2Likes

post #541 of 1446 Old 03-05-2013, 04:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalguy View Post

I have also read, that this receiver does not have an onscreen display for set up or any changes to the system including speaker changes and so on. That its all done on the tiny digital screen on the front of the receiver. Is this true of all the pioneers avr's or just the "lower end" ones?

The 1222K has a GUI, via the HDMI cable to the TV.  It does seem rather old but is functional.

AVR - Pioneer SC1222k

Display - LG 60" Plasma

Front - JBL L880's

Center - JBL LC2

Surrounds X 4 - JBL ES80bk's

Subs - Dual Premier Acoustic PA-150's

BR - Panasonic DMP-BDT500

DVD/CD - Toshiba HD-A35

CD Spinner - Some Sony HDMI 5 disk changer

2 channel Speakers - Martin Logan Motion 12's

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 1446 Old 03-05-2013, 05:27 PM

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom67 View Post

Looking to pick up a 1222 and need some information. I presently have a seven-year-old Yamaha RX V659 And a 5.1 Klipsch set up for home theater. However I am a bit of the purist for music. My simple solution is to have a set of paradigms On the B speaker terminals. Which i prefer for music. I Simply switch the receiver to stereo And engage the b speakers. I am then listening to stereo only with only the addition of the sub woofer. I can't see how you accomplish that with the 1222 Or most of the new receivers for that matter. I have to believe there is a way to do that. It appears the 1222 and most other new receivers Have only front presence speakers And/or zone 2 Which do not engage the subwoofer.

Tom, you should use your Paradigms, as front left and right, and the rest to complete a 7.1 system. When you want to listen to music then you can use from the basic 2.1 to a full 7.1 music experience. With a 7.1 system you can listen to new movies available in 7.1, a new experience for people attached to the old 5.1 setup. The SC-1222K creates virtual speakers from a 5.1 source and use the full 7.1 system by using the Neo 6 listening mode. This configuration will sound much better for movies, sports or games than if you use only your 5.1 system.

IMHO you should use your resources to advance 1 step further instead of figuring out how to remain attached to legacy configurations.

Regards

If this post has been useful to you please Thumb it Up!

·· AV System
Receiver: Pioneer SC-1222K
Spkrs: homemade monitors + Energy Take Classic 5.1
Display: Samsung UN55ES8000
Src: Comcast DVR / Apple TV 3 / Xbox360 slim / HTPC / AirPlay / Pandora / Bluetooth*

*Pre-processor: Noozxoide EIZO-rewire PRO
post #543 of 1446 Old 03-05-2013, 05:42 PM

I'm sorry I am not Understanding..... If I hook my paradigms up to the front left and front right, then what terminals do I connect The Klipsch fronts that are used for the 5.1 HT setup?
post #544 of 1446 Old 03-05-2013, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalguy View Post

I have also read, that this receiver does not have an onscreen display for set up or any changes to the system including speaker changes and so on. That its all done on the tiny digital screen on the front of the receiver. Is this true of all the pioneers avr's or just the "lower end" ones?

I really hate to have the annoying messages when changing something. I really love at last a device that provides all the information in the iPad/iPhone/iPod/Android screen without annoying messages in the screen. I even prefer using the Xfinity cable iPad app instead the remote since this way I avoid the messages and I have even more information. Nonetheless I think that it must be a configurable feature since I understand that this is my personal preference.

Configuration is another different issue. The SC-1222K has on screen menus for configuration, Advanced MCACC and even playback of Internet Radio, Pandora or Airplay, so answering your question, it is not true that you have to do all that in the tiny digital screen, in fact you can do all that without the tiny digital screen.

Regards

·· AV System
Src: Comcast DVR / Apple TV 3 / Xbox360 slim / HTPC / AirPlay / Pandora / Bluetooth*

post #545 of 1446 Old 03-05-2013, 06:29 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

That's great. I am glad you got it working. Remember in order to be able to turn on /off your AVR with iControlAV2012 you have to enable Network standby to ON. You can do this via the AVR setup or via web GUI.

