AVS Forum banner

"OFFICIAL" Pioneer SC-1222-K Owners Thread

161K views 2K replies 220 participants last post by  Shock96 
#1 ·
Pioneer SC-1222-K

Pioneer Product Page and Specs

Product Info Quoted from Pioneer Site:

Class D3 Amplification

The SC-1222’s Class D3 7-channel amplifier is one of the most powerful amplifiers of any multi-channel A/V receiver Pioneer has ever produced. Designed for audiophiles, Class D3 amplification features a direct signal path, with no EMI filters, feedback loops, or current limiters. Unlike regular amps, Class D3 amplifiers are 4-OHM certified so they safely power those low-impedance speakers that other receivers just can’t handle. These amplifiers run cool, using just a fraction of the energy of less efficient designs. Class A/B amplifiers simply cannot match the efficiency of Class D3 as their power output per channel diminishes rapidly when more channels are added to the work-load. This kind of unprecedented power capability allows you to appreciate the full dynamics from any media source in a way never before possible.

Fine-Tune Your Sound with Advanced MCACC

Like a musical instrument, your home theater system needs to be tuned. Pioneer's Advanced Multi-Channel Acoustic Calibration system (MCACC®) provides an optimized, multi-channel listening experience that's calibrated and customized specifically to your room by measuring every speaker's connection, and noting size and distance from the listening point, sound levels and timbre.

Differences between SC-61 and 1222-K

For people trying to find the differences between the cheapest class D3 amplifier (Pioneer SC-1222K) and the second cheapest D3 amplifier to date (Pioneer Elite SC-61):

- SC-61 has 2 12V triggers for remote systems, SC-1222K doesn't have any.

- SC-61 has 2 IR inputs while SC-1222 has just 1.

- +1 Year Warranty for the SC-61

- Display color in amber for the SC-61, blue for the SC-1222K

- ELITE logo in the front keypad door in the SC-61.

- SC-1222K can be found down to $550, and SC-61 down to $716 while Pioneer's MSRP is $1100 for both to date.

The rest is exactly the same, including the remarkable amplification stage. There was some confusion in other threads about a couple of features that both the SC-61 and SC-1222K actually share:

- Both have Hi-Bit 24bits up to 48KHz Audio (requantization enhancement system for lower bit depth audio sources).

- Both have Manual MCACC.

Here is the review of the SC-61. (Very similar to the 1222-K)

http://www.hometheater.com/content/pioneer-elite-sc-61-av-receiver

On Sale quite often at Newegg:

Here

Wireless Adapters for the SC-1222-K

Trendnet Gaming Adapter

ASUS EA-66

Tweaks, Tips and Tricks

1. Firmware update can ONLY be done via USB, make sure to reformat to FAT32 even if it is already FAT32 (Mine was already formatted to FAT32, but wouldn't read, reformatted and it worked perfectly)

2. Enter your Pandora credentials through the OSD, not the AVControl2012 app.

3. Download latest firmware here

4. Download manual here

5. EASY PANDORA ACCOUNT ACCESS:

This is the web server screen, the best configuration method so far for Pandora and it works perfectly. You just have to write the network address of the SC-1222K using your favorite internet browser from a PC, iPad, iPhone, etc... connected to the same home network.

See less See more
#1,229 ·
Hey Guys,

Interesting issue with my new receiver. At certain loud scenes the receiver just shuts off. Not hot or anything.

The iPod light blinks....looking that up....Amp Error or something along those lines.

All my cables are using banana plugs except for the ones hooked up into the EP4000.

I checked all the plugs and none are touching each other as far as i can tell. I'm not seeing any lose unshielded wires off doing their own thing.

Anything else that may cause this error?

Thanks

Urlryn

#1,230 ·

Ok guys I have some thoughts on this unit. I would also appreciate some feedback to help me out.

I originally purchased an Onkyo 626 couple of weeks ago but subsequently saw the SC-1227k on sale at best buy canada for $599 (same price as Onkyo) so I picked it up. As a result I have now both receivers to do a head to head with.

First of all the Pioneer is a beast and looks beautiful. I love the look and size as well as all the features it has. This post is not going to be about feature comparison as we all know what they are between the two receivers.

