"OFFICIAL" Pioneer SC-1222-K Owners Thread - Page 37 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #1081 of 1430 Old 07-18-2013, 10:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm pretty sure all those issues will be resolved in 3 or so years. We'll just have to wait and see. And like I said, if ARC doesn't cover you, there will always be splitters.

Anyway, i have a question. Is there a way to rearrange the speaker setup? When I see the virtual setup display it has the surround speakers slightly behind the hearing spot, but I can't have them like that and have them to the sides, slightly in front. Is there any way to virtually move the speakers? The current setup isn't working when playing games and MCACC didn't seem to fix it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 1430 Old 07-19-2013, 12:30 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senkoy View Post

I'm pretty sure all those issues will be resolved in 3 or so years. We'll just have to wait and see. And like I said, if ARC doesn't cover you, there will always be splitters.

Anyway, i have a question. Is there a way to rearrange the speaker setup? When I see the virtual setup display it has the surround speakers slightly behind the hearing spot, but I can't have them like that and have them to the sides, slightly in front. Is there any way to virtually move the speakers? The current setup isn't working when playing games and MCACC didn't seem to fix it.
Settings then option 4 then speaker set up and you can change the surround from back to side. Hope that helps
post #1083 of 1430 Old 07-19-2013, 02:06 AM

That does help, thank you. I was hoping you could slide the speakers around but I guess this will have to do.

And one other question. Can you switch inputs without turning on the receiver? I know it's possible with other receivers but I have not been able to get it to work on this one.
post #1084 of 1430 Old 07-19-2013, 04:47 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

That does help, thank you. I was hoping you could slide the speakers around but I guess this will have to do.

And one other question. Can you switch inputs without turning on the receiver? I know it's possible with other receivers but I have not been able to get it to work on this one.

Yes I use this fairly often. Just hit the desired input on the remote. I think some power settings may affect this behavior.
Salem
post #1085 of 1430 Old 07-20-2013, 03:03 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Looks like my tuner died!

I've had my 1222 a little less than six-months. After initial setup, I tested pretty much all the functions - the tuner worked fine. I haven't used the tuner much after the testing period but recently tried to ... and nothing. I had it connected to an outside antenna but switched back to the Pioneer provide indoor FM wire - nothing. No AM (Pioneer antenna), no FM, no signal. I did a reset to factory default - still nothing.

Contacted Pioneer via email. All they said was that if what I had tried so far did not fix it, then it's off to a service center.

Anybody else experience this? Any other fixes or do I need to take it in? Thanks
post #1086 of 1430 Old 07-21-2013, 10:46 PM

Quote:

HDMI pass through has to be turned on. Then you can use the remote.

But if you also turn on standby mode you can change it from the apple or android app.
post #1087 of 1430 Old 07-22-2013, 11:07 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 27
So, I have some questions about safely integrating this amp with my new speakers. I have an SVS pb-1000 sub (19hz-270hz +-3db) and just bought B & W M1's (64hz-23khz +-3db) to go with the 1222k. It's a 5.1 setup with the mains and surrounds wall mounted and the center sitting in front of my plasma on top of a fireplace. I needed a speaker that could give me more lower midrange without taking up space. Anyway, I am running the speakers at a 100hz crossover in a rather large room (over 4000 cubic feet). My question involves the wattages of the speakers and the amp. The 1222 is capable of 120 WPC at 8 ohms and higher at 6 or 4 ohms. The speakers are rated for 20-100 watts with a nominal impedance of 8 ohms and a minimum of 4 ohms. They also have a sensitivity rating of 85db. I currently set the pioneer receiver to stop at a volume max of -10db, so it can't go any lower than that. I haven't noticed any distortion or anything at -20db (that's the loudest I've gone), but my question is do you guys think that I have this system set up okay to avoid speaker distortion or damage? I don't really think I would even go down to -10db, but should I set the limit to -20db to be safe? The problem is weaker sources may need more, and -20db might not be enough.
post #1088 of 1430 Old 07-27-2013, 01:58 PM

Just got a chromecast and plugged it in. Set the HDMI port for it as default and via HDMI cec it will turn on the TV. Also since I never bought the wifi or BT adaptor so I used the powered HDMI port for the chromecast. Power stays on and doors not turn if when the unit goes into standby. Fell free to ask any questions.
post #1089 of 1430 Old 08-04-2013, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 58
I've been reading that subs don't sound as well with the 1222(or maybe it's just MCACC in general). Can anyone chime in on this please?

post #1090 of 1430 Old 08-04-2013, 02:38 PM

Some people say MCACC adjusts the subs too low. I use REW and a BFD to dial in my subs. After MCACC ran the overall level was reasonable when I measured it (using REW).