This is a great suggestion. Turned on the network standby and now I can turn on/off the receiver from the app. I think this tip is worthy of OP.
post #546 of 1446 Old 03-05-2013, 06:49 PM

So tonight's issue: I have no AirPlay. Could this be a result of the firmware upgrade I did last night? I hadn't tried it since then. It was working perfectly until i tried it tonight. Aargh....
post #547 of 1446 Old 03-05-2013, 06:59 PM

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by okibcn View Post

I really hate to have the annoying messages when changing something. I really love at last a device that provides all the information in the iPad/iPhone/iPod/Android screen without annoying messages in the screen. I even prefer using the Xfinity cable iPad app instead the remote since this way I avoid the messages and I have even more information. Nonetheless I think that it must be a configurable feature since I understand that this is my personal preference.

Configuration is another different issue. The SC-1222K has on screen menus for configuration, Advanced MCACC and even playback of Internet Radio, Pandora or Airplay, so answering your question, it is not true that you have to do all that in the tiny digital screen.

Regards
Thank you for the information. I had read that in another thread, so I wanted to see, as that was one of the issues that was stoping one person from buying one.
post #548 of 1446 Old 03-05-2013, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by korkster View Post

So tonight's issue: I have no AirPlay. Could this be a result of the firmware upgrade I did last night? I hadn't tried it since then. It was working perfectly until i tried it tonight. Aargh....
This one I figured out on my own. It had nothing to don with the receiver; I had to reboot my I-Pad. Never had to do that before. I guess it got tired from all of the extra commands it's been having to make to control the SC-1222-k. :-)
post #549 of 1446 Old 03-05-2013, 07:25 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by korkster View Post

If you did a firmware update you probably need to setup airplay again. Just a guess. I am running the latest firmware and airplay works.
post #550 of 1446 Old 03-05-2013, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom67 View Post

I'm sorry I am not Understanding..... If I hook my paradigms up to the front left and front right, then what terminals do I connect The Klipsch fronts that are used for the 5.1 HT setup?

SC-1222k is a 7.2 receiver, In case you could place your front Klipschs on the top, then a top front left and right configuration would be the best since this way you gain z control of your sound field, in fact 9.x and 11.x configurations offers even better z axis control of the sound field. Another good configuration for you, in case you could not place the top front, is to use the front Klipschs as front wide left and right. The third option would be using them as left and right surround and use the current surrounds as surround back. These three configurations that I recommend to you are, being the first one the best:

Front height setting: SL, FHL FL, SW1, C, SW2, FR, FHR, SR
Front wide setting: SL, FWL FL, SW1, C, SW2, FR, FWR, SR
7.2 surround setting: SBL, SL FL, SW1, C, SW2, FR, SR, SBR

You can forget SW2 since you do not have a second subwoofer yet. The wiring configuration of each option is in page 21 of the SC-1222k user manual. You just have to tell the receiver what configuration you are using and the Advanced MCACC does the rest. After that you can enjoy your new awesome configuration. Remember that the first one is the only one able to provide you with a real 3D sound field, the biggest benefit of a 7.x system over a 5.x system.

Regards

·· AV System

post #551 of 1446 Old 03-06-2013, 04:01 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm thinking about buying this receiver. Would I be able to pass through hdmi with a 4k tv? Is there a work around without having to run optical and would the work around degrade sound quality? Thank you
post #552 of 1446 Old 03-06-2013, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eRob View Post

I'm thinking about buying this receiver. Would I be able to pass through hdmi with a 4k tv? Is there a work around without having to run optical and would the work around degrade sound quality? Thank you

I checked my 1222k manual and then the Pioneer website, unfortunately no it doesn't, however the 1522k does.   I decided to buy another Pioneer receiver and was debating whether to get another 1222k or even an SC-61 if I can find the right price, or possibly getting the 1522K or a sc-65.  (depending on prices, place of purchase for warranty, etc..) I am glad you asked this question now I have another feature to consider.

I dug out a set of Athena Audition series speakers I have had packed away for a while, figured I would sell them to help pay for a new receiver. I hooked all 5 of them up last night and ran MCACC, tweaked it just a little and am just amazed at how good they sound now compared to how they were hooked up to my old Harmon Kardon AVR.  I almost hate to get rid of them.   decisions, decisions,  keep old set of speakers or upgrade receiver.............

