New here, need some advice.... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 02-07-2013, 10:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello all,

In the process of upgrading my sytem. I just purchased some Paradigm Studio 60's and my old denon avr 1082 receiver just dose not get the job done from a power standpoint and a quality stanpoint in 2 channel stereo. The speakers are just not coming alive...

I listen to a lot of music in 2 channel stereo, but at the same time have a 5.1 setup for movies, etc. I'd say it's about 50/50

My question to you guys, should i go with a high quality reciver that sounds great in 2 channel stereo (this is very important), can push my studio 60's, and also has the processing power to run my 5.1 system

or

Should i go the seperate route, grab a great processor and pair it up with a good, powerful, clean amp.

I've read that Anthem, Parasound, and NAD make amps that match up very well with Paradigm speakers. Would you recommend being in the being in the 125 watt range per channel, or would it be better for the studio 60's to be closer to 200 watts per channel.

Anyways, any reciver recs that you guys have i would love to here. I also would also love to here thoughts on processors and amp pairings. I'd say the budget is in the $1500 to $3000 range, i also do not mind buying used, so if there is an older model out there feel free to throw it out there.

I've read review after review, blog after blog and could really use some general guidence.

Thanks......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-08-2013, 04:52 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 25
What kind of power does the 1082 have per channel?

My Gear
post #3 of 5 Old 02-08-2013, 05:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 747 Post(s)
Liked: 1161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcuguy27 View Post

In the process of upgrading my sytem. I just purchased some Paradigm Studio 60's and my old denon avr 1082 receiver just dose not get the job done from a power standpoint and a quality standpoint in 2 channel stereo. The speakers are just not coming alive...

It takes something far more sophisticated than just throwing more raw power at speakers to make a sound system "come alive". A system that comes alive when its loud also sounds very much alive at leavels that are 3-6 dB less, and that represents half or one-quarter the power.

You can download the owenr's manual from http://usa.denon.com/us/Product/Pages/ProductDetail.aspx?PCatId=AVSolutions(DenonNA)&CatId=AVReceivers(DenonNA)&Pid=AVR1082(DenonNA)

The specs are there. It is pretty much yet another approx. 100 wpc AVR. It is pretty old-school having no equalization or system optimization features other than bass and treble controls.

It has preamp out RCA jacks but introducing an equalizer at this point takes the AVRs amp out of play.
post #4 of 5 Old 02-08-2013, 07:47 AM

Liked: 11
I will find the answer on the blog 1.gif
post #5 of 5 Old 02-08-2013, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
avr 1082 is 110 watts per channel.