 12+ db valleys and 9 db mountains (with my original sub placement). My sub in isolation measures flat to 20hz (my own measured DIY design not manufacturers specs). Sure you could tune down the peaks easily but you can't boost the valleys by 12db. To truly fix sub frequencies you must fix the room.

That being said I do wish they would allow manual eq on the sub channel as I would use it for minor adjustments. Note I haven't really looked into the pio's sub tuning because I have been using a BFD for years.

Salem

Standing wave detection tries to fix those huge valleys and mountains that EQ can't fix. It may not fix the problem, but sure it is going to help.

Regards

·· AV System
Src: Comcast DVR / Apple TV 3 / Xbox360 slim / HTPC / AirPlay / Pandora / Bluetooth*

post #455 of 1427 Old 02-28-2013, 06:32 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

tbooth,

These are my Advanced Video Settings:

HDMI Color Depth: 8 Bit

HDMI CEC: Disabled

Forced DVI Output: No

Output Color Space: Auto

Default Decoder Color Space: Auto.

Thanks! I have my Dune set to these exact settings and I don't get output. Can you tell me exactly what HDMI cable you are using. I don't know what else to try except to take my receiver to a service center.
post #456 of 1427 Old 02-28-2013, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by okibcn View Post

Have you tried replacing the cable?

I've tried 5 different HDMI cables. A monoprice redmere slim cable, a brand new HDMI 1.4 cable, 3 random HDMI 1.3 cables I have laying around and a cable that came with my Dune.
post #457 of 1427 Old 02-28-2013, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbooth View Post

Thanks! I have my Dune set to these exact settings and I don't get output. Can you tell me exactly what HDMI cable you are using. I don't know what else to try except to take my receiver to a service center.

You had the same problem with an VSX receiver, isn't it? That means that probably it is your Dune and not your receiver the faulty device, even more when we know that both devices are compatible.

Regards

·· AV System

post #458 of 1427 Old 02-28-2013, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by okibcn View Post

You had the same problem with an VSX receiver, isn't it? That means that probably it is your Dune and not your receiver the faulty device, even more when we know that both devices are compatible.

Regards

Yep, same issue with a VSX 1122-k.
post #459 of 1427 Old 02-28-2013, 08:04 AM

I just got my 1222 from Newegg and am pretty impressed so far. Everything works as expected.

Do I get cultist robes and a ceremonial dagger when I join the club? biggrin.gif
post #460 of 1427 Old 02-28-2013, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrhjr View Post

Sometimes it takes minutes to get a signal. I find that if I power on the source before I switch to the input on the receiver that I have a better success rate.

Hi jdrhjr, may I ask which source your that having the problem with? Or is it all sources?
post #461 of 1427 Old 02-28-2013, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

Hi jdrhjr, may I ask which source your that having the problem with? Or is it all sources?
All sources. Once I get the picture going, I may or may not be able to switch to another source and still have a display. I'm tired of dealing with it. Sending it in for a refund today.

Thanks to everybody who tried to help. This just wasn't meant to be for me.
post #462 of 1427 Old 02-28-2013, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 592
Quote:

All my HDMI cables came from Monoprice High Speed HDMI cable.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

post #463 of 1427 Old 02-28-2013, 11:12 AM

Quote:

HDMI implementations are not the same in all the brands. Some of them are very tight to the specs and some others allow timings and levels of the signal to have some more tolerance. The issue that you are describing seems to be related to an out of specs implementation in the HDMI of your Dune, so tight that most receivers won´t work while others may allow some out of spec signals. I´d change or at least test another Dune. You can go to Best Buy and test it really quickly. If it doesn´t work either, then you can return it. It might be a local incompatibility, but GusGus748s has your same configuration... working.

Regards

·· AV System

post #464 of 1427 Old 02-28-2013, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azurith View Post

I just got my 1222 from Newegg and am pretty impressed so far. Everything works as expected.

Do I get cultist robes and a ceremonial dagger when I join the club? biggrin.gif

Welcome to these forums and to the SC-1222K owners club! you just need to stop by here every time and so and help others!

Regards

·· AV System

post #465 of 1427 Old 02-28-2013, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrhjr View Post

All sources. Once I get the picture going, I may or may not be able to switch to another source and still have a display. I'm tired of dealing with it. Sending it in for a refund today.

Thanks to everybody who tried to help. This just wasn't meant to be for me.

If you try receiver reset, what procedure or how did you reset it?

Also try setting the receiver resolution from Auto to 1080/24p or 1080p.
post #466 of 1427 Old 02-28-2013, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

If you try receiver reset, what procedure or how did you reset it?

