Budget Receiver advise to meet these requirements - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 02-09-2013, 08:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am looking for a decent receiver that will cost me under $500, preferably under $400. I have a 2009 54-55" Panasonic Plasma TV, Cable TV with the scientific atlanta 8300HD DVR, a Panasonic DVDr, and older 80's turntable, and a Mac computer. My speakers are not expensive, they are Polk Audio RM 6750 and I am not an audiophile. I want a receiver that I can connect to my MAC to play from ITunes, add a pre-amp to connect the TT, is not difficult to watch TV WITHOUT the speakers, is not too difficult to set up. I can't seem to make up my mind. The HDMI handshake has me worried with the DVR and I don't know what to look for when searching for one where it is easy to listen to the TV and not the speakers. I would say this may be more for music than TV, but I would always use the speakers for DVD movies. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 02-09-2013, 08:33 AM - Thread Starter

Oh, and I am not against a refurb!
post #3 of 10 Old 02-09-2013, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 250
With almost any TV, if you want to listen to the TV alone you just need to leave the receiver off and set the TV so it uses its own speakers rather than output sound to the receiver. That has nothing to do with what receiver is used. That is just a simple TV audio menu selection.

I suggest that you get a Harman-Kardon AVR-1700 receiver, which Amazon has for around $320. That is a an excellent receiver with good sound quality and superb connectivity and features.

The Cambridge Audio 551P phono preamp is around $130, and is very good.

Audiophile or not, the 6750 front speakers are just TOO DAMN SMALL for decent HT sound.

Do yourself a favor and buy a pair of Polk R150 speakers, which Amazon has for under $100, and put those in for your front speakers; that will be a BIG improvement!
post #4 of 10 Old 02-09-2013, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter

Yes, well after I bought the speakers I read you should spend most of your budget on them. Probably will get better ones later.
I thought on some receivers the TV speakers could play on standby and you would not have to keep turning the AVR on and off. Maybe I need a definition of "pass through".

and thanks for your reply!
post #5 of 10 Old 02-09-2013, 11:52 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 777 Post(s)
Liked: 1433
Correct. AVRs that have the HDMI Standby pass through feature can pass the stereo audio to the TV while the AVR is in Standby. However, as cable/sat boxes often do have HDMI handshake issues with an AVR, the better configuration is ot connect the cable/sat box (HDMI) directly to the TV and an optical cable from the box to the AVR. This way no HDMI handshake issues and you can watch TV via the TV speakers without powering on the AVR as well. The Denon 1613 or 1713 would fit the bill nicely and be under your budget. Give Paul's TV a call this weekend or Electronics Expo and AV Science during the week.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #6 of 10 Old 02-09-2013, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter

I would get the Harman Kardon 1700, but I know BB had it for $200 and I refuse to pay $320. (Which is really stupid because I am going to pay at least that for any other AVR) and BB says it is now a discontinued model. So I believe I will look further into the Denon.
If I connect the DVR to the Receiver with a digital optical cable for the sound, would I have to do the same thing for the DVD player?

Now here is another real problem that I posted over in Speaker forum, but not much help yet. The issue is the TV is placed against a brick wall on the long length of the room. Sofa is in front of it and there is mostly glass for the opposing wall. I have a tile floor with an area rug. The speakers are wired and I do not intend to run the back speakers across the tile or ceiling. I was planning on placing them to the right and left of the TV just like the front speakers. Is this going to really mess up Audyssey set up?
post #7 of 10 Old 02-09-2013, 01:18 PM
585-645-1006

1. No, HDMI Standby pass through only works with devices connected via HDMI so the DVD would be connected via HDMI.
2. It won't mess Audyssey up as Audyssey simply EQs the speaker based on where it's located in the room. However, the intent for "side" surrounds is for them to be placed at the "sides" of the couch, not in front of them. Doesn't make much sense to be hearing "side/ambient" noises in front of you. Skip the sides if the front is your only choice or consider using wireless speakers for the sides. Although generally fairly poor quality in the past, AVSForum founder David Bott recently commented on the exceptional audio fidelity from the Aperion wireless speakers.

http://www.aperionaudio.com/speakers/wireless-speakers?gclid=CJ2z0aiTqrUCFQuynQod13gAJA

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech
post #8 of 10 Old 02-09-2013, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter

probably should have just gotten a soundbar with a sub

Is the Denon going to have enough inputs for me to plug in a pre-amp? TT is a 1979 Pioneer PL-518. We bought it brand new back then, if that gives you an indication of my age!
post #9 of 10 Old 02-09-2013, 04:40 PM
585-645-1006

You can review the rear panel images of most AVRs on their mfr websites to learn whether there are sufficient inputs to meet your requirements. Lower level models are generally geared towards HDMI inputs, the 1613 and 1713 only having 2 analog source device inputs each.

post #10 of 10 Old 02-10-2013, 06:44 PM

Liked: 12
I just bought a monster Pioneer Elite SC-57 for my new MartinLogans and I have a hardly used 2012 Denon AVR-2112CI which is an awesome 7.1 AVR that has the very desirable Audessey XT that calibrates the sub. It is packaged up like brand new in original box with every single thing that came with it new and it will be better than any of the currant 16-17-19 Denon's. I will sell for a good price and it is still under warranty. It is part of the Customer Installer upgraded line of In-command receivers that have a 2 year warranty. Just an idea as it is sitting in my closet wrapped up in the OEM box. Thanks
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page