"OFFICIAL" Pioneer SC-1222-K Owners Thread - Page 28 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #811 of 1427 Old 04-17-2013, 07:17 PM
Member
 
FarmerBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: On the Beach.
Posts: 137
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

I'm surprised that you had bad TS. When I used to have the 1222, I called them about my 1222 turning off on my randomly, I ended up finding one of my speaker wires were touching causing a short.
Read back a little further and you'll see there was some agreement when I first brought this up. And I was giving them credit for having a bad day. But many in a row with many people and terse replies to logical questions? That tells me there are bigger/many problems that they are getting over having to deal with. Thus the "crankiness" that I have encountered. I'm even getting a taste of it in their eMails and ones send to friends also. So . . . it's not just me. So those that have had good experiences, great. That's the way it should be. But I haven't. Usually I have a ball with most any TS and end up with direct dial numbers for any future issues. Not here.

I switched to soldered leads in banana plugs ages ago when I found a huge box in my dad's stash of Viking Lander leftovers. We're an Aerospace/Technologies family. Love 'em for the new tightly spaced speaker terminals.
FarmerBob is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #812 of 1427 Old 04-18-2013, 08:18 AM
Member
 
SyracuseOrange's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Augusta GA
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
MCACC question.

I've got a VTF2-MK4 sub and on it, it has the option of setting the crossover to "outside" meaning the AVR chooses the xover freq., or "inside" where there is a dial to choose the crossover frequency on the subwoofer.

Since I believe the MCACC does not calibrate the subwoofer, should I set this as "inside" and choose the crossover frequency I have set for the speakers on the subwoofer? I have this set currently to "outside" as I thought the MCACC software would account for and set the subwoofer eq/volume and what not.
SyracuseOrange is offline  
post #813 of 1427 Old 04-18-2013, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Foxbat121's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: VA
Posts: 9,737
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 190
MCACC calibration has nothing to do with cross over. Cross over is still being handled by the receiver in the way of cross over settings.
SyracuseOrange likes this.
Foxbat121 is online now  
post #814 of 1427 Old 04-18-2013, 01:55 PM
Member
 
SyracuseOrange's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Augusta GA
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

MCACC calibration has nothing to do with cross over. Cross over is still being handled by the receiver in the way of cross over settings.

Oh. So it sounds like it I had it as the right setup with it being set to Outside.
SyracuseOrange is offline  
post #815 of 1427 Old 04-18-2013, 02:21 PM
Member
 
alexisd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone have problems with the Hdmi connection ?Mine on the reciever end get loose too many times i even change the cables,end using a zip ties hope it work.
alexisd is offline  
post #816 of 1427 Old 04-19-2013, 07:29 PM
Newbie
 
Mingus Ah Um's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone know if there is an ipod dock that works with this receiver? I have the ipod cable that came with the receiver but I was hoping there was some sort of dock similar to what I used with my previous onkyo receiver.
Mingus Ah Um is offline  
post #817 of 1427 Old 04-19-2013, 08:06 PM
Member
 
alexisd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Mine is not showing all the speaker in the front panel,but in the calibration they all there.How i can see all the speakers in the front panel of the reciever?i have a srback speakers and sr speakers.
alexisd is offline  
post #818 of 1427 Old 04-19-2013, 08:43 PM
g4s
Senior Member
 
g4s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: St. Charles, MO
Posts: 221
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexisd View Post

Mine is not showing all the speaker in the front panel,but in the calibration they all there.How i can see all the speakers in the front panel of the reciever?i have a srback speakers and sr speakers.
It will only show you what the input is. For example, if you're playing a stereo CD it will only show the left and right speaker indicators on the display.
g4s is offline  
post #819 of 1427 Old 04-20-2013, 06:19 AM
Senior Member
 
eyekode's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 270
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mingus Ah Um View Post

Does anyone know if there is an ipod dock that works with this receiver? I have the ipod cable that came with the receiver but I was hoping there was some sort of dock similar to what I used with my previous onkyo receiver.

