Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 02-09-2013, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
One thing i've always wondered is if it is possible to get a hi end sound
from a FM transmission?

I;ve had Yamaha and Onkyo AV Receivers, and always felt the AM/FM was just a add-on necessary for just sporadic listening..

Question:
Is there any units or techniques i can do to improve my sound from my FM tuner in my AV Receiver...?

Current Receiver: Onkyo TX-706
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-09-2013, 07:40 PM

Liked: 21
I don't think it is possible to improve the tuner in your receiver. I use an old stand alone tuner, Yamaha TX 530, sounds good or high-end to me.
post #3 of 9 Old 02-10-2013, 05:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd68 View Post

I don't think it is possible to improve the tuner in your receiver. I use an old stand alone tuner, Yamaha TX 530, sounds good or high-end to me.

I find the tuner in my 4520 to be very revealing. In the past I've had tuners made by NAD and JVC that were excellent. With the 4520 I find most stations poor quality with the only one that I find excellent sounding is the local classical only station. Whether listening to plain FM or HD FM that station is far better than others. This says to me that the built in tuner is sufficient for producing high quality audio when its available, which isn't often.
post #4 of 9 Old 02-10-2013, 06:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 89
This is going to sound strange, but I use a Gigaware/Radio Shack 15-551 clock radio with aux outputs. I have gone through many tuners, receiver and AVRs from different companies. This black box has a lousy clock, stupid remote and can be hard to find. But it supports HD, RDDS and is 100 times more sensitive than any FM or even AM radio I have every used. I need an outdoor FM antenna to receive more than one station and I have a pre-amp on the antenna. If you can find one for $50 you may be surprized.

It's a shame almost nobody publishes specs for their equipment anymore. It's hard to make comparisons.

http://www.digicircle.com/item_desc.php?id=24246918&make=Gigaware&model=12-551%20HD%20Radio%20Docking%20System%20for%20iPod%20or%20iPhone

I use a Yamaha RX-V867 that supports IP radio. That gives me a broad selection but sometimes you want to get the same stations you get in your car.
post #5 of 9 Old 02-10-2013, 06:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post

This is going to sound strange, but I use a Gigaware/Radio Shack 15-551 clock radio with aux outputs. I have gone through many tuners, receiver and AVRs from different companies. This black box has a lousy clock, stupid remote and can be hard to find. But it supports HD, RDDS and is 100 times more sensitive than any FM or even AM radio I have every used.

I doubt it's 100 times more sensitive. Most tuners are close to the theoretical maximum for sensitivity. How is the sound quality of this clock radio? I find that the limit of SQ with fm is the station not the tuner.
post #6 of 9 Old 02-10-2013, 07:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theresa View Post

I doubt it's 100 times more sensitive. Most tuners are close to the theoretical maximum for sensitivity. How is the sound quality of this clock radio? I find that the limit of SQ with fm is the station not the tuner.
Well, it could be 6dB more sensitive. Since I only use the aux output and get half a dozen HD stations, it provides a better sound on stations than the built-in receiver does on all stations. I can't find a way to provide a quantitative measure of its performance, but using the roof mounted outdoor antenna I can get 10 stations with JVC receivers and the Yamaha AVR. With the clock radio I pick up over 30. I like it enough to buy a spare last year. It sounds, to me, better than the HD JVC radio in my car. If I lived in a major metro area I could get more stations and a better comparison. It's not a classy solution, but I don't watch it or use the iPod dock.

I listen to Pandora and IP radio, and a few SACD that also sound good. Having a radio rather than a tuner comes in handy during a power failure. It's on a UPS. Then I can turn up the volume and use its speakers.
post #7 of 9 Old 02-10-2013, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well, it could be 6dB more sensitive. Since I only use the aux output and get half a dozen HD stations, it provides a better sound on stations than the built-in receiver does on all stations. I can't find a way to provide a quantitative measure of its performance, but using the roof mounted outdoor antenna I can get 10 stations with JVC receivers and the Yamaha AVR. With the clock radio I pick up over 30. I like it enough to buy a spare last year. It sounds, to me, better than the HD JVC radio in my car. If I lived in a major metro area I could get more stations and a better comparison. It's not a classy solution, but I don't watch it or use the iPod dock.

I listen to Pandora and IP radio, and a few SACD that also sound good. Having a radio rather than a tuner comes in handy during a power failure. It's on a UPS. Then I can turn up the volume and use its speakers.

I've always found IP radio's poor fidelity to make it unlistenable.
post #8 of 9 Old 02-10-2013, 07:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theresa View Post

I've always found IP radio's poor fidelity to make it unlistenable.
Some are not so good. The bit rate is listed for many sites:
http://vtuner.com/
post #9 of 9 Old 02-10-2013, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Some are not so good. The bit rate is listed for many sites:
http://vtuner.com/

Yes, I've seen such sites. The problem is that they are far from comprehensive.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page