Looks not withstanding this is going to be about the sound. My reference material was Eagles Hotel California HD lossless FLAC for music and Bat Man Begins (specifically the tumbler chase sequence). Both receivers on default settings after auto calibration. On Pioneer I tried both Symmetry and Chan Adj modes.

My Speakers are the KEF T 305 which I love for both looks and sound. Having first tried the Onkyo I was impressed with the detail and imaging of the sound. At that point I was happy as I had nothing to compare it to and was over all satisfied with the sound. The bass was punchy and tight, the localization of effects was great and plenty of power. What really impressed me was the broad sound stage it created and the detail of the sound. 

I tried music and found the Onkyo to be clean and pleasant but with an over all edge. I wouldn't call it "bright" but a little edgey - tight bass and clean vocals, adequate sound stage.

Ok Pioneer turn. Needless to say I was super excited when I picked up the Pioneer as I heard great things about the D class amp and the power, I couldn't wait to plug it in. What a gorgeous beast this receiver is.

I first tried Batman Begins - same tumbler chase sequence I was very familiar with from the Onkyo as I watched it several time and had a good reference point. First impression - deep muscular powerful sound - I punched up the volume and the receiver kept composure at levels beyond that of the Onkyo (I would never watch at that volume however, this was just a test) Ok so the thing has power, lots of it. The room shook from the bass and everything "seemed" to be going well - I am impressed.  Ok this is where things start going sideways for me with the Pioneer. As I continue to watch sequence I am beginning to notice that the Bass is not as tight. Sure it's loud, and it shakes my livingroom but it's lacking "punch"  I ran the sequence a few times to get familiar with the sound and back to Onkyo for another comparison.

Immediately I now hear a much greater sound stage - it's as if the Onkyo is able to create greater channel separation and movement of the effects. The Bass is also a lot punchier. Where the Pioneer offered power and rumble, the Onkyo is able to produce a much tighter and more impact-full base response. Dialogue is also louder and cleaner. The sound seems smoother and less fatiguing. But the biggest thing I notice is the detail of the sound compared to that of the Pioneer creating a more immersive and seamless sound-stage. 

At this point I'm thinking this cannot be right - look at that beast that is the pioneer with it's D class amps, surely I am imagining things. Back I go to pioneer - again BIG SOUND but lacking the detail, punchy clear bass and channel separation/movement. 

I obsessively fiddled with all the settings and calibrations to try and get this receiver to sound better to no avail. I am especially curious about the way the DACS might differ in the two receivers as I find the 5.1 experience significantly better on the Onkyo. Going back from on to the other is almost night and day in terms of seamless sound that sounds just "right" vs the muscular but almost crude sound of the pioneer.

For music however the Pioneer is a clear winner here. It's as if the strengths of Onkyo completely disappear when moving to two channel sound and what was a weakness of the Pioneer now shines providing a powerful smooth and nuanced sound. 

Final thoughts and questions. Is it possible that Onkyo simply has superior sound processing for multi channel soundtracks? And for Pioneer, as good as the amp is, its failure lies the processing?

I have no other explanation as I tried all various settings to get the Pioneer to the same level as the Onkyo. I would love some feedback as I want to keep the Pioneer for various reasons, but as it stands I have no choice but to keep it off my shelf. My return deadline is Jan 5th so I will probably still give it a go again but after at least 6 or 7 swap outs/tests the differences in my setup are undeniable in favor of the Onkyo. 

What you guys think? 

P.S I am not an Onkyo fan boy and this is my first Onkyo. I really want to love and keep this Pioneer - HELP!

#1,231 ·
Did you try the directions from the MCACC post? http://www.avsforum.com/t/1112470/official-pioneer-mcacc-thread When I first messed with my 1222k and did the full auto MCACC, I too had my reservations. I was coming from a old Sony ES AVR, and the Sony had a warmer sound to it. After I followed the stepup steps from the MCACC post, it was MUCH better.

#1,232 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratified  /t/1456710/official-pioneer-sc-1222-k-owners-thread/1230#post_23970149

Did you try the directions from the MCACC post? http://www.avsforum.com/t/1112470/official-pioneer-mcacc-thread When I first messed with my 1222k and did the full auto MCACC, I too had my reservations. I was coming from a old Sony ES AVR, and the Sony had a warmer sound to it. After I followed the stepup steps from the MCACC post, it was MUCH better.
No not yet, to be honest I am not quite sure what to do. The reverb capture delays and such. Little out of my league.