The other complaint is MCACC does not equalize the LFE channel. In my experience eq only goes so far. You cannot boost 15 db null with eq. You really need room treatments.

Salem
post #1091 of 1430 Old 08-04-2013, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member

The sub i'm looking at is the Klipsch 12D. Room is 11x17. Just want to know if it will still be able to get in the mid 20's and sound great with MCACC?

post #1092 of 1430 Old 08-05-2013, 03:09 AM

Hey guys the android app was updated last night. Seems they finally fixed the scrolling issues when trying Pandora stations or your list in dlna etc.

Update states bug fixes. Can anyone else confirm its now usable. Seemed it was on 4.2 that caused the issues as my wife's phone on 4.1 was fine and my phone on 4.3 was fine. But both had issues on any version of 4.2
post #1093 of 1430 Old 08-05-2013, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyekode View Post

Some people say MCACC adjusts the subs too low. I use REW and a BFD to dial in my subs. After MCACC ran the overall level was reasonable when I measured it (using REW).

The other complaint is MCACC does not equalize the LFE channel. In my experience eq only goes so far. You cannot boost 15 db null with eq. You really need room treatments.

Salem

With it not equalizing the LFE how will this effect the good sounding bass at mid 20's I can expect from this sub?

post #1094 of 1430 Old 08-05-2013, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by mijotter View Post

The sub i'm looking at is the Klipsch 12D. Room is 11x17. Just want to know if it will still be able to get in the mid 20's and sound great with MCACC?

You are expecting too much in my opinion with that sub. You would be better off with a DIY sub.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

post #1095 of 1430 Old 08-05-2013, 12:52 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

Subs are one of the biggest variables of an install. It all depends on how they are set up and affect the standing wave of a room. Too big, too much can yield a boomie mess or nothing. Good hardware to control and drive them is essential. Since installing the 1222, my sub is working better than it has in a long time. Matter of fact I was able to use a smaller one, Single 15" Horn Loaded Cetec-Gauss in a W-Bin, and get the performance of the larger, Dual 15" Horn Loaded Cetec-Gauss in a W-Bin. Both driven with an ADCOM GFA-1A. Although it works far better without any MCACC set up. I have the speaker settings set to small, even though they are JLB 4311 Studio Monitors and can go the distance at full range, XOver @ 80Hz, and the Sub set to Plus for constant operation. You can really tell the difference with it off, late night viewing, and it's not overbearing when it's on. It's perfect says my neighbors. It fills in nicely. When I ran MCACC it only mucked things up. And I am noticing with the 1222 that the less "alteration" I do the better the sound. But then I have always thought Pure and Simple makes for the best sound.

Wow! Lady by the Commodores just came on Pandora, had to crank it, and what a great solid snap on the lower end. Just the type of sound I try to get in my club installs. Quick-Mix is really good today.

. . . fb
mijotter likes this.
post #1096 of 1430 Old 08-05-2013, 10:57 PM

I'm having an issue now. The passthrough is not working with audio on my laptop (havent tried the passthrough on anything else though). It used to work fine. I turned off the receiver and then it would connect to my TV without a problem, but now I'm only getting video and audio isn't working. I'm restarted my PC and unplugged the receiver over night but nothing. Has anyone encountered this and found a fix?
post #1097 of 1430 Old 08-06-2013, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mijotter View Post

With it not equalizing the LFE how will this effect the good sounding bass at mid 20's I can expect from this sub?

Bass doesn't "sound" at 20-30 hz smile.gif. I apply some minor shaping with a BFD in this region. It would probably be fine without.

But one thing you will notice if you take measurements is at each location there is significantly different reaponse unless you treat the room no amount of eq will fix the problem.
Salem
post #1098 of 1430 Old 08-06-2013, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

I meant good bass without distortion and what not. For treatments would you recommend bass traps in all the corners?