AVR - Pioneer SC1222k

Display - LG 60" Plasma

Front - JBL L880's

Center - JBL LC2

DVD/CD - Toshiba HD-A35

post #553 of 1446 Old 03-06-2013, 07:20 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by eRob View Post

I heard the 2013 models will support 4k. But to my knowledge no 4k sources exist. Upscaling is IMHO not a feature i care about in a reciever.

I think we are at least 1/2 a decade away from 4k for real. And even then you need to have a 100"+ screen for it to matter. Good luck with your search.
Salem
post #554 of 1446 Old 03-06-2013, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyekode View Post

I heard the 2013 models will support 4k. But to my knowledge no 4k sources exist. Upscaling is IMHO not a feature i care about in a reciever.

I think we are at least 1/2 a decade away from 4k for real. And even then you need to have a 100"+ screen for it to matter. Good luck with your search.
Salem

That is what the video on Pioneers website stated.  :)

AVR - Pioneer SC1222k

Display - LG 60" Plasma

Front - JBL L880's

Center - JBL LC2

DVD/CD - Toshiba HD-A35

post #555 of 1446 Old 03-06-2013, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyekode View Post

Salem

I agree, 3D pass-through or 4K upscaling are nice features but actually there are setups with the same functionality. You can attach your 4K source to your 4K display directly using a direct HDMI connection. You can connect the AVR to another input of your 4K TV and in your SC-1222K you just have to select TV. The receiver will retrieve the digital audio stream through the Audio Return Channel (ARC) of the HDMI that connects the AVR to the 4K TV. This way you can enjoy 4K video with the SC-1222K. This is why 4K support is not a big deal.

When I was deciding between Denon/Marantz and the SC-1222K I already took that into account. I could have the same 4K functionality in a future with a different HDMI wiring with the SC-1222K, but there is no workaround in order to have the SQ of the SC-1222K with a Denon/Marantz.

Even more, 4K is a new technology and it will take some years to really arrive to home. Think about how many years is taking 7.1 audio sources to arrive to home? How many movies are out there with 7.1 audio streams?

Regards

·· AV System

post #556 of 1446 Old 03-06-2013, 05:43 PM

Does anyone have information about how the Qdeo scaling works on this AVR? I have a Pioneer Elite VSX-30 with the Anchor Bay scaling and am wondering if there is a noticeable improvement with the Qdeo?

BTW with the Newegg deal I have found that if you check out with the V.me option which one just has to sign up for free (nothing to buy etc.) you will get an additional 10% off up to $50 for your first purchase. I ended up getting mine for the additional instant $50 discount.

Thanks Much,
T

Pioneer SC-1222-K, Pioneer Elite VSX-30, McIntosh MA-5100 Amp/Preamp
Energy CF-30's, Energy Take Classic 5.1, McIntosh XR-6's
Panasonic DMP-BDT210 Blu Ray, Comcast DVR.
Revox turntable
Harmony 1100 Remote
Epson Home Theater 8350
120 Inch electric screen
post #557 of 1446 Old 03-06-2013, 05:51 PM

I also was not needing to get 4K passthrough on my receiver as it is going to be a while before prices come down on 4K projectors to the point where I would be willing to spend the money on one. Though my current screen size is 120 inches and I am hoping to increase that so it would be an advantage for me. Still 1080P looks really good on a 120 inch screen IMO. The 1522-k has the 4K passthrough and a couple other features the 1222-K does not so I expect that newer models could also include that but I am would rather get the D type amplification for the deal on the 1222-K myself right now regardless.

