AVS Forum banner

"OFFICIAL" Pioneer SC-1222-K Owners Thread

161K views 2K replies 220 participants last post by  Shock96 
#1 ·
Pioneer SC-1222-K

Pioneer Product Page and Specs

Product Info Quoted from Pioneer Site:

Class D3 Amplification

The SC-1222’s Class D3 7-channel amplifier is one of the most powerful amplifiers of any multi-channel A/V receiver Pioneer has ever produced. Designed for audiophiles, Class D3 amplification features a direct signal path, with no EMI filters, feedback loops, or current limiters. Unlike regular amps, Class D3 amplifiers are 4-OHM certified so they safely power those low-impedance speakers that other receivers just can’t handle. These amplifiers run cool, using just a fraction of the energy of less efficient designs. Class A/B amplifiers simply cannot match the efficiency of Class D3 as their power output per channel diminishes rapidly when more channels are added to the work-load. This kind of unprecedented power capability allows you to appreciate the full dynamics from any media source in a way never before possible.

Fine-Tune Your Sound with Advanced MCACC

Like a musical instrument, your home theater system needs to be tuned. Pioneer's Advanced Multi-Channel Acoustic Calibration system (MCACC®) provides an optimized, multi-channel listening experience that's calibrated and customized specifically to your room by measuring every speaker's connection, and noting size and distance from the listening point, sound levels and timbre.

Differences between SC-61 and 1222-K

For people trying to find the differences between the cheapest class D3 amplifier (Pioneer SC-1222K) and the second cheapest D3 amplifier to date (Pioneer Elite SC-61):

- SC-61 has 2 12V triggers for remote systems, SC-1222K doesn't have any.

- SC-61 has 2 IR inputs while SC-1222 has just 1.

- +1 Year Warranty for the SC-61

- Display color in amber for the SC-61, blue for the SC-1222K

- ELITE logo in the front keypad door in the SC-61.

- SC-1222K can be found down to $550, and SC-61 down to $716 while Pioneer's MSRP is $1100 for both to date.

The rest is exactly the same, including the remarkable amplification stage. There was some confusion in other threads about a couple of features that both the SC-61 and SC-1222K actually share:

- Both have Hi-Bit 24bits up to 48KHz Audio (requantization enhancement system for lower bit depth audio sources).

- Both have Manual MCACC.

Here is the review of the SC-61. (Very similar to the 1222-K)

http://www.hometheater.com/content/pioneer-elite-sc-61-av-receiver

On Sale quite often at Newegg:

Here

Wireless Adapters for the SC-1222-K

Trendnet Gaming Adapter

ASUS EA-66

Tweaks, Tips and Tricks

1. Firmware update can ONLY be done via USB, make sure to reformat to FAT32 even if it is already FAT32 (Mine was already formatted to FAT32, but wouldn't read, reformatted and it worked perfectly)

2. Enter your Pandora credentials through the OSD, not the AVControl2012 app.

3. Download latest firmware here

4. Download manual here

5. EASY PANDORA ACCOUNT ACCESS:

This is the web server screen, the best configuration method so far for Pandora and it works perfectly. You just have to write the network address of the SC-1222K using your favorite internet browser from a PC, iPad, iPhone, etc... connected to the same home network.

See less See more
#2 ·
My 1222-K should be here this weekend. I will be sure to post any tweaks, tips or tricks that I discover. If any current owners can contribute, please do. Also, if you have any suggestions for the original post, I will keep it updated.

#3 ·
What makes this receiver different from these two...

Denon AVR2313

Marantz SR5007

Thanks!

#4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by vedderpj13  /t/1456710/official-pioneer-sc-1222-k-owners-thread#post_22931244

Denon AVR2313

Marantz SR5007

Thanks!

Hey Vedder, I don't have all the answers to that question right off the top of my head but from what I can gather the 1222-K has Class D3 Amps that are some of the most powerful in AVRs today. Also, it has MCACC calibration instead of Audyssey or some flavor or it.

