DO these speakers and AMP combo "match"? Is matching even a real concept? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 02-09-2013, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just getting into the world of better audio and have been learning a ton in here and elsewhere. Building from scratch, other than a sub.

I believe am going to buy B&W CM8s, and pair them with a Emotiva 12" Sub i already own. CM8 choice is based on their sound of course and their gorgeous aesthetics. (And the fact that they are now readily accessible to me thanks to Magnolia!)

But on the amp side of things I now get into things I do not understand, like if the equipment "matches". Specifically, I found a used Emotiva 200W (XPA-3) for a great price. Will 200 W this amp provides be too much for the CM8s, which are rated up to 150W? Will the extra power be overkill, if I do NOT listen to music extremely loud? I have also considered Rotel stuff or just a AVR (much more expensive though)

I want great sound, but I do not want to have my electronics be pathetically matched for the quality of the speakers long term.

thanks folks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-09-2013, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by rghost View Post

But on the amp side of things I now get into things I do not understand, like if the equipment "matches". Specifically, I found a used Emotiva 200W (XPA-3) for a great price. Will 200 W this amp provides be too much for the CM8s, which are rated up to 150W? Will the extra power be overkill, if I do NOT listen to music extremely loud? I have also considered Rotel stuff or just a AVR (much more expensive though)
Using a 200W amp with speakers "rated" at 150W is nothing to worry about. Having "too much" amplifier power is better than having too little.
post #3 of 6 Old 02-09-2013, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
That's what i wondered. And based on the fact i cant even use the full extent of a 55 watt amp I cant imagine ever needed even 100! Just dont want the girlfriend to "accidentally" crank it and blow $2200 speakers up.
post #4 of 6 Old 02-09-2013, 11:56 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked: 1374
Note that with many models you can set a maximum Volume Limit to ensure the above never happens.
hyghwayman likes this.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #5 of 6 Old 02-10-2013, 01:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
The rated at power is meaningless when in real situations most people only need a few W for normal listening. Your own experience with 55W amp already demonstrated that you don't need the Emo. Even at a great price if it's not needed it'll be a waste of money.

The B&Ws are not hard to drive generally.

Here we don't generally believe lots of redundant power in reserve improves SQ at low/normal volume that doesn't require it.

Look at the poll results on top:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/204857-test-how-much-voltage-power-do-your-speakers-need.html

Audiosceptics accept audio trials using 25 people. A recent Oxford study with over 353,000 patient records from 639 separate clinical trials shows for every 1,000 people taking diclofenac or ibuprofen there would be 3 additional heart attacks, 4 more cases of heart failure and 1 death every year.

post #6 of 6 Old 02-10-2013, 04:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilian.ca View Post

The rated at power is meaningless when in real situations most people only need a few W for normal listening. Your own experience with 55W amp already demonstrated that you don't need the Emo. Even at a great price if it's not needed it'll be a waste of money.

The B&Ws are not hard to drive generally.

Here we don't generally believe lots of redundant power in reserve improves SQ at low/normal volume that doesn't require it.

Look at the poll results on top:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/204857-test-how-much-voltage-power-do-your-speakers-need.html

Except that the ratio between average power needed (a few watts) to peak power needed is often high, often requiring more than 100 watts, sometimes much more, depending on the speakers. Of course there are those who just use their system for background noise....
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page