A NEW model but not as expensive is the 1223K from Pioneer...not sure if they will add more but this is one.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Home/AV-Receivers/Pioneer+Receivers/VSX-1123-K

Pioneer SC-1222-K, Pioneer Elite VSX-30, McIntosh MA-5100 Amp/Preamp
Energy CF-30's, Energy Take Classic 5.1, McIntosh XR-6's
Panasonic DMP-BDT210 Blu Ray, Comcast DVR.
Revox turntable
Harmony 1100 Remote
Epson Home Theater 8350
120 Inch electric screen
post #558 of 1446 Old 03-06-2013, 05:52 PM

Liked: 12
post #559 of 1446 Old 03-06-2013, 06:03 PM

I pulled the trigger on one on Sunday - according to UPS tracking, should be here tomorrow smile.gif My previous unit was a Harman AVR354 and I loved it, I have an AVR1700 in the bedroom. Sold my 354 on Sunday via CL and bought the Pioneer. This will be first Pioneer unit so I am excited to try something different smile.gif
post #560 of 1446 Old 03-06-2013, 07:11 PM

I bought the SC-1222k receiver.
I guess I got a crap one so far trying to calibrate my psb and platnium speakers it shut off and a red light is blinking on the right side of the receiver.
It seems like this one is junk I need to return it. I might just go with the sc-67 elite. I haven't had the best of luck with this so far.

I hooked up my old onkyo ht-rc180 until i get the replacment one.

My Basement tomato soup theater 118.5" curved 16x9 screen jvc dla x3 projector

onyko ht-rc180. Platinum, audio pt-808 speakers, polk cs20 center psb i300's, polk fx300i's

15' audio source modfied sub with 240 watt amp.

post #561 of 1446 Old 03-07-2013, 09:42 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 204

This new 1123-K does not have D3 amplification based on the price and features mentioned in the link.
post #562 of 1446 Old 03-07-2013, 09:52 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
That's also easy spotted because it's a VSX and not a SC model....

TV: Panasonic TX-P50VT30E
Audio | Receiver: Pioneer VSX-AX2AS-S (Pioneer Elite VSX-82TXS) | Speakers: 2x KEF Q900 for Fronts | 2x KEF Q700 for Rears
Audio/Video Sources | Panasonic DMP-BDT 310 | Pioneer PL-510 | HTPC using Intel i3-3220 16GB XBMC on Ubuntu 13.10
post #563 of 1446 Old 03-07-2013, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

On the fence of getting the following receiver, you guys help me out?

Pio 1222 - $549
Pio 1121 - $375 (used)
Pio 1122 - $359

Will be driving M&K 750thx speakers, will not need reference levels. Is the 1222 worth the extra money?

post #564 of 1446 Old 03-07-2013, 10:23 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbraden32 View Post

On the fence of getting the following receiver, you guys help me out?

Pio 1222 - $549
Pio 1121 - $375 (used)
Pio 1122 - $359

Will be driving M&K 750thx speakers, will not need reference levels. Is the 1222 worth the extra money?

Yes! At only $549 this receiver is one of the best bargains I have acquired in my 20+ plus years of purchasing "high end" audio and video electronics.
post #565 of 1446 Old 03-07-2013, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86surf View Post

I bought the SC-1222k receiver.
I guess I got a crap one so far trying to calibrate my psb and platnium speakers it shut off and a red light is blinking on the right side of the receiver.
It seems like this one is junk I need to return it. I might just go with the sc-67 elite. I haven't had the best of luck with this so far.

I hooked up my old onkyo ht-rc180 until i get the replacment one.

I had the same thing happened to me, but I found two of my speaker wire cables (black / red) where slightly touching. The monoprice banana plugs bend easily. After I fixed this, the AVR stayed on biggrin.gif

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

post #566 of 1446 Old 03-07-2013, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by icelt View Post

Yes! At only $549 this receiver is one of the best bargains I have acquired in my 20+ plus years of purchasing "high end" audio and video electronics.

Is $549 on newegg the best price out there now?

post #567 of 1446 Old 03-07-2013, 11:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 417
I goes down to $529, was there last weekend. Don't know if the $20 savings is big enough to wait for if you really want that receiver though.

Afro GT
post #568 of 1446 Old 03-07-2013, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 601
The best price was $529.99. Sometimes they have a promo for $20 dollars off on top of the sale.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

post #569 of 1446 Old 03-07-2013, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

you guys recommend getting the extended warranty?

post #570 of 1446 Old 03-07-2013, 12:32 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Got an open box for $370 from newegg and received this morning

Looks brand new and never used; hooked up and sounds great

guess it is a good bargain smile.gif
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page