I am not sure but have you tried airplay? I like this better because you keep all the control in your hand. Plus streaming services like spotify and pandora work too.
Salem
eyekode is offline  
post #820 of 1427 Old 04-20-2013, 02:21 PM
Member
 
FarmerBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: On the Beach.
Posts: 137
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyekode View Post

I am not sure but have you tried airplay? I like this better because you keep all the control in your hand. Plus streaming services like spotify and pandora work too.
Salem
I have a direct connection from my computer to the 1222 that I have had for years prior to AP and am back to it since AirPlay is way too flaky. It's always cutting in an out. And when you lose the connection you have to futz with it on the computers end. Nothing to be done, or so I have seen on the receiver end. Volume control is joke, especially if you have more than just the 1222 controlled. From the 1222 back it's smooth and easy, from the PC it jumps in steps and sometimes severely loudly. And lately there is an delay/echo from the two sound sources 24 feet away from each other that is just annoying. Pausing the player use to equal it out. It now only makes it worse. I hope that there is a forthcoming FW update for the 1522 also that I have yet to unpack and install, that'll smooth it out. I'm really looking forward to using this outdoors this Summer. It'll make far more easier to program for the neighbors. Although they mostly like my selections.

But I am loving the down right audio quality. With no MCACC.
FarmerBob is offline  
post #821 of 1427 Old 04-20-2013, 02:36 PM
Senior Member
 
eyekode's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 270
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerBob View Post

I have a direct connection from my computer to the 1222 that I have had for years prior to AP and am back to it since AirPlay is way too flaky. It's always cutting in an out. And when you lose the connection you have to futz with it on the computers end. Nothing to be done, or so I have seen on the receiver end. Volume control is joke, especially if you have more than just the 1222 controlled. From the 1222 back it's smooth and easy, from the PC it jumps in steps and sometimes severely loudly. And lately there is an delay/echo from the two sound sources 24 feet away from each other that is just annoying. Pausing the player use to equal it out. It now only makes it worse. I hope that there is a forthcoming FW update for the 1522 also that I have yet to unpack and install, that'll smooth it out. I'm really looking forward to using this outdoors this Summer. It'll make far more easier to program for the neighbors. Although they mostly like my selections.

But I am loving the down right audio quality. With no MCACC.

Airplay works great for me. The only exception is sometimes some of my airplay speakers don't show up on all devices.

But I typically use my phone or iPad as the source. Rarely do I use iTunes. But when I do I use it from a Mac and I have never had problems with it.

I am not sure what you meant by "volume control is a joke". It is the killer feature! I don't even have to wake up my phone to change volume as the external buttons work. And I don't need to unlock my phone to skip songs as double tapping the home button gives track controls.

Salem
eyekode is offline  
post #822 of 1427 Old 04-20-2013, 06:31 PM
Member
 
FarmerBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: On the Beach.
Posts: 137
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyekode View Post

. . . I am not sure what you meant by "volume control is a joke". It is the killer feature! I don't even have to wake up my phone to change volume as the external buttons work. And I don't need to unlock my phone to skip songs as double tapping the home button gives track controls.

Salem

Right now have the ability to use control from an iPad, iPhone, iPodTouch, G4 Tower, Core 2 Duo Laptop (the important one - I like being able to change the tunes and sprinkler zones at the same time) and PC laptop. When I go to change the volume, and it covers that whole house and grounds, by using one of these devices. Control from these device to the 1222 is clunky and sometimes I get no response and it moves in notches, yes in notices, not smooth ramping, the receiver instantly catches up and it's blaring. Now from the 1222's remote back, everything slides so smoothly and perfectly. So . . . I don't know. Right now I am hardwired and everything is prefect. I use an old Bluetooth Cellphone to control the main sources, whatever it may be at the moment and it works great. We did a "Tour of Duty" neighborhood yard rally this afternoon. My neighbors are so cool.

So as far as my personal experience, it's been rocky at best.
FarmerBob is offline  
post #823 of 1427 Old 04-26-2013, 03:11 PM
Senior Member
 
eyekode's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 270
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerBob View Post

Right now have the ability to use control from an iPad, iPhone, iPodTouch, G4 Tower, Core 2 Duo Laptop (the important one - I like being able to change the tunes and sprinkler zones at the same time) and PC laptop. When I go to change the volume, and it covers that whole house and grounds, by using one of these devices. Control from these device to the 1222 is clunky and sometimes I get no response and it moves in notches, yes in notices, not smooth ramping, the receiver instantly catches up and it's blaring. Now from the 1222's remote back, everything slides so smoothly and perfectly. So . . . I don't know. Right now I am hardwired and everything is prefect. I use an old Bluetooth Cellphone to control the main sources, whatever it may be at the moment and it works great. We did a "Tour of Duty" neighborhood yard rally this afternoon. My neighbors are so cool.

