i have the seen the future and Receivers will be USB-like... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 02-09-2013, 11:12 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 14
with Dolby Atmos and DTS offering similar schemas in MDA, it makes sense for AVRs to also evolve to match the new future formats. as you know. these 2 formats will eventually make it down to AVR, so we will see a number of AVRs in the next 5 years from denon, Yamaha, etc. the usual suspects offering it with 9.1, 11.1 and etc. flavors.

but with this new 'dynamic # of speakers" system, we don't have to be limited the # of speakers in an AVR ever again.

with newer films being encoded in such a fashion, it only makes sense in the marketplace to create a pre-amp processor that will decode atmos/mda spec. but allow consumers (us) to install as many or as few speakers as we can for surround sound system. so we could see pre-amp processors that will offer all 64channels (I think that's the max for atmos right? someone confirm?) and 128channel (i'm guessing or more for MDA). then that processor can offer either daisy chained connectors and/or serial-based digital speaker outputs. if not, maybe processors offerling all 64 or 128channel rca or xlr outs, but that seems a bit impractical. the digital outs seem better because it can add channels if atmos is upgraded to even more channels.

now I know that not many folks can accord 64 speakers or more. but i'm talking about the ability to do get discreet information to all 64 if you had and could do 64speakers.

I never thought i'd see the day where this is possible, but I guess that day is coming =).

to the edge of eternity and depth of infinity, stupidity knows no bound.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-10-2013, 05:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Considering that most people still think 5.1 is cutting edge and even most enthusiasts are using 5.1 or 7.1, most will not see the need for dozens of speakers. Good speakers are expensive so I don't see Atmos catching on in home theaters.
post #3 of 4 Old 02-10-2013, 07:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Yeah, forget about the fact of making enough room for said speakers, but cost. Even some cheap speakers at $100 bucks each, times 64!!! That will just never catch on. Lol. And that's figuring for cheap speakers. Imagine $200, $,300, $400+ dollars per speaker!

Quote:
Of course, I got it modified with the TK-427, which cheeks it up another, maybe, 3 or 4 quads per channel.
post #4 of 4 Old 02-10-2013, 10:10 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 14
the purpose of atmos/mda would render the physical speakers 5.1 irrelevant (almost) as now users can place speakers in the ceiling, in the floor, in or out of the corners, behind objects, in the walls, wherever they want the the software would take-over and calibrate/optimize the sound. if there are hotspots not covered, move speakers or add some for coverage.

to the edge of eternity and depth of infinity, stupidity knows no bound.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page