#5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dborgill  /t/1456710/official-pioneer-sc-1222-k-owners-thread#post_22931311

Hey Vedder, I don't have all the answers to that question right off the top of my head but from what I can gather the 1222-K has Class D3 Amps that are some of the most powerful in AVRs today. Also, it has MCACC calibration instead of Audyssey or some flavor or it.

Thanks, appreciate the response. Does this have less power? I think I recall seeing this receiver as having 100w total less than the other two I listed. I'm looking to buy a new receiver, and trying to figure out which of these 3 is the best.

#6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by vedderpj13  /t/1456710/official-pioneer-sc-1222-k-owners-thread#post_22931343

Thanks, appreciate the response. Does this have less power? I think I recall seeing this receiver as having 100w total less than the other two I listed. I'm looking to buy a new receiver, and trying to figure out which of these 3 is the best.

I think power ratings are a bit deceiving IMHO. I am just diving back into the AVR scene and learning that you can read for weeks and without hearing and testing the AVR in your environment, it's all meaningless. The 1222-K is 4 Ohm rated with the Class D3 Amp..

I'll have to dig up the thread of a guy who just went ahead and ordered both AVRs he was interested in (A high end Onkyo and the 1222-K) -- The Onkyo was rated as a higher output but he said the Pioneer just sounded better altogether and drove his speakers better. He kept the 1222-K and sent back the Onkyo

#7 ·
AHHHHHH, I am about to buy something and I cant figure out what. Since some of you guys are more knowledgeable than me, I am thinking about this one or the 1122-K. I have 110W jvc speakers and a powered sub. I really didnt want to jump to the $550 price range, but it is very tempting. As is the Denon 2113CI for $519. But I just keep wanting to spend the less money on the 1122-K. Convince me : )

#8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dborgill  /t/1456710/official-pioneer-sc-1222-k-owners-thread#post_22931383

I think power ratings are a bit deceiving IMHO. I am just diving back into the AVR scene and learning that you can read for weeks and without hearing and testing the AVR in your environment, it's all meaningless. The 1222-K is 4 Ohm rated with the Class D3 Amp..

I'll have to dig up the thread of a guy who just went ahead and ordered both AVRs he was interested in (A high end Onkyo and the 1222-K) -- The Onkyo was rated as a higher output but he said the Pioneer just sounded better altogether and drove his speakers better. He kept the 1222-K and sent back the Onkyo

The other thing that kind of makes me weary, why does this receiver consistently go for less than its Denon and Marantz counterparts? You don't see sale prices on those two I listed above like you do with this Pioneer, ya know.

#9 ·
Does anyone know if this does vertical video stretching for use with an anamorphic lens? (stretch a 2.35:1 picture to fill a 16x9 screen) I looked through the owner's manual online, and all it mentions is "aspect" switching for video. It doesn't show how many modes there are or what they do.

#10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by vedderpj13  /t/1456710/official-pioneer-sc-1222-k-owners-thread#post_22931244

Denon AVR2313

Marantz SR5007

Thanks!
Denon and Marantz are basically the same amplifier, both are brands of the same owner, D&M Holdings Inc. and both brands shares engineering, purchasing, manufacturing and distribution resources. Both amplifiers have a THD of 0.08% at 100W, really good for a class AB amplifier but nothing compared to the Pioneer SC-1222K. It is a class D3 amplifier and features a THD of 0.08% at 120W. At 100W the THD in the SC-1222k is less than 0.008%, 10 times less than the other contenders. That is a whole order of magnitude that leaves the Marantz and Denon in the dust.

The maximum real output power of the SC-1222K in multichannel mode @ 8ohm, 600W, can never be reached by the Marantz because the efficiency of a class AB amplifier near the non linear operation point is far from 100%. The SC-1222K can deliver 190 W/ch with 4 ohms speakers while still running cold.

I am sorry, but those amplifiers are far behind the SC-1222K in sound quality and technology.

On the other hand the SC-1222K does not have 4K pass through but... Is there any source out there delivering 4K video? are you planning on getting a 4K TV anytime soon, before changing the amplifier? anyway in case you had a 4K source and a 4K TV,you can attach the ultra high definition source to your TV directly and the SC-1222K can receive the sound from your TV since the SC-1222 HDMI output to the TV is bidirectional.