So as far as my personal experience, it's been rocky at best.

I have the same jumpy volume as well. Sending airplay to a airport express or Apple TV it is buttery smooth. I guess it just doesn't bother me. But now that you mention it... smile.gif.
Salem
eyekode is offline  
post #824 of 1427 Old 04-28-2013, 09:30 PM
Member
 
cub4bearin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 50
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
are there any settings I could use for receiver to adjust volume during commercials? My god, last time it blasted in the middle of the night! Its becoming a big issue here. Thanks in advance.
cub4bearin is offline  
post #825 of 1427 Old 04-29-2013, 01:56 AM
AVS Special Member
 
MrEastSide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 1,431
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by cub4bearin View Post

are there any settings I could use for receiver to adjust volume during commercials? My god, last time it blasted in the middle of the night! Its becoming a big issue here. Thanks in advance.

Have you tried the ALC? Basically, dynamic volume. There's a button on the remote for it. It should smooth out spikes, a bit.
cub4bearin likes this.

Quote:
Of course, I got it modified with the TK-427, which cheeks it up another, maybe, 3 or 4 quads per channel.
MrEastSide is online now  
post #826 of 1427 Old 04-29-2013, 10:22 AM
Member
 
rispoli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 78
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
New Pioneer SC-1227K (Canadian model, for who does not know already) owner. I took this receiver while my also new Onkyo 818 is on repair (after a firmware update failure bricked it entirely) and i still own a Denon 3312.
Run Auto MCACC yesterday saving 6 memories, including all the different calibrations (SYMMETRY, FRONT, ALL CH) on different listening spots. If I have to mention something I immediately liked is just this feature of calibrating for different listening spots, as indeed I use 2 of them. But other than that I have to say I am quite underwhelmed by the results vs what i obtained with Audyssey XT on the Denon and XT32 on the Onkyo. Basically the sound i got is very bass-lean if compared to the other 2, which contributes to what for now I'd qualify as a "colder" or "clinical" sound vs. the other 2 receivers in my possession. I now wonder how much this is due to the D3 amplifiers or to the MCACC calibration system.
I have read most of this thread and i still do not think of myself as knowledgeable (or adequately equipped) to fine-tuning myself the results of the auto MCACC. Is there any quick trick that anyone would suggest?
I am mostly a music listener (Jazz, downtempo electronica, acoust guitar tracks). On TV and movie listening I have to say I have notices a marked improvemement in dialogue reproduction with this Pioneer. I'd say here it is clearly a winner, in particular vs. the Denon. But, as I said, my critical listening does not happen there.
When the Onkyo is back I have to come up with a decision as which of the 2 will go back to the store. So far the Pioneer would be the one to go, but I am not sure if in a couple of weeks (that is the least the repair of the 818 will take) i will get to the same conclusion.

FWIW, I do not notice any difference in power between the 3, nor any distortion at my listening level (I live in a condo, so I cannot play as loud as I'd do if living in a detached house). I also do not notice difference in video quality.
My speakers are Polk rti-a5 front, rti-a1 surround, csi-a4 and psw110 sub.
rispoli is offline  
post #827 of 1427 Old 04-29-2013, 11:16 AM
Senior Member
 
scoobdude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 393
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by rispoli View Post