#1,233 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filip Gracz  /t/1456710/official-pioneer-sc-1222-k-owners-thread/1230#post_23970196

No not yet, to be honest I am not quite sure what to do. The reverb capture delays and such. Little out of my league.
Just follow the steps in the first post, cookbook style. You can experiment once you understand the process (which is one of the very nice advantages of MCACC), but, for now, use that to get closer to where you want to be.

#1,234 ·
I have Infinity Beta 50's as my L/R in my 7.1 setup. I hooked the low frequency terminals up to the Front wide/height Speaker B terminals on the Receiver. Did the calibration under Normal front wide. Sound came out of every speaker and driver during calibration. However when I watch a movie nothing is coming out of the low frequency drivers on the Beta 50's. And in 5.1 movies the rears do not work either. Advice please.

#1,237 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckychuck7  /t/1456710/official-pioneer-sc-1222-k-owners-thread/1230#post_23991297

My local Costco in Southern California still has about 10 of this. The regular price is further reduces to $399 now, from $470 when I got it 3 months ago.
Because of your pointing this out, I called my local Costco and they had 7 left in stock...so I ran out and picked one out for the $399.99 (plus tax) on Tuesday to power a pair of RTIA9s!  Thank you, I am enjoying it right now!

Now if I can get a steal on a CSIA6!!!

Quick question for anyone:  How can I get the audio from the TV to my speakers?

#1,238 ·
I did a little experiment today. I tried my Maggie MMG's on the Pioneer and it was complete disaster. I got better sound out of my computer speakers lol. I would like to know which 4ohm speakers they test these units with to get this 4ohm certification.

Fortunately the unit powers 8ohm speakers just fine. But owmers beware - the 4ohm capability seems a gimmick at best. It "works" in the sense the receiver won't go into protection but the results are horrific. The distortion is terrible.

#1,242 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filip Gracz  /t/1456710/official-pioneer-sc-1222-k-owners-thread/1200_100#post_24009595

I did a little experiment today. I tried my Maggie MMG's on the Pioneer and it was complete disaster. I got better sound out of my computer speakers lol. I would like to know which 4ohm speakers they test these units with to get this 4ohm certification.

Fortunately the unit powers 8ohm speakers just fine. But owmers beware - the 4ohm capability seems a gimmick at best. It "works" in the sense the receiver won't go into protection but the results are horrific. The distortion is terrible.

I've used a full Maggie setup with Pioneer VSX-49txi & VSX-59txi which are class a/b amps that Pioneer never rated at 4 ohm and had excellent sound: 1.6s, cc3 center, mg1s as surrounds - far more demanding than your mmg's. I upgraded to 3.6's for fronts, put them on an ext amp, bought the SC-09tx and used it for all the rest, now an SC-68 and my Maggies still sound great! In each case, I always tried the 3.6's with the SC models just to see how well the receiver handled them and they sounded just fine to me, no strain, no "distortion" even in Pure Direct so my subs were not used for 2 ch music and movies. Since I owned, bought and paid for the ext amp for the fronts and it was a lot more powerful than even the mighty SC09, I kept it.

But at no time did I feel the sound was lacking with the Pioneers, but 600 watts at 8ohms is better than 140 or even 200
But all the rest of the speakers still powered by Pioneers always sounded great to my ears, both with MCACC on and in Pure Direct.

IMO, you either don't have you setup right or just don't like your sound. There are a number of Maggie users here besides me that use SC models with Magnepans and are happy, member DonH50 comes to mind, using a SC-27 with Maggie IIIA's.

Its possible the 1222, with less power is not giving you what you like but I wouldn't condemn all SC models nor the amps just based on the 1222. Lets be honest, the 1222 is not one of the top models - you didn't spend a whole lot for it, so don't expect it to be equal to the top models.

But the class D amps are very capable. and do work with Magnepan speakers. Just maybe not to your liking....