It is up to you, the three amplifiers are good and you won't be disappointed by any of them, but IMHO the SC-1222K is by far the best from the sound quality point of view.

Regards

#11 ·
Hence, with my 4 ohm speakers, in the end, I went with the 1222-K versus any other model or brand for the price.

I was super bummed to see some of the competition having 4K upscaling but then realized, I haven't even had my Panny Plasma for a year and I am not giving it up any time soon. By the time 4k is cheaper and mainstream, I'll just buy a new AVR.

I currently have a Marantz and LOVE it but it was time to upgrade. I will definitely give more feedback on my Marantz vs 1222-K this weekend..

EDIT: As for the killer deal on Newegg, I have no clue. They do have it regularly for $799 though so I think they do that with a lot of products (Ups and down depending on day/time)

#13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryWA  /t/1456710/official-pioneer-sc-1222-k-owners-thread#post_22932074

The 1222 was benched at 100W/CH ALL CHANNELS DRIVEN by HomeTheater.com. (their site is down or I would link it)

And in summary, what were the results?

#14 ·
Is this what you were talking about GaryWA?

#16 ·
This forum "Pioneer SC-1222-K Anyone" is the original "OFFICIAL 1222"; so can admins joins the forum so everyone follow just one; instead of splitting the 1222 forum?

Here is the link: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1441190/pioneer-sc-1222-k-anyone

Dborgill; the SC61 is exactly the same as the SC-1222; Just that SC-61 is the Elite line and adds 12V Trigger; other than that is exactly the same; internally is the same construction.

What you can see in the data is proving that D3 Amps are really 5ch or 7ch 120W channel driven. In comparison with other receivers which claims "125W per channel"; thats is true only for 2 channel Stereo; at 7 channels it drops significantly. On D3 Pioneer Amps you can see that all channels are pretty close to 120W @ 8ohms. D3 Amps are awesome!; and SQ is outstanding!

#17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dborgill  /t/1456710/official-pioneer-sc-1222-k-owners-thread#post_22932413

1 - This is the SC-61 ?

2 - What are we looking at here? I am not understanding what this data is saying..

Yes, it is sc-61. I couldn't find a review of SC-1222-K by that site mentioned by GAryWA. I assumed this is what he was talking about. SC-61 is identical to SC-1222-K anyway.

As for the data and graph I have no clue as I just purchased my SC-1222-K today. I should have it by tomorrow. I will continue to follow this thread.

#18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by javygonx  /t/1456710/official-pioneer-sc-1222-k-owners-thread#post_22932445

This forum "Pioneer SC-1222-K Anyone" is the original "OFFICIAL 1222"; so can admins joins the forum so everyone follow just one; instead of splitting the 1222 forum?

Here is the link: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1441190/pioneer-sc-1222-k-anyone

Dborgill; the SC61 is exactly the same as the SC-1222; Just that SC-61 is the Elite line and adds 12V Trigger; other than that is exactly the same; internally is the same construction.

What you can see in the data is proving that D3 Amps are really 5ch or 7ch 120W channel driven. In comparison with other receivers which claims "125W per channel"; thats is true only for 2 channel Stereo; at 7 channels it drops significantly. On D3 Pioneer Amps you can see that all channels are pretty close to 120W @ 8ohms. D3 Amps are awesome!; and SQ is outstanding!

Why not start an official 1222-K thread? I think some people skip over that thread...

I am fine with whatever but I thought it would be good to compile some data and I will keep the OP updated with pertinent data.

#19 ·
As for the results, other than the power output. It got 5 stars across the board if I remember correctly.

YOU should also read the other thread as it contains good information, say, that the SC-61 is the same as the 1222. Makes it seem like you wanted to jump the gun and make an "Official" thread without even reading what the other thread contained.

But since it's too late, make sure to update the OP with these tips.

1. Firmware update can ONLY be done via USB, make sure to reformat to FAT32 even if it is already FAT32 (Mine was already formatted to FAT32, but wouldn't read, reformatted and it worked perfectly)

2. Enter your Pandora credentials through the OSD, not the AVControl2012 app.

Here is the review of the SC-61.