New Pioneer SC-1227K (Canadian model, for who does not know already) owner. I took this receiver while my also new Onkyo 818 is on repair (after a firmware update failure bricked it entirely) and i still own a Denon 3312.
Run Auto MCACC yesterday saving 6 memories, including all the different calibrations (SYMMETRY, FRONT, ALL CH) on different listening spots. If I have to mention something I immediately liked is just this feature of calibrating for different listening spots, as indeed I use 2 of them. But other than that I have to say I am quite underwhelmed by the results vs what i obtained with Audyssey XT on the Denon and XT32 on the Onkyo. Basically the sound i got is very bass-lean if compared to the other 2, which contributes to what for now I'd qualify as a "colder" or "clinical" sound vs. the other 2 receivers in my possession. I now wonder how much this is due to the D3 amplifiers or to the MCACC calibration system.
I have read most of this thread and i still do not think of myself as knowledgeable (or adequately equipped) to fine-tuning myself the results of the auto MCACC. Is there any quick trick that anyone would suggest?
I am mostly a music listener (Jazz, downtempo electronica, acoust guitar tracks). On TV and movie listening I have to say I have notices a marked improvemement in dialogue reproduction with this Pioneer. I'd say here it is clearly a winner, in particular vs. the Denon. But, as I said, my critical listening does not happen there.
When the Onkyo is back I have to come up with a decision as which of the 2 will go back to the store. So far the Pioneer would be the one to go, but I am not sure if in a couple of weeks (that is the least the repair of the 818 will take) i will get to the same conclusion.

FWIW, I do not notice any difference in power between the 3, nor any distortion at my listening level (I live in a condo, so I cannot play as loud as I'd do if living in a detached house). I also do not notice difference in video quality.
My speakers are Polk rti-a5 front, rti-a1 surround, csi-a4 and psw110 sub.

Open up the pioneer app on whatever device (apple, android, ipad etc) then go to emphasis -> bass mgmt then tilt your way to more or less bass. There is also the EQ as well (draw the curve you want for a quick set up). Lastly try turning your fronts to large and sub to plus. See if you like this better.
scoobdude is offline  
post #828 of 1427 Old 04-29-2013, 11:38 AM
Member
 
rispoli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 78
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Thank you, very useful tips.

All speakers have been configured to large by MCACC, however the step of turning the sub to plus is something I have to try.
And I completely ignored that with the Android app I can do more fine tuning.
rispoli is offline  
post #829 of 1427 Old 04-30-2013, 07:47 AM
Member
 
rispoli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 78
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobdude View Post

Open up the pioneer app on whatever device (apple, android, ipad etc) then go to emphasis -> bass mgmt then tilt your way to more or less bass. There is also the EQ as well (draw the curve you want for a quick set up). Lastly try turning your fronts to large and sub to plus. See if you like this better.

Thanks for the tips. All I needed to do was to switch the center and surround to SMALL after MCACC set them as large and switch the Subwoofer to PLUS. This is the combination that gives me the best results, especially with the MCACC set to FRONT ALIGN.
I also played around with the impressive iControl Android app. Indeed lot of tweaking options through that application, nothing comparable to what Denon, Yamaha and Onkyo have to offer (although on the Onkyo I like the ability to stream your music through WiFi from within the application).

Now I will just have to wait to receive the Onkyo 818 back and compare directly the 2. I am still under the impression that I like better the sound of the Onkyo, which I recall as detailed as the Pioneer but a bit warmer and more enveloping. The first might have to do with the DAC: I know the Onkyo uses Burr Brown while I am not sure about the Pioneer. The second has to do with Audyssey XT32.
I have to agree with what everyone has said here: the customization that MCACC offers after its auto setup is what can provide an edge vs. Audyssey for many listener. In my case, i just happened to love immediately what the Onkyo XT32 did to my set of speakers and I just felt no need to alter those results. But of course nobody can tell if you'll come to the same conclusions.
rispoli is offline  
post #830 of 1427 Old 05-01-2013, 08:09 AM
Member
 
morbidcorpse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 136
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by rispoli View Post

Thanks for the tips. All I needed to do was to switch the center and surround to SMALL after MCACC set them as large and switch the Subwoofer to PLUS
I had to do the same to achieve the best bass response. I tried setting the center to large because it has full range capability and I also thought by setting it to small, I might be losing certain details in the soundtrack, since most audio is output through the center channel, but doing so made my bass response sound smaller. I changed the center back to small and the walls were shaking again from the subs bass response. My advice, stick with the Pioneer a little longer. Allow your ears to adjust to the new sound and then, make a decision. It can be a little *cold* sounding at first, but I chalk this up, in part, to it's clarity. It really is a terrific receiver with insane amounts of power for it's price point.

morbidcorpse is online now  
post #831 of 1427 Old 05-01-2013, 08:42 AM
Member
 
rispoli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 78
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by morbidcorpse View Post

My advice, stick with the Pioneer a little longer. Allow your ears to adjust to the new sound and then, make a decision. It can be a little *cold* sounding at first, but I chalk this up, in part, to it's clarity. It really is a terrific receiver with insane amounts of power for it's price point.

