Yamaha AV-720 Speaker Size setting and what YPAO says vs. what people do who own this.. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 02-07-2013, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
HI guys.. I've owned this receiver for about 2 weeks now.. YPAO when run wants to put all my speakers large..

I have

2 Energy RC-70's for my fronts
1 CC-10 for my center
2 CB-10s for my surrounds
and a SVS PB1000 for my sub..

General practice says to put all speakers to small and set crossover to 80hz.. When I do this I seem to lose some nice punch from my front's for music.. I'm really curious as to what others set their speakers to with this receiver..

Also, is it possible that when all are set to small, and raising the crossover to 100hz results in a bit better bass? I thought this would direct less bass to the fronts..

Kinda confused.. And could really use some references as to what some folks are doing with this receiver..

Thanks.!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-09-2013, 07:49 AM - Thread Starter

No one?

I've been finding the amp a bit bright.. I guess it's something I have to get used to.. It appears to handle movie tracks (DTS, DD) extremely well.. Music is very rich and bright.. The default YPAO parametric settings make it worse in my opinion and I set it to through..

Could be just my setup....
post #3 of 6 Old 02-09-2013, 08:10 AM
LVS
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Eron, do you have an SPL meter. You may want to check how YPAO set your sub output too. I have not used YPAO, but I have used Audyssey and it usually sets my sub down about 3 db below the the other speakers. Many times it depends on where you came from as well, meaning no in-room correction or balanced speakers before and the tendency is run the bass hot. If you have been doing that there is usually some adjustment time necessary for you, but you should notice more detail in the overall sound. However, you can always bump the gain on your sub and run it a little hot if that is how you prefer the sound nothing wrong with that.

In saying this I listened to an A1020 and compared it too a Marantz SR5007 but this was in a store and who knows how they were both set, but I felt the A1020 had more detail in the upper range than the Marantz but came away feeling the Marantz was warmer (less bright). So I did notice a bit of brightness in the Yamaha and feeling of thinness in the lower frequencies but again I have no idea how these two receivers were setup as far as xover etc...
post #4 of 6 Old 02-09-2013, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter

SPL Meter... I have one on my samsung android phone lol..I doubt this will suffice.. Even if I do have one, I am pretty green at this.. What would I be monitoring?

I appreciate your response.. I was watching Led Zeppelin Celebration day last night on Blu Ray with the DTS master HD track and the detail and sound stage was astonishing.. And no complaint with the warm lows at all on this track.. But normal FLAC stereo music, mp3, ect.. milage varies from track to track but overall a bit bright..

Movies are incredible. Separation is amazing.. Which is odd because this amp gets rave reviews mostly for its music capabilities over movies.. Perhaps its just my taste in music.. Horns and whatnot sound very very detailed... I'm rock n roller, so I don't get a whole lot of horns but when I do wow...
post #5 of 6 Old 02-09-2013, 12:49 PM
LVS
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
^ Radio Shack makes a great lower cost SPL Meter get the analog meter if you still can. You would run the test tones the receiver provides in manual mode and measure the sound pressure at 75 db or close for each channel. Good to keep each channel within 1/2 to 1 db of each other. For music listening try increasing the subwoofer output by 3 db and determine if it is closer to what you think it should be. When you listen to music are you listening in Stereo or 5+ channel mode? Make sure you are not bypassing the crossovers by running in a Pure Direct mode, not sure what Yamaha labels this mode, but I am sure you can run it in direct mode where all processing is bypassed and the full range signal is just sent to the front pair of speakers.
post #6 of 6 Old 02-09-2013, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter

I've played around with listening to music in Neo 6: music, and of course also in stereo mode and sometimes stereo 7 ch.

Slowly coming to the conclusion that normal music listening is best served by stereo mode (not pure direct) if your really sitting there listening.. Neo 6 and 7 ch Stereo are nice to have tho..

Really appreciate the information.. There's no doubt this amp is kicking but for movies and dts/dd live concerts.. I'm just getting used to the entire setup coming from having a 5.1 canton satellite system. Wow was I missing a lot of mids/highs and dynamics..

Anyhow.. I think it's a transition..
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page