#1,243 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001  /t/1456710/official-pioneer-sc-1222-k-owners-thread/1230#post_24011816

I've used a full Maggie setup with Pioneer VSX-49txi & VSX-59txi which are class a/b amps that Pioneer never rated at 4 ohm and had excellent sound: 1.6s, cc3 center, mg1s as surrounds - far more demanding than your mmg's. I upgraded to 3.6's for fronts, put them on an ext amp, bought the SC-09tx and used it for all the rest, now an SC-68 and my Maggies still sound great! In each case, I always tried the 3.6's with the SC models just to see how well the receiver handled them and they sounded just fine to me, no strain, no "distortion" even in Pure Direct so my subs were not used for 2 ch music and movies. Since I owned, bought and paid for the ext amp for the fronts and it was a lot more powerful than even the mighty SC09, I kept it.

But at no time did I feel the sound was lacking with the Pioneers, but 600 watts at 8ohms is better than 140 or even 200
But all the rest of the speakers still powered by Pioneers always sounded great to my ears, both with MCACC on and in Pure Direct.

IMO, you either don't have you setup right or just don't like your sound. There are a number of Maggie users here besides me that use SC models with Magnepans and are happy, member DonH50 comes to mind, using a SC-27 with Maggie IIIA's.

Its possible the 1222, with less power is not giving you what you like but I wouldn't condemn all SC models nor the amps just based on the 1222. Lets be honest, the 1222 is not one of the top models - you didn't spend a whole lot for it, so don't expect it to be equal to the top models.

But the class D amps are very capable. and do work with Magnepan speakers. Just maybe not to your liking....

Hmm this is a 1222-k thread is it not? I am happy to hear the models further up the line are more capable. I also cannot speak about the 4ohm surround capability as I only tried pure direct stereo mode with the Maggie's . I have a feeling were i to power my fronts with a separate amp the distortion would be less obvious and quite possibly camouflaged for the surrounds if there was any. Given the fact I was running pure direct with a blank mcacc profile "setup" was not an issue.

As for not liking the "sound" heh listen....I don't expect a creamy smooth nuanced sound one would get out a good separate combo. We are talking about obvious clipping and distortion at respectable volume levels.

#1,244 ·
^^

OK

I'll ask...is this your 1st pair of Maggies? How long have you owned & used them? And what did you power them with before the 1222?

You do realize that Maggies are very inefficient speakers, some of the least efficient speakers one could buy, meaning gobs of power (and current) to achieve the same volume as a DefTech, Klipsch, etc. There is approx at least a 5 to 10 dB difference in volume for 1 watt @ 1 meter between a Maggie and a conventional speaker (~95 dB efficient). that is huge!

It will take about 6 to 10 times the power to achieve the same peak volume and make up that difference.

I can tell you that I bought little Martin Logan Motion 4 bookshelves as height speakers above the 3.6's and out of the box, pre-calibration, they were a lot louder than my 6 ft tall, 2 ft wide 3.6's! that's the difference between a speaker that's 90 dB efficient and one that's 85 dB efficient. Post calibration, they were level matched of course.

Especially if you didn't have a subwoofer and all bass is handled by the MMG's and 'you heard distortion, then yes you are over-driving the speakers, the amps or both.

Did any of the distortion sound like a buzzing or even rattling sound (like a ddddd)? if so, that is not the amps but the mylar film that has the wiring glued onto it slapping against the magnets on the frames. Meaning it can't reproduce the bass at that volume.

just some more food for thought re efficiency -

you listened in Pure Direct mode, no calibration. part of the MCACC calibration is to set the preamp output levels for each speaker. since these are low efficiency speakers and volume/watt is low, the calibration will boost the channel levels to compensate and achieve reference volume level (0.0 dB on the dial). from my own experience, sitting about 10 ft away from the fronts, your MMG's will probably get boosted about +2 to +5 dB after calibration, so the amps won't have to work as hard.

and some suggestions -

if you intend to use MMG's with only a low freq response of 50 HZ without a sub and trying to reproduce low bass down to 20 Hz that's in the LFE channel in movies. The speaker will not be able to do it and will protest - the panel will bottom out against the magnets. I've owned Maggies since 1982 and know their strengths and their weaknesses.

