Originally Posted by prok
1. I do not think he is trying to use ARC.
2. I have seen this done before and working but it has been a very long time, since everyone I know has a digital box now for cable.
3. If the TV is set to output audio through the TOSLINK, then theoretically the receiver should be picking up the signal.
1. well, he did refer to audio return, ARC, and HDMI so maybe he's confusing the terminology or I misinterpreted it. either is possible.
2. I have too but with players that I had connected with analog and digital and choosing the signal I wanted to listen to with SIGNAL SELECT. it works. I have also taken muxed analog coax video and used a separate box to separate the L/R analog audio out to send to a receiver. it works. I have also used a box that took composite video, L/R audio and muxed them together for Ch 3 coax output. that works. I have taken analog audio from my cable box to my Kuro and have it work using the analog audio output on the back of the plasma TV. but I have not tried doing any of this with digital tuners and a toslink connection or tried it with std analog cable to toslink = that is a questionable thing since the TV would need the conversion ability to convert analog to digital with built-in ADC chip. does it have one? don't know...
3. I agree completely. assuming the TV can output digital audio from a digital tuner or digital audio from an analog tuner
and there might be the issue...we don't know.
he says it worked with a VSX-30, but did it work with this TV with the same direct cable feed. and how did he connect it with the VSX-30?
if it did work with the same gear and same cable feed, then it's likely to work with the new receiver, assuming signal and input assignments are correct. what is highly unlikely is that the receiver is defective or can't do the same thing
did he go into the setup menu and change the Toslink input assignment? it's default set to "TV" so if he also has something plugged into the HDMI TV or analog AV "TV" input, then he'll probably want to use the SIGNAL SELECT button to pick the toslink signal (change from Auto to Digital). as you know, you can't just plug connections in and expect them to automatically work. I assume he knows input assignments since he had a VSX-30 but it's possible that the input assignments in the menu are not matched with the physical cable connections. one thing he can try is assigning the Toslink input to an another input that has no other cable connections, HDMI, video or audio. so there is no possibility of conflict. that will narrow down to search to whether he's actually getting a digital audio signal from the TV
see all my explanations on TV capability with different types of sources.
too much is unknown about what he's done and how he's doing it to "blame" the receiver.