Oh yes, I expect the service center to take 3-4 weeks to repair the Onkyo, hence I am sticking with the Pioneer for a while and see if my ears "break into it". The clarity of my speaker set has never been better, I enjoy tv and movie listening way better than on the Denon, while compared with the Onkyo is a closer call (I did not have it long enough).

There is one feature of Audyssey I am missing already, the Dynamic volume. When I watch tv is really handy to level out commercials. I really do not like the ALC setting on the Pioneer as it makes it sound very anemic vs. Exp.Stereo which I tend to favor, with a huge drop in dB and a much less exciting listening experience. I also do not find effective to improve the listening at low volume, something that Audyssey MultiEQ does really well. I think Pioneer needs to engineer a more comparable solution or adopt at least Dolby volume (by the way: I hate it on the Onkyo, but a friend of mine has an HK in which it works much better, so manufacturer implementation counts).
rispoli is offline  
post #832 of 1427 Old 05-01-2013, 08:50 AM
Member
 
RastaManMax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Toronto, ON, Canada
Posts: 112
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by rispoli View Post

Thanks for the tips. All I needed to do was to switch the center and surround to SMALL after MCACC set them as large and switch the Subwoofer to PLUS. This is the combination that gives me the best results, especially with the MCACC set to FRONT ALIGN.
I also played around with the impressive iControl Android app. Indeed lot of tweaking options through that application, nothing comparable to what Denon, Yamaha and Onkyo have to offer (although on the Onkyo I like the ability to stream your music through WiFi from within the application).

Now I will just have to wait to receive the Onkyo 818 back and compare directly the 2. I am still under the impression that I like better the sound of the Onkyo, which I recall as detailed as the Pioneer but a bit warmer and more enveloping. The first might have to do with the DAC: I know the Onkyo uses Burr Brown while I am not sure about the Pioneer. The second has to do with Audyssey XT32.
I have to agree with what everyone has said here: the customization that MCACC offers after its auto setup is what can provide an edge vs. Audyssey for many listener. In my case, i just happened to love immediately what the Onkyo XT32 did to my set of speakers and I just felt no need to alter those results. But of course nobody can tell if you'll come to the same conclusions.

I have mine set to PLUS and fronts to LARGE. Additionally, I followed instructions for the 'bass tweak' that I found posted on here somewhere (here or in the SC-1522K thread). Initially MCACC does a terrible job which is why you need to tweak it. Like you, I have a Denon AVR-990 (2 years older than your 3312). Right after switching I noticed that the SC-1222K was brutal for 2ch listening. After tweaking it's a lot more comparable. Advantage over the Denon is that vocals are astonishingly clear and detailed from the start. Downside was the bass response. I still think that overall the Denon sounds better for 2ch audio even after the bass tweaks (but now it's a lot closer). Overall in every other instance the SC-1222K is better and if I invested another few hours, it would probably be as good/better.

Funny thing is that setting up my Harmony and tweaking was so epically irritating with the SC-1222K that I don't know if i'd buy it again.
RastaManMax is offline  
post #833 of 1427 Old 05-01-2013, 10:11 AM
Member
 
rispoli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 78
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by RastaManMax View Post

After tweaking it's a lot more comparable. Advantage over the Denon is that vocals are astonishingly clear and detailed from the start.

I agree. With the Onkyo 818 is a closer call because it is also clearer for vocals than the Denon.
rispoli is offline  
post #834 of 1427 Old 05-01-2013, 12:07 PM
Senior Member
 
scoobdude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 393
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by rispoli View Post

Oh yes, I expect the service center to take 3-4 weeks to repair the Onkyo, hence I am sticking with the Pioneer for a while and see if my ears "break into it". The clarity of my speaker set has never been better, I enjoy tv and movie listening way better than on the Denon, while compared with the Onkyo is a closer call (I did not have it long enough).