Also try setting the receiver resolution from Auto to 1080/24p or 1080p.

I performed my reset by turning the receiver off and then pressing and holding the "Enter" button on the front panel and turning the receiver back on. The receiver then displays "Reset < No >". You can then press the left or right arrow to select "Reset" and press enter.
post #467 of 1427 Old 02-28-2013, 12:55 PM

Quote:

I performed my reset by turning the receiver off and then pressing and holding the "Enter" button on the front panel and turning the receiver back on. The receiver then displays "Reset < No >". You can then press the left or right arrow to select "Reset" and press enter.
This is what I did as well. It's what the rep from Pioneer told me to do. I didn't try setting the receiver to 1080p/24 because to be honest I didn't know how. I no longer have the receiver so I guess it's a mystery that will remain unsolved. Take care, guys.
post #468 of 1427 Old 02-28-2013, 01:09 PM

I have a USB hard drive playing music question. Is there a way to get the receiver to play all sub-folders within a folder. So when I use the app on my phone I can navigate to a folder and play the songs inside the folder. I want to select for example a folder called Rock and play all the albums in sub folders underneath it. Also I broke off the front flip down door as I put the receiver in a cabinet and wanted to close the door with the USB drive connected. I bought a right angle USB connector off eBay and a hard drive that wakes on power.
post #469 of 1427 Old 02-28-2013, 07:07 PM

Liked: 11
Just received my 1222 today and updated firmware and ran calibration. I am not getting my subs to work after calibration. I set the manual speaker settings to small.

How do I get the subs to work? Not sure which steps I missed

Thx

Edit

Seems to work when I turn up the volume to almost max. On my Onkyo 809 the volume on subs were much fuller at lower volumes

Is there a link to the proper sub calibration.
post #470 of 1427 Old 02-28-2013, 09:16 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
I have your solution. Check your inbox and try that setup. Them post your results.
post #471 of 1427 Old 03-01-2013, 12:40 AM
AVS Special Member

So far, I've had this receiver for 2 days. I haven't been able to fully test it. I tested my Dune D1 media player, and it worked without any issues. Thereafter, I upgraded to the latest firmware. I re-formatted my corsair 32 gb flash drive to Fat32 even though it was already Fat32 (recommended). Downloaded and unzipped the files. Hooked it up to the AVR, and approxiately less than 10 min. it updated.

I was surprised that it turned off and did not turn back on after the update. Yesterday, I download the iControlAV2012 app to my wife's and my iPhone 4s phones. At first I kept getting an error message "error code b47110." After some research, I found out that the iControlAV2012 app will not turn on your receiver unless you have NETWORK STANDBY ENABLED. After I enabled network standby, I was able to fully controlled the AVR. I also signed to my Pandora account via the AVR's OSD. Pandora is fully functional, and it sound awesome biggrin.gif

I will be off work this weekend, and I will try to run MCACC. I would like to also say that my new Polk Audio 25C sound AWESOME!!! I just need to raise my TV several inches since this speaker is pretty tall. I will be installing the iControl app on my wife's iPad. I also like the option that you can re-name the HDMI inputs! So far, I am very happy with this receiver. At first, I thought I was going to regret buying it.

However, it does sucks for those of you who have had issues with this AVR.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #472 of 1427 Old 03-01-2013, 01:53 AM

I have the weekend off too, and will be setting mine up to...

Q. My center channel sits below the TV and GusGus mentions raising his height perhaps, and i've always wondered about that, as dialog it seems is lost sometimes in that it is at knee level..(?)

Anyway, the more read about MCACC vs Audyssey etc, the more confused i actually get. My Onkyo Audyssey seemed good ,but maybe i need to give this a chance it don't concern myself with it.

The subwoofer EQ may not be such a big deal in long run perhaps...

**There also is a dedicated MCACC avs forum here that i just discovered...

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1112470/official-pioneer-mcacc-thread/3540
post #473 of 1427 Old 03-01-2013, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by javygonx View Post

I have your solution. Check your inbox and try that setup. Them post your results.

Thank you!

Bob
post #474 of 1427 Old 03-01-2013, 05:12 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad1550 View Post

Just received my 1222 today and updated firmware and ran calibration. I am not getting my subs to work after calibration. I set the manual speaker settings to small.

Thx

Edit

Seems to work when I turn up the volume to almost max. On my Onkyo 809 the volume on subs were much fuller at lower volumes

It will be source format dependent as well.