The graph is just showing the distortion levels at different wattages, and as it is obvious, the most efficient blend of distortion and power is at ~100W.

#20 ·
GaryWA,

Thanks for the info. OP updated.

That last intent was to "hijack" any thread or make anyone upset. In fact, I am happy to ditch/delete this thread if that is better. I just didn't (nor do most people) want to dig through pages of random info and I didn't see any summarized info on that thread.

Let me know your thoughts and I happy to work something out.

#21 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dborgill  /t/1456710/official-pioneer-sc-1222-k-owners-thread#post_22933046

GaryWA,

Thanks for the info. OP updated.

That last intent was to "hijack" any thread or make anyone upset. In fact, I am happy to ditch/delete this thread if that is better. I just didn't (nor do most people) want to dig through pages of random info and I didn't see any summarized info on that thread.

Let me know your thoughts and I happy to work something out.

Nope, it's fine. If there was someway to merge threads it would be cool. The first post is usually the go to post for info, so this thread is definitely better in that respect.

#22 ·
Awesome -- Any other ideas for info to post in the OP? If javygonx gives permission, I'd love to post his bass tweaks as some have said they are a bit disappointed in that regard. I will comb through that thread and try to post any pertinent data there.

Thanks again -- You guys are great!

Oh man.. I hope this Newegg update isn't a typo:

Ship date 02/06/2013

Estimated delivery 02/07/2013

#23 ·
Good to know. Thats why I always said to email me for any comments. I just received a positive feedback from those who replied to me. That means that any who do not reply then dont like it. And thats what I want to hear. Im a bass guitar player for over 15 years. So I know when a bass sounds good and when is not. As far as I know it works great on my Polks RTiA7 and Definitive Technology 7006. Maybe it does not work to everyone but at least people can learn what they have to do to tweak and get better bass/sub performance.

Also that is the basics. The are other advanced methods we have to do to optimized it like working with the reverb, difffferent mic positions; reverb delays etc.... Feedback is needed to improve and perform tests. Anyway Im not going to post it here or send it to avs members unless they agreed to reply me with any feedback. Positive or negative. The goal is to trying to get the best performace on our AVRs. I have faith that this mcacc is better than audesey. AVRs with Audessey SuB Eq HT and BassXT is another story. Im not taking here about Multi, XT or XT32 but for some Audessey receivers which has a true SubEq system. XT32 claims to be very good too but I did not have the opportunity to try one. As for Audessey XT or below; I'd prefer the Advanced MCACC.

#24 ·
I will definitely try it. My tracking still say today for arrival but I can't tell my Newegg's crappy tracking system if it's accurate.

Anybody know what carried this tracking number would be from?

C17115601938XXX

I tried Fedex, UPS and DHL.. no dice.

#25 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dborgill  /t/1456710/official-pioneer-sc-1222-k-owners-thread#post_22930500

Here is the review of the SC-61. (Very similar to the 1222-K)

Just to mention that the page doesn't show when using Google Chrome Internet browser. Microsoft Internet Explorer seems to display it properly.

For people trying to find the differences between the cheapest class D3 amplifier (Pioneer SC-1222K) and the second cheapest D3 amplifier to date (Pioneer Elite SC-61):

- SC-61 has 2 12V triggers for remote systems, SC-1222K doesn't have any.

- SC-61 has 2 IR inputs while SC-1222 has just 1.

- +1 Year Warranty for the SC-61

- Display color in amber for the SC-61, blue for the SC-1222K

- ELITE logo in the front keypad door in the SC-61.

- SC-1222K can be found down to $550, and SC-61 down to $716 while Pioneer's MSRP is $1100 for both to date.

The rest is exactly the same, including the remarkable amplification stage. There was some confusion in other threads about a couple of features that both the SC-61 and SC-1222K actually share:

- Both have Hi-Bit 24bits up to 48KHz Audio (requantization enhancement system for lower bit depth audio sources).

- Both have Manual MCACC.

Regards

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.