post #271 of 299 Old 02-04-2014, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by prok View Post

1. I do not think he is trying to use ARC.

2. I have seen this done before and working but it has been a very long time, since everyone I know has a digital box now for cable.

3. If the TV is set to output audio through the TOSLINK, then theoretically the receiver should be picking up the signal.

1. well, he did refer to audio return, ARC, and HDMI so maybe he's confusing the terminology or I misinterpreted it. either is possible.

2. I have too but with players that I had connected with analog and digital and choosing the signal I wanted to listen to with SIGNAL SELECT. it works. I have also taken muxed analog coax video and used a separate box to separate the L/R analog audio out to send to a receiver. it works. I have also used a box that took composite video, L/R audio and muxed them together for Ch 3 coax output. that works. I have taken analog audio from my cable box to my Kuro and have it work using the analog audio output on the back of the plasma TV. but I have not tried doing any of this with digital tuners and a toslink connection or tried it with std analog cable to toslink = that is a questionable thing since the TV would need the conversion ability to convert analog to digital with built-in ADC chip. does it have one? don't know...

3. I agree completely. assuming the TV can output digital audio from a digital tuner or digital audio from an analog tuner wink.gif and there might be the issue...we don't know.

he says it worked with a VSX-30, but did it work with this TV with the same direct cable feed. and how did he connect it with the VSX-30?

if it did work with the same gear and same cable feed, then it's likely to work with the new receiver, assuming signal and input assignments are correct. what is highly unlikely is that the receiver is defective or can't do the same thing smile.gif

questions -

did he go into the setup menu and change the Toslink input assignment? it's default set to "TV" so if he also has something plugged into the HDMI TV or analog AV "TV" input, then he'll probably want to use the SIGNAL SELECT button to pick the toslink signal (change from Auto to Digital). as you know, you can't just plug connections in and expect them to automatically work. I assume he knows input assignments since he had a VSX-30 but it's possible that the input assignments in the menu are not matched with the physical cable connections. one thing he can try is assigning the Toslink input to an another input that has no other cable connections, HDMI, video or audio. so there is no possibility of conflict. that will narrow down to search to whether he's actually getting a digital audio signal from the TV wink.gif see all my explanations on TV capability with different types of sources.

too much is unknown about what he's done and how he's doing it to "blame" the receiver.

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 299 Old 02-04-2014, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveknj View Post

VSX 1023-K receiver here. Just got this. Biggest problem I'm having is that I cannot get my cable TV to play sound through this receiver (I have DirecTV too and that is my primary source, but I have basic cable as a backup wired directly to the TV with coax).

I have HDMI out from TV to receiver, and toslink out from TV to receiver. Putting receiver on TV (which is what I think the toslink is mapped to by default) yields ZERO sound. I've tried to use ARC but that also yields no sound. So for now the only way I can watch cable, is through the TV speakers. Any way to fix this? I had no problems with this on my old Pio VSX-30 Elite. If not, I think I'm going to send back to woot. There's a few other quirky things I don't like, but not enough to send it back, unless this doesn't work.

From reading everything above, it appears to me that your TV may not support ARC. The previous setup you had with the VSX-30 was not ARC. Have you tried selecting ARC to OFF under HDMI Setup? It appears to me that if ARC is set to ON, then the VSX 1023-K will look to the HDMI OUT connection for audio from the TV (ARC) and ignore the optical digital input. This might be why you are getting no sound despite the optical digital connection to OPTICAL IN1 (TV) input.
Quote:
For the TV input, only A (analog) or C1/O1 (digital) can be selected. However, if the ARC at HDMI Setup is set to ON, the input is fixed to H (HDMI) and cannot be changed.

I recommend trying to turn off ARC, and possibly CONTROL as well, under HDMI Setup and see if that corrects the issue.
post #273 of 299 Old 02-04-2014, 01:38 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post

1. well, he did refer to audio return, ARC, and HDMI so maybe he's confusing the terminology or I misinterpreted it. either is possible.