If you want to use your MMG's in a home theater setup for loud with large dynamic peaks and explosions, shots, etc, you are going to need a sub if you don't have one already. if you do have a sub, set the MMG to small, with crossover of 80 HZ. this is my advice no matter what receiver or amps you use them with....

one last thought -

from 30 yrs experience with Magnepans, IMHO, a $500 receiver from any company is inadequate to the task. You need to get a receiver with some balls (large power supply) or go ext amps. almost any Maggie owner would have advised you to look at more expensive, more powerful receiver or get another speaker. IF you had paired the MMG's with the SC-67 or 68, I believe you would have been much happier. A budget receiver and low efficiency speaker is not a good match. power needed kind of depends on what listening to. music, I use to power MG-1's with 60 clean watts per ch but it had a 950 watt transformer. but for home theater, with a bass limited speaker (50 hz is good but not full range), MMG's will crap out without a sub.

there's a dedicated Magnepan owners thread here and a dedicated Magnepan forum and many owners would have been happy to give you advice on what to use with MMG's.

http://www.integracoustics.com/MUG/MUG/

#1,245 ·
and one more idea

if you bought the MMG's new or are original owner, and know how they sounded before, this wouldn't apply. but if you got them used from someone and this is the 1st time you're listening to them...

it's possible that some section of the wiring grid is delaminated from the mylar film, meaning not glued on the surface anymore. this has never happened to any of mine, but all mine were never in direct sunlight which degrades the adhesive over time. the wiring can come unglued and the mylar vibrates against it, causing a distorted sound. you can DIY repairs but most I think send back to magnepan for repair

another possibility if you didn't get them brand new from Magnepan.

#1,246 ·

I hope someone who owns this receiver can help me.

I am looking to purchase one of these but I need clarification on the dimensions.  The Pioneer website lists the height at 7.28" while the manual has it at 7 1/4 ".   While that may seem insignificant I need to slide it under a support bar, and if it measures 7 1/4 it fits while at 7.28 it may not unless I alter the feet.

Can someone confirm the actual height?  Also since I may need to mess with the feet are they attached with screws?

#1,247 ·
You are splitting hairs on 1/32 of an inch (pun intended). The specification from one unit to the next could be off by that much. The wobble in a tape measure can be off that much. Based on my unit I would want at least 7 3/8 inches clearance and based on my measurement 7.28 is more accurate. Chances are they knew that no one would think in terms of 7.28 so they rounded to the nearest 1/4 inch assuming no one would try to fit it in anything less than 7.5 inches and your space was clearly set at 7.25 inches.

#1,248 ·
I cut a piece of card stock 7.25 on one side and a little over on the other. When I slide it under the support the short side fits but the other side touches. Once it goes under the support I have clearance so that is not a concern, it is just getting it in place.

What about the feet? Can they be removed to shave them down?

#1,249 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat man  /t/1456710/official-pioneer-sc-1222-k-owners-thread/1230#post_24017110

Once it goes under the support I have clearance so that is not a concern, it is just getting it in place.

How much "clearance"? You realize that you need room around it for air circulation, not just to squeeze it in place?

#1,250 ·

Hi guys... I'm in the market for a new AV Receiver to replace my Pioneer Elite VSX-80. I need more HDMI inputs and 2 HDMI ports isn't cutting it anymore. I read your review of the Sony STR-DN1040 on CNET and I was leaning towards getting the Sony until I saw the Pioneer SC-1222-K for only $399 at Costco. That price seemed really low for a Pioneer. Has anyone had major problems with theirs? My Pioneer Elite has never had any problems and I love it... just wish I had more inputs. Thanks!

#1,251 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstang99  /t/1456710/official-pioneer-sc-1222-k-owners-thread/1230#post_24023656

Hi guys... I'm in the market for a new AV Receiver to replace my Pioneer Elite VSX-80. I need more HDMI inputs and 2 HDMI ports isn't cutting it anymore. I read your review of the Sony STR-DN1040 on CNET and I was leaning towards getting the Sony until I saw the Pioneer SC-1222-K for only $399 at Costco. That price seemed really low for a Pioneer. Has anyone had major problems with theirs? My Pioneer Elite has never had any problems and I love it... just wish I had more inputs. Thanks!
I personally have owned this for a week now.  I also bought it from Costco for $399.  I like it over the HK 3700 ($1000) and Onkyo 626 ($450).  Value-wise, I think its helluva deal...considering a new one on Amazon is $599 or a refurbished one is $572!!!  I'm still a newbie, what the heck do I know!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.