Sound cutting out - why?? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 02-09-2013, 08:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was watching a blu ray (Dark Knight Rises). About 2/3 through the main speakers started turning off. The center and rears seemed to have no problem. I paused the blu ray player for 5-10 seconds and then hit play again. The main speakers would come back for a short amount of time (30 second to 2 minutes) and then cut off again. Pause, play, sound, no sound...rinse and repeat.

My setup:

Oppo 103 --> Marantz SR5007 --> Krell KAV-250p (home theater bypass) --> Bryston 9B-SST --> PSB Synchrony One towers

Any ideas? My system is new to me (less than a week old all put together) so any help would be appreciated. I will cross-post this to a few other places.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-10-2013, 05:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 83
First, check your cables. Also try setting the Oppo to output pcm instead of bitstream.
post #3 of 5 Old 02-10-2013, 05:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnatalli View Post

First, check your cables. Also try setting the Oppo to output pcm instead of bitstream.

Thanks. I will look for this setting in the Oppo. Is there any hit to performance by changing this?

post #4 of 5 Old 02-10-2013, 06:38 AM - Thread Starter

Update: I checked the cable connections and changed to LPCM. The sound cut out almost immediately. I also changed discs (put in Terminator 2). I put the Oppo back to "Auto" for the HDMI audio. The only other change I made was setting my center speaker to SMALL on the Marantz. I was able to watch about 45 minutes of Terminator without any sound disruptions. Still waiting to see if this holds. Except the only change I made at this point was on the Marantz.

post #5 of 5 Old 02-21-2013, 05:04 AM - Thread Starter

Update #2: It looks like it was the Marantz. I hooked up speakers directly to the FL/FR Outputs (instead of running the mains through the Krell) and with both my Oppo and older DVD player the sound cut out to the mains after a certain amount of time. Marantz was great, giving me a return authorization and a new unit is on its way. We'll see if it solves the problem.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page