2. I have too but with players that I had connected with analog and digital and choosing the signal I wanted to listen to with SIGNAL SELECT. it works. I have also taken muxed analog coax video and used a separate box to separate the L/R analog audio out to send to a receiver. it works. I have also used a box that took composite video, L/R audio and muxed them together for Ch 3 coax output. that works. I have taken analog audio from my cable box to my Kuro and have it work using the analog audio output on the back of the plasma TV. but I have not tried doing any of this with digital tuners and a toslink connection or tried it with std analog cable to toslink = that is a questionable thing since the TV would need the conversion ability to convert analog to digital with built-in ADC chip. does it have one? don't know...

3. I agree completely. assuming the TV can output digital audio from a digital tuner or digital audio from an analog tuner wink.gif and there might be the issue...we don't know.

he says it worked with a VSX-30, but did it work with this TV with the same direct cable feed. and how did he connect it with the VSX-30?

if it did work with the same gear and same cable feed, then it's likely to work with the new receiver, assuming signal and input assignments are correct. what is highly unlikely is that the receiver is defective or can't do the same thing smile.gif

Here my solution. Go buy a digital box for your cable. They are cheap now. Plug that into the receiver and you have one less input to change to watch basic cable!! smile.gif
post #274 of 299 Old 02-04-2014, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC-Technerd View Post

From reading everything above, it appears to me that your TV may not support ARC. The previous setup you had with the VSX-30 was not ARC. Have you tried selecting ARC to OFF under HDMI Setup? It appears to me that if ARC is set to ON, then the VSX 1023-K will look to the HDMI OUT connection for audio from the TV (ARC) and ignore the optical digital input. This might be why you are getting no sound despite the optical digital connection to OPTICAL IN1 (TV) input.
I recommend trying to turn off ARC, and possibly CONTROL as well, under HDMI Setup and see if that corrects the issue.

good point, KC. you may be onto something. sorry I missed that but I think you're right, since typically ARC uses the TV input and that's exactly what the toslink input is assigned to by default in the receiver.

input assignments...I did cover that but didn't think of ARC maybe still being ON.

maybe that'll fix it! smile.gif

Steve
post #275 of 299 Old 02-05-2014, 05:26 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks to everyone here for all your help. I've figured it out. I turned ARC off, then I was able to switch the TV input on the AVR to use the toslink. I have to say, this is not the most intuitive AVR. But it does sound really good and I like the streaming features.

Steve
post #276 of 299 Old 02-05-2014, 05:48 AM
AVS Special Member

^^
glad you got it working!

it can be very hard to diagnose someone's setup in forum exchanges since there can be many variables. everyone takes their best shot at it, maybe several people has pieces of the puzzle and someone else has final missing piece. in this case it was KC cool.gif since you were trying to use the ARC feature not realizing it was an HDMI only feature, it was turned on. and that was the problem.

in the vast majority of instances, these things come down to setup issues. very rarely is it the receiver itself. one has to learn the complexities and nuances.

the best advice I can offer a new owner is become familiar as you can with what's in the manual and where info is located because you may need it sometime. and even then, it's not always obvious how things work. modern HT receivers are complicated wink.gif

have fun with it and you'll get there smile.gif

Steve
post #277 of 299 Old 02-05-2014, 06:10 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post

^^
glad you got it working!

it can be very hard to diagnose someone's setup in forum exchanges since there can be many variables. everyone takes their best shot at it, maybe several people has pieces of the puzzle and someone else has final missing piece. in this case it was KC cool.gif since you were trying to use the ARC feature not realizing it was an HDMI only feature, it was turned on. and that was the problem.

in the vast majority of instances, these things come down to setup issues. very rarely is it the receiver itself. one has to learn the complexities and nuances.

the best advice I can offer a new owner is become familiar as you can with what's in the manual and where info is located because you may need it sometime. and even then, it's not always obvious how things work. modern HT receivers are complicated wink.gif

have fun with it and you'll get there smile.gif

You're absolutely right. This is not my first AVR obviously and second Pio. This certainly has less setup options than the VSX-30, since that was an Elite receiver, but more features. I've gone through the manual like 3x already smile.gif I missed the part where it says if ARC is turned on, you cannot switch from HDMI. If I had noticed that, there would have been no issues.