There is one feature of Audyssey I am missing already, the Dynamic volume. When I watch tv is really handy to level out commercials. I really do not like the ALC setting on the Pioneer as it makes it sound very anemic vs. Exp.Stereo which I tend to favor, with a huge drop in dB and a much less exciting listening experience. I also do not find effective to improve the listening at low volume, something that Audyssey MultiEQ does really well. I think Pioneer needs to engineer a more comparable solution or adopt at least Dolby volume (by the way: I hate it on the Onkyo, but a friend of mine has an HK in which it works much better, so manufacturer implementation counts).

I believe you can adjust the effect level of avc like you can others such as unplugged and classical. Select avc then go into the audio menu and see if there is something called effect. It sends to work on a 1 to 100 scale in 10s. Hope that helps.
scoobdude is offline  
post #835 of 1427 Old 05-02-2013, 12:46 AM
Member
 
jdbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
That didn't last long. Got a SC-1222 via Amazon on Friday and got everything setup and running. Was working fine earlier today. Turned it on later and no video to TV via HDMI. Swapped cables, verified TV HDMI input working with direct connection to Bluray player. No error messages.

Strange thing is I bought it because I expect my 2.5 year old Onkyo SR707 to die and month now smile.gif
jdbob is offline  
post #836 of 1427 Old 05-02-2013, 01:01 AM
AVS Special Member
 
GusGus748s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Visalia, CA 93291
Posts: 6,292
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdbob View Post

That didn't last long. Got a SC-1222 via Amazon on Friday and got everything setup and running. Was working fine earlier today. Turned it on later and no video to TV via HDMI. Swapped cables, verified TV HDMI input working with direct connection to Bluray player. No error messages.

Strange thing is I bought it because I expect my 2.5 year old Onkyo SR707 to die and month now smile.gif

This happened to me today. For some reason or another I couldn't get video. So, I switch the HDMI source from my tv from HDMI 1 to HDMI 4, and then I went back to HDMI 1, which is the one being used by my SC1522, and it worked. Video was back.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

 

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

GusGus748s is online now  
post #837 of 1427 Old 05-02-2013, 04:59 AM
Senior Member
 
scoobdude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 393
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdbob View Post

That didn't last long. Got a SC-1222 via Amazon on Friday and got everything setup and running. Was working fine earlier today. Turned it on later and no video to TV via HDMI. Swapped cables, verified TV HDMI input working with direct connection to Bluray player. No error messages.

Strange thing is I bought it because I expect my 2.5 year old Onkyo SR707 to die and month now smile.gif

Try turning off the video conversion stuff as well. What TV do you guys have?
scoobdude is offline  
post #838 of 1427 Old 05-02-2013, 11:47 AM
Member
 
jdbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
There is no video generation from the SC-1222 to the TV at all, not even in setup mode. Tried turning off video conversion, no change. Removed it and put the Onkyo back in, works fine.

Of course now the actual seller (Worldwide Distributors) wants me to return it at my own expense for exchange. And the silly UPS office here closes at 9AM believe it or not!
jdbob is offline  
post #839 of 1427 Old 05-02-2013, 12:01 PM
Member
 
LNEWoLF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 97
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Jdbob - Have you updated the Pioneer AVR by usb only to the latest firmware on pioneers website. Are you using the latest high speed hdmi cables.

Mitz DLP 73740
Pioneer SC 1222K
Pioneer BDP 150
Apple I Pad Retina
Fronts Cerwin Vega AT-12
Center JBL Northridge EC-35
Surround Rear JBL CST-56
Surround Back Advent
LNEWoLF is offline  
post #840 of 1427 Old 05-02-2013, 12:11 PM
Member
 
Rob_63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 80
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I remember reading a review or two about a problem with the HDMI printed circuit board coming loose inside the cabinet and causing video failure, how secure do your HDMI inputs feel? 


AVR - Pioneer SC1222k

Display - LG 60" Plasma

Front - JBL L880's

Center - JBL LC2

Surrounds X 4 - JBL ES80bk's

Subs - Dual Premier Acoustic PA-150's

BR - Panasonic DMP-BDT500

DVD/CD - Toshiba HD-A35

CD Spinner - Some Sony HDMI 5 disk changer

2 channel Speakers - Martin Logan Motion 12's

 

Rob_63 is offline  
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off