Turn off or mute "clicking" noise receiver makes when chaning audio listening modes - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 02-07-2013, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
burnsey23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If I am changing the TV channel between an HD channel and SD channel and the audio on the receiver goes from Dolby Digital to Stereo, my receiver makes a click sound. Is there a way to turn this off or mute it? It is annoying when channel surfing.
I have an Onkyo TX-SR503 receiver. It is connected to my tv via an optical audio cable.
burnsey23 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 Old 02-07-2013, 06:25 PM
AVS Special Member
 
lovinthehd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: OROR
Posts: 6,323
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 723
Nope. At least mine doesn't. Maybe if you check every menu....I couldn't find it on my HTRC370 in any case plus I've read of many that do this (believe it is the sound of a relay). Just stop watching the stuff with poor audio and video...SD? Why? wink.gif

lovinthehd is offline  
post #3 of 8 Old 02-07-2013, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member
 
primetimeguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: St. Paul, MN
Posts: 3,665
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsey23 View Post

If I am changing the TV channel between an HD channel and SD channel and the audio on the receiver goes from Dolby Digital to Stereo, my receiver makes a click sound. Is there a way to turn this off or mute it? It is annoying when channel surfing.
I have an Onkyo TX-SR503 receiver. It is connected to my tv via an optical audio cable.

No, that is just how Onkyo's work.  It is switching the amp section off/on when changing input types and sources.

primetimeguy is online now  
post #4 of 8 Old 02-07-2013, 06:50 PM
Advanced Member
 
tsaville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: DFW
Posts: 877
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 230
My Onkyo 3008 clicked when I did almost anything (pause/fast forward on the DVR, mute, input change, etc). In my experience, Onkyo and Denon are the biggest offenders on the excessive clicking. My Yamaha is dead silent except when powering the unit on/off. I had just assumed that ALL receivers clicked, so it was a pleasant surprise. biggrin.gif
tsaville is offline  
post #5 of 8 Old 02-08-2013, 02:50 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Theresa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 2,430
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsaville View Post

My Onkyo 3008 clicked when I did almost anything (pause/fast forward on the DVR, mute, input change, etc). In my experience, Onkyo and Denon are the biggest offenders on the excessive clicking. My Yamaha is dead silent except when powering the unit on/off. I had just assumed that ALL receivers clicked, so it was a pleasant surprise. biggrin.gif

My Denon rarely clicks if at all. My Onkyo frequently clicked.
Theresa is offline  
post #6 of 8 Old 02-08-2013, 07:15 AM
Advanced Member
 
tsaville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: DFW
Posts: 877
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theresa View Post

My Denon rarely clicks if at all. My Onkyo frequently clicked.

My cheapo 1612 is the loudest clicker I've ever heard, although it does it less frequently than the Onkyo. Perhaps it is more subdued on the higher end Denons (I believe you have the 4311).
tsaville is offline  
post #7 of 8 Old 02-08-2013, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Theresa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 2,430
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsaville View Post

My cheapo 1612 is the loudest clicker I've ever heard, although it does it less frequently than the Onkyo. Perhaps it is more subdued on the higher end Denons (I believe you have the 4311).

I have the 4520. It does click for a few operations but not nearly as frequently as my 5508.
Theresa is offline  
post #8 of 8 Old 02-08-2013, 11:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
kbarnes701's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Main Listening Positon
Posts: 16,569
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 538 Post(s)
Liked: 1250
Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsey23 View Post

If I am changing the TV channel between an HD channel and SD channel and the audio on the receiver goes from Dolby Digital to Stereo, my receiver makes a click sound. Is there a way to turn this off or mute it? It is annoying when channel surfing.
I have an Onkyo TX-SR503 receiver. It is connected to my tv via an optical audio cable.

The clicking is the noise made by the nice mechanical relays Onkyo use. If they used cheap solid state relays there would be no audible clicking. The relay activates when you change sound programs - eg from Dolby 5.1 to Stereo etc. One way to minimise it is to make these changes less often. A way to do that is to set up the AVR so that all sources use whatever you prefer all the time - eg DD 5.1 always defaults to DD 5.1 PLIIz or whatever, 2.0 channel always defaults to DD 5.1 PLIIz and so on.

kbarnes701 is offline  
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off