Off topic, I have a 5.1 setup and after running MCACC it is showing that i have all 7 speakers hooked up. Is that normal?

Steve
post #278 of 299 Old 02-16-2014, 02:56 AM

Liked: 13
Purchased a Pioneer 1523 from Amazon - one of those great price days. I've added height speakers so now have a 8.2 set up (one back surround).

A problem - I can't get the back surround to work when using Dolby IIz or DTS Neo:x. So no 9.1.

Any thoughts on what I'm doing wrong? The receiver is set for 9.1. I get sound from the back surround when playing a 7.1 soundtrack.

Installing the 1523.

New Pioneer 1523 install.

Adding the height speakers - Polk OWM3's.

Added Height speakers.
post #279 of 299 Old 02-16-2014, 04:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I've encountered this too even when everything seems to be setup properly and notice this "bug" (?) typically after doing a MCACC.

Under manual speaker setup, set speakers to small (although may not be necessary as large should work), set the FH and SB (x1 or 2) speakers to yes, exit, on the remote use the Standard surround button to cycle through to Dolby PLIIz Height

Reapplying these settings seems to solve it.

Pioneer KURO PDP-5010FD 1080p plasma
Pioneer SC-1523-K Dolby PLIIz +THX 9.2 surround
Sony BDP-S790 bluray player
post #280 of 299 Old 02-16-2014, 05:36 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Start from this post, I think it may be your answer.

Thanks, 2therock

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #281 of 299 Old 02-16-2014, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joss12 View Post

Purchased a Pioneer 1523 from Amazon - one of those great price days. I've added height speakers so now have a 8.2 set up (one back surround).

A problem - I can't get the back surround to work when using Dolby IIz or DTS Neo:x. So no 9.1.

Any thoughts on what I'm doing wrong? The receiver is set for 9.1. I get sound from the back surround when playing a 7.1 soundtrack.

Installing the 1523.

New Pioneer 1523 install.

Adding the height speakers - Polk OWM3's.

Added Height speakers.

Nice looking room from what I see. I am concerned with the headroom over the AVR. I think Pioneer specs more for heat escape but you are open lots on the sides. I would enjoy seeing a wide angle of the setup.

Thanks, 2therock

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #282 of 299 Old 02-16-2014, 07:54 AM

Front

Rear speakers

Panasonic 55VT50
Darbee
OPPO 103
Apple TV
Roku 3
SA 8300 Cable Box
6 Aperions
2 Polk OWM3's
1 Aperion 8" sub
1 12" Klipsh sub
Pioneer 1523 AVR
Line conditioner and battery backup
2therock likes this.
post #283 of 299 Old 02-16-2014, 08:12 AM

I'll try resetting. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks for the help guys.
post #284 of 299 Old 02-16-2014, 09:03 AM

Okay. Tried resetting everything. Including changing speaker size. Didn't work. No surround back when using the height setting. Either Dolby or DTS. 7.1 seems to be the limit. Any ideas on something else I can try?
post #285 of 299 Old 02-19-2014, 06:11 PM

Great review of the SC-71 in Sound & Vision Magazine online.
post #286 of 299 Old 02-19-2014, 06:22 PM

Quote:

Okay. Tried resetting everything. Including changing speaker size. Didn't work. No surround back when using the height setting. Either Dolby or DTS. 7.1 seems to be the limit. Any ideas on something else I can try?

Thanks for the room shot.

Do you have your surround rears set to "Side" instead of "rear" in the settings. Side is what you want. It sounds like a positional setting but its not.

Thanks, 2therock

post #287 of 299 Old 02-20-2014, 07:44 PM

Yes, set as side. I'm beginning to wonder if it is possible for the 1523 to play more than 7.2 channels with DTS or Dolby.
post #288 of 299 Old 02-20-2014, 10:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes, set as side. I'm beginning to wonder if it is possible for the 1523 to play more than 7.2 channels with DTS or Dolby.

