A/V Receiver and Picture Quality - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 02-08-2013, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hi All,

Do you lose any picture quality when routing sources through A/V Receiver which in turns goes into the TV? I have a Denon 3312. Just curious. I have not began to set it up yet, but was curious. I have always felt like just running sources through TV only and having only the sound connected to A/V Receiver. Any thoughts? I just don't want to lose any quality.

Thanks,

TVMan1414
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-08-2013, 10:39 AM

Liked: 42
No, unless you have an AVR that doesn't do what's called pass through. Although there were some earlier models that claimed pass through options but handled the signal incorrectly. Denon's solid though and you won't have to worry.
post #3 of 5 Old 02-08-2013, 03:47 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked: 1342
A lot of folks pass the video signal through the AVR without using any video scaling as the TV ends up doing just as good of a job as the AVR or the source device. You can do the same with the 3312CI by setting the "i/p Scaler" setting to OFF.

For more info on the 3312CI, review posts #3-6 in the Denon AVR-XX12 Owner's thread linked in my sig.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #4 of 5 Old 02-08-2013, 04:06 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

A lot of folks pass the video signal through the AVR without using any video scaling as the TV ends up doing just as good of a job as the AVR or the source device. You can do the same with the 3312CI by setting the "i/p Scaler" setting to OFF.

For more info on the 3312CI, review posts #3-6 in the Denon AVR-XX12 Owner's thread linked in my sig.
Quote:
Originally Posted by runnin' View Post

No, unless you have an AVR that doesn't do what's called pass through. Although there were some earlier models that claimed pass through options but handled the signal incorrectly. Denon's solid though and you won't have to worry.

Thank you for both of your input. It sounds like I will be okay to plug all my source devices up to the AVR and then the AVR plug into the TV without losing picture quality. As noted, I will make sure that any video scaling by the AVR is turned off.

Thanks Again,

TVMan1414
post #5 of 5 Old 02-08-2013, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVMan1414 View Post

Thank you for both of your input. It sounds like I will be okay to plug all my source devices up to the AVR and then the AVR plug into the TV without losing picture quality. As noted, I will make sure that any video scaling by the AVR is turned off.

Thanks Again,

TVMan1414

If your reciver has 1080p up scaling , I woul try it and play with the settings, you may like it. I know in my onkyo it does an excellent job. I have it set to 1080p. Big difference

TV - Panasonic 55GT50Main Speakers - Klipsch Gallery G28'sCenter Channel- Klipsch RC-52Sub - Klipsch Sub 12Surrounds - Klipsch RS-52 II (new)Bluray/Game - HTPC/PS3Receiver - Onkyo RC-360HTPC - Intel Core i3, HDMI,Windows 7,XBMC,Bluray,3 TB,wireless WMC keyboardVideo processor - Darbee
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page