HK AVR 1700 DLNA Video Media Streaming - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 02-08-2013, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The wife is gone for the weekend so I decided to finally setup my HK AVR 1700. So far this thing is pretty kick butt for $200. Besides the On Screen menu being from 1997 and a remote that is insane, everything sounds and works as described. I have a logitech remote so I'm not too concerned about the remote.

Anyway, I can't seem to get the avr 1700 to stream movies from my DLNA servers. I've search the forum briefly but haven't found any solid informationMusic streams perfectly and soundds awesome. When I try to start a movie it either doesn't do anything or just goes back to the top of the screen. I can stream movies with no problems from both media server with other devices such as Xbox 360, IPAD Mini, Windows 7 and Android phone/tablet. Both media servers have worked with anything that I have tried accept the AVR 1700.

I looked in the manual and couldn't find any specs on how the videos need to be encoded in order to work. I have movies in several different formats (mp4, avi, mkv) but none seem to work. The media servers are Synology 1812+ (pricey but highly recommended) and an old Western Digital Sharespace (not recommended at all but it mostly works).

If anyone has this working with any media server please let me know what your setup is. Any other help would be greatly appreciated. I only have until Feb 17th to take it back if there is a problem. This isn't a deal killer as I can use the Xbox 360 or build a small media center box with plex, XBMC or MythTV.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-08-2013, 09:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Like most AV receivers. your receiver doesn't support streaming video. The only receivers I know that support video over DLNA (or USB) are high-end Sony models.
post #3 of 7 Old 02-08-2013, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross Ridge View Post

Like most AV receivers. your receiver doesn't support streaming video. The only receivers I know that support video over DLNA (or USB) are high-end Sony models.

According to what is posted on Amazon: "DLNA 1.5 certified connectivity enables the AVR 1700 to stream audio and video from compatible devices onto your home network"
post #4 of 7 Old 02-08-2013, 11:38 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much. I didn't realize this. I just wanted to make sure that my device was working correctly. I just setup a XBMC box about an hour ago and it's working perfectly so no need for the 1700 to do video streaming anyway.

Thanks again.
post #5 of 7 Old 02-09-2013, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 81
The AVR 1700 manual only says that it can play MP3 and WMA files using DLNA. I have no idea why Amazon and indeed Harman Kardon's own site say that it can stream video using DLNA. You may want to contact Harman Kardon support to resolve this issue.
post #6 of 7 Old 03-15-2013, 12:40 AM

Anybody ever get video streaming going? Just bought my 1700 today and one of the reasons was video streaming.

I also can't seem to get the remote app to recognize my AVR either....

Not looking so good for me...
post #7 of 7 Old 03-15-2013, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter

As people stated above, this and most devices do not stream video. After starting this thread I did a bit of research and found only a few high end receivers do so it. Just use a xbox or xbmc media center server to stream. Can't help you with the remote. Pick up a harmony and all your remote problems will go away. I use original remotes for initial setup and then toss it in a drawer for emergency use only.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page