From what I'm seeing it should. Any of the Pro Logic IIz HEIGHT and any of the Neo:X listening modes should get sound output on all 8 of your main speakers. Since you are only connecting one surround back speaker it should be connected to the left surround back terminals.
post #289 of 299 Old 02-21-2014, 03:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

for 5.1 source, use one of the matrix processing modes (PLIIx/z, NeoX, THX), not Direct or Pure Direct, Auto Surround, Optimum, ALC.

try setting to side surround to rear instead. sounds counter-intuitive but try it.

Steve
post #290 of 299 Old 02-21-2014, 09:04 PM

Tried side and back. No difference. I can play height and back surround separately just not both together. Regardless of setting.
post #291 of 299 Old 02-21-2014, 09:28 PM

Maybe you can see whats going on with the iControl App. Below is a cell phone screenshot of what my SC-75 is doing when it gets a 5.1 source. Here it shows its up-scaling from 5.1 to 7.1. It says 7.2 but I am only running one sub. I guess that means both sub outs are available.

Thanks, 2therock

post #292 of 299 Old 02-22-2014, 03:07 PM

Good idea. It shows 7.2. Not playing the back surround. Wonder if anyone has been able to get 9.2 to work on the 1523. I've run out of ideas.

post #293 of 299 Old 02-22-2014, 03:53 PM

Just for fun, try setting your HDMI 1+2 out to like mine HDMI Out 1.

Thanks, 2therock

post #294 of 299 Old 02-22-2014, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Good idea. It shows 7.2. Not playing the back surround. Wonder if anyone has been able to get 9.2 to work on the 1523. I've run out of ideas.

I'm wondering if this might have anything to do with the fact that you are only using a single rear speaker.
post #295 of 299 Old 02-23-2014, 03:15 AM

Yes, Perhaps one rear speaker prevents Dolby or DTS from using Height or Neo with all channels. Either that or my unit is defective.

Regardless, the receiver is cool. And this height thing actually works pretty well. I like it.
post #296 of 299 Old 02-23-2014, 06:46 AM

KC Technerd - Your thought process was dead on. I hooked up a pair of ceiling mounted Bose cubes from an old setup and it worked. 9.2 is now working. Thanks for the help.

post #297 of 299 Old 02-23-2014, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

KC Technerd - Your thought process was dead on. I hooked up a pair of ceiling mounted Bose cubes from an old setup and it worked. 9.2 is now working. Thanks for the help.

Wow. I was just guessing mostly. Perhaps the Pro-Logic IIz and Neo:X modes just aren't compatible with a single surround back speaker, as far either deriving a single SB channel or being able to mix the 2 derived SB channels into 1. Just out of curiosity, did you ever try a 7.1 channel source with the single SB speaker? I'm curious if it would have produced sound for your single SB speaker both with and without the height speakers.

Anyway, I'm glad you were able to figure out what was going on with it.

You've got me really motivated to get my system setup for at least 6.1. I've got the speakers to go to 7.1, but my room isn't exactly friendly to surround back speakers, so for now I'm using the 5.1 arrangement that I had before I got the SC-77. Soon as I find something to put a surround back speaker on at near the right height, I'll probably string a wire across the living room get get at least one surround back speaker going.
post #298 of 299 Old 02-23-2014, 10:37 AM

Back surround worked well in a 7.1 as long as I wasn't using height or neo.
post #299 of 299 Old 02-24-2014, 05:04 PM

This is most likely a Comcast thing but I better ask here in case something has been fumbled in my receiver settings.

I have lost Dolby Digital from Comcast via the Scientific Atlanta 8300 DVR Cable box. Its Stereo only in Auto Surround. The Receiver is showing only two channels coming in. I have tried everything in the cable box setup with no change.

Have any of you seen this?

Thanks.

Never Mind, A Box Re-boot fixed it.

Thanks, 2therock

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Pioneer Channel Av Receiver Vsx 1123 K , Pioneer Channel Av Receiver Vsx 823 K , Pioneer Channel Av Receiver Vsx 523 K , Pioneer Channel Av Receiver Vsx 1023 K

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page