When I first got my 809 the sub sounded very very weak. Turns out DTS format is mixed at a lower reference level than Dolby formats. The 809 allowed you to up the level per incoming format, the Pio does not.

Try a Dolby Digital (TrueHD, etc) track and see if the sub sounds louder. On my Pio it sure did...I have several DTS Master HD tracks, and 1 Dolby True HD. At the same vol level the sub sounded louder with the Dolby track.
post #475 of 1427 Old 03-01-2013, 05:22 AM

I wanted to thank everyone for their troubleshooting tips. I received the correct power supply for the Dune and it worked immediately after I plugged it in. The display on the front of the Dune is now much brighter as well. I guess it just wasn't getting enough juice. biggrin.gif
post #476 of 1427 Old 03-01-2013, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I wanted to thank everyone for their troubleshooting tips. I received the correct power supply for the Dune and it worked immediately after I plugged it in. The display on the front of the Dune is now much brighter as well. I guess it just wasn't getting enough juice. biggrin.gif

Awesome news.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #477 of 1427 Old 03-01-2013, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad1550 View Post

Thx

Edit

I'm wondering the same thing. With my old Kenwood, I barely had the volume a quarter turn. Now I have it cranked almost to max. I'm also hoping I'm plugged into the right output. The quick start guide shows subwoofer 1 but the av navigator showed it going into the zone 2 out which didn't make sense to me.
post #478 of 1427 Old 03-01-2013, 02:26 PM

I finally had a chance to set mine up today. It was delivered on Tuesday, but I was away on business. I've got a lot of tweaking to do, but have things working for the most part. I have a couple of concerns at this point in addition to the low subwoofer output.

I'm having issues with the remote. It controls the volume, and will change inputs, etc., but it won't open up the home menu nor control anything in the menus. I've had to do it all at the receiver. Is it a bad remote or is there some setting that needs to be addressed to give it full control?

Another issue is getting audio from tv to the receiver via optical cable. I'm sending audio, as well as video, directly from the cable TV box for watching TV, but I had been taking advantage of the smart tv features by sending audio back to my receiver via digital optical, and it worked fine with my Kenwood. I've got no sound with this, and I checked to make sure I reconfigured the input settings. Is there something I'm missing?

I'm a bit frustrated at this point. I didn't have HDMI capability with my old receiver, but I'm wondering if maybe simpler is better. Hopefully I'm just making some rookie mistakes with the set up so far.
post #479 of 1427 Old 03-01-2013, 02:34 PM

Liked: 19
You need to press the "RECEIVER" button on the remote to get to the settings.

For the optical, make sure you have your source on the AVR set to either TV or BDR depending on which optical port you used.
post #480 of 1427 Old 03-01-2013, 02:40 PM

Quote:

It couldn't be the receiver. Now you can enjoy the full potential of your system.

Congrats!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by korkster View Post

I'm wondering the same thing. With my old Kenwood, I barely had the volume a quarter turn. Now I have it cranked almost to max. I'm also hoping I'm plugged into the right output. The quick start guide shows subwoofer 1 but the av navigator showed it going into the zone 2 out which didn't make sense to me.

I recommend not using the AVnavigator. the PC version has some bugs, like that known bug in the sub connection. Use directly the manual. it is really good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by korkster View Post

I finally had a chance to set mine up today. It was delivered on Tuesday, but I was away on business. I've got a lot of tweaking to do, but have things working for the most part. I have a couple of concerns at this point in addition to the low subwoofer output.

I'm having issues with the remote. It controls the volume, and will change inputs, etc., but it won't open up the home menu nor control anything in the menus. I've had to do it all at the receiver. Is it a bad remote or is there some setting that needs to be addressed to give it full control?

Another issue is getting audio from tv to the receiver via optical cable. I'm sending audio, as well as video, directly from the cable TV box for watching TV, but I had been taking advantage of the smart tv features by sending audio back to my receiver via digital optical, and it worked fine with my Kenwood. I've got no sound with this, and I checked to make sure I reconfigured the input settings. Is there something I'm missing?

I'm a bit frustrated at this point. I didn't have HDMI capability with my old receiver, but I'm wondering if maybe simpler is better. Hopefully I'm just making some rookie mistakes with the set up so far.

I do not have any problem with my bass, you must be missing something. Have you already calibrated the system with the Adv. MCACC?

I recommend connecting the TV only through HDMI and connect everything else to the receiver. nonetheless it will work if you connect both to the TV, Forget the optical link for audio. That was the past.

Regards

·· AV System

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page