The 12D can get to mid 20's and still "sound" good and clean just don't want the MCACC to affect this.

post #1099 of 1430 Old 08-06-2013, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 137
MCACC does not need to do anything in the 20-30 Hz region. The only thing that may need to be done under 63 Hz is a bass boost for sealed subs and maybe to cut a peak in the 30-50 Hz region which MCACC will address it 2nd or 3rd harmonic in the standing wave setting. Not using MCACC is not advised since it is doing so many other things.

Before getting room TX, read the SC 09 or 07 MCACC manual and figure out the reverb characteristic of your room. MCACC can also help in that respect and save you some dough.

Klipsch RF 7 based HT 7.4, Pioneer SC 35, Acurus Five 200 amp, Chase SS 18.2(2), VS 18.1(2), Samsung BDP F 7500, Asus/My Book Live HPC 4 TB

Yaquin VK 2100 amp, McIntosh XR 5 speakers, Samsung BDP F 7500
post #1100 of 1430 Old 08-06-2013, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerBob View Post

Subs are one of the biggest variables of an install. It all depends on how they are set up and affect the standing wave of a room. Too big, too much can yield a boomie mess or nothing. Good hardware to control and drive them is essential. Since installing the 1222, my sub is working better than it has in a long time. Matter of fact I was able to use a smaller one, Single 15" Horn Loaded Cetec-Gauss in a W-Bin, and get the performance of the larger, Dual 15" Horn Loaded Cetec-Gauss in a W-Bin. Both driven with an ADCOM GFA-1A. Although it works far better without any MCACC set up. I have the speaker settings set to small, even though they are JLB 4311 Studio Monitors and can go the distance at full range, XOver @ 80Hz, and the Sub set to Plus for constant operation. You can really tell the difference with it off, late night viewing, and it's not overbearing when it's on. It's perfect says my neighbors. It fills in nicely. When I ran MCACC it only mucked things up. And I am noticing with the 1222 that the less "alteration" I do the better the sound. But then I have always thought Pure and Simple makes for the best sound.

Wow! Lady by the Commodores just came on Pandora, had to crank it, and what a great solid snap on the lower end. Just the type of sound I try to get in my club installs. Quick-Mix is really good today.

. . . fb

Using the sub plus setting simply means you like more bass. MCACC will set the proper phase of the system and time align the system which is of value. Setting the speaker to Large VS small has nothing to do with their size. It is related to bass management. In general speakers set to Large= no or minimal bass management and Small= complete bass management. I have used MCACC with small subs, very large subs, ported, sealed and mix setups of ported and sealed subs and MCACC has always done a great job. Some people are not use to hearing a properly calibrated system especially when it comes to low bass which is not as audible.

Klipsch RF 7 based HT 7.4, Pioneer SC 35, Acurus Five 200 amp, Chase SS 18.2(2), VS 18.1(2), Samsung BDP F 7500, Asus/My Book Live HPC 4 TB

Yaquin VK 2100 amp, McIntosh XR 5 speakers, Samsung BDP F 7500
post #1101 of 1430 Old 08-07-2013, 01:50 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by derrickdj1 View Post

Using the sub plus setting simply means you like more bass. MCACC will set the proper phase of the system and time align the system which is of value. Setting the speaker to Large VS small has nothing to do with their size. It is related to bass management. In general speakers set to Large= no or minimal bass management and Small= complete bass management. I have used MCACC with small subs, very large subs, ported, sealed and mix setups of ported and sealed subs and MCACC has always done a great job. Some people are not use to hearing a properly calibrated system especially when it comes to low bass which is not as audible.

Well I'd agree with you if the MCACC did a good job of calibrating my system. It doesn't. Not saying that it won't work for others. As I said, it sounds much better minor non-automated adjustments. If you're serious about "auto on board calibration" most of these systems in receivers these days, although getting there, are half hearted at best. And the Plus setting for the sub is not giving me anymore than I got through my VSX-D909S set at flat. I am noting though that the upper end is very sharp with this unit. Although several decades in the audio business, I still have a pretty good upper range left. So I had pull that back a bit. On most all of my installs I still do most of the initial tuning with an RTA or RTA/EQ that's part of the system and then tweak by ear.

And yes proper tuning is a must. That's why I used their "THX" settings (speakers set at small, no low end below the rolloff setting) and the 80Hz rolloff for the sub with no major onboard adjustments (other than knocking some off the top) and got better sound. And yup the low end is a feeling thing, not a hearing thing. "Just wait until you feel how good it sounds." That was the tag line of my first audio company. I love when things move. But are in balance with the rest.

Below is one of my current projects. There's gonna be lots of low end there:

post #1102 of 1430 Old 08-09-2013, 08:12 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjohn View Post

1222k on new egg for. 479.99 today free shipping.

Now Costco online @ $469, free shipping.
post #1103 of 1430 Old 08-10-2013, 12:34 PM

I'm setting up a Dedicated Wired Music Server (iMac g5) to my 1222 using a USB.

Was wondering if anyone is using a DAC with the Pioneer 1222 or if the built in converter is treating the sound right?

I'm on the fence about picking up the DAC as there are so many different opinions on them.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Todd
post #1104 of 1430 Old 08-11-2013, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudz25 View Post

I'm setting up a Dedicated Wired Music Server (iMac g5) to my 1222 using a USB.

Was wondering if anyone is using a DAC with the Pioneer 1222 or if the built in converter is treating the sound right?

I'm on the fence about picking up the DAC as there are so many different opinions on them.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Todd

Out of curiosity why do you want to wire it in?Why not stream over the network?

Just for a data point: last year I spent almost an hour A/B'ing two DAC's. I used itunes to stream to 2 different airport expesses at the same time. One I hooked up through analog and one through optical into my older (but top of the line) AVR. I could switch between them just by changing inputs. To my surprise I did in fact notice a difference. But I didn't prefer one over the other. They were different in tangible ways but they both sounded great to me smile.gif.

Good luck!
Salem
post #1105 of 1430 Old 08-13-2013, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyekode View Post

Out of curiosity why do you want to wire it in?Why not stream over the network?

Just for a data point: last year I spent almost an hour A/B'ing two DAC's. I used itunes to stream to 2 different airport expesses at the same time. One I hooked up through analog and one through optical into my older (but top of the line) AVR. I could switch between them just by changing inputs. To my surprise I did in fact notice a difference. But I didn't prefer one over the other. They were different in tangible ways but they both sounded great to me smile.gif.

Good luck!
Salem

I'm going wired with hopes to play some hi-rez files in the future along with maximizing quality of current Flac/Apple Lossless files.

So, in a nutshell, it sounds like I should at least audition a DAC.
post #1106 of 1430 Old 08-13-2013, 04:02 PM

Quote:

I'm going wired with hopes to play some hi-rez files in the future along with maximizing quality of current Flac/Apple Lossless files.

Wifi is fine for streaming everything except for ATSC TV. It is fine for all audio I have tried.

I prefer to keep the PC/Mac remote from the reciever and put it in a more convenient location. But then again I hide my reciever away...
post #1107 of 1430 Old 08-13-2013, 04:02 PM

Quote:

You do realize this apple airplay right? Is there a limitation with airplay you are concerned about? If so there is also DLNA for other streaming options. And since you are not using another device you would be using the AVR built in DAC. Then tweak to your liking. Also DLNA should handle any flac file you throw at it. So, IMHO i think you are over analyzing this and should stop and apply the K.I.S.S method.

just my 2 cents
post #1108 of 1430 Old 08-13-2013, 06:44 PM

I have a question about HDMI handshake on the SC-1222K, I have an HTPC hooked up through HDMI to the receiver. The problem I have is that if the PC is on before the receiver the sound comes through messed up, it skips and jumps and the only solution is to restart the computer. Does anyone else experience this? Also do you have a solution? Our HTPC is on most of the time doing office duty, the Reciever only goes on when watching movies, playing music etc... And its a pain to have to shut down everything and restart the machine. For the record I do not remember this being a problem with my previous denon AVR 791. And for a while I thought it was a problem with the AMD 7950 graphics card HDMI drivers. But recently I switched to a NVidia GTX770 and the symptoms are the same.

Also is there anyway to make the receiver boot up any faster? It takes this thing longer than even my oldest computers to turn on fully.

TL;DR why is HDMI such a horrible standard?
post #1109 of 1430 Old 08-13-2013, 06:49 PM

Can you leave it in network standby? Only uses 7 watts.
Salem
post #1110 of 1430 Old 08-13-2013, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PubFiction View Post

TL;DR why is HDMI such a horrible standard?

Plain and simple : DRM
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page