Need advice on speakers and AV receiver with independent zone 2 function - please??? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 02-10-2013, 06:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
We are NOT audio tech savy people but we are trying to purchase our first ever AV receiver and rapidly getting very confused! We have already purchased and installed two Klipsch R-1800 C in-ceiling speakers plus two Klipsch AW-400 outdoor speakers for our deck but now need to purchase whatever else is needed to complete the system - AV receiver, floor speakers, bookshelf speaker, subwoofer?? We would probably like to remain with the Klipsch brand for speakers but have no idea which receiver we should purchase. We already own iphones, ipads and a mac book pro so being Apple-friendly is important. The system does not need to be "fancy" but ideally we would like to be able to have the tv running inside while playing music (does not need to be HD) playing outside - is that what is called independent zone 2?? Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-10-2013, 07:07 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 4411 Post(s)
Liked: 2372
Welcome to AVSForum! smile.gif

A max budget for the AVR as well as for the speakers would be needed. Do you want a 5 speaker setup or a 7 speaker setup? Also, are the current in-ceiling speakers above the TV or the couch?

------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; http://shop.avscience.com/ Call for sales info --> 585-645-1006 

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
AVScience sells Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Oppo, and more
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 5 times. 
post #3 of 7 Old 02-10-2013, 07:15 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your welcome! I've already learned a lot from reading some of the information on here! smile.gif The current in-ceiling speakers are behind the couch. We only need a simple set up so five speakers is fine. Our budget for the AV receiver is around $500?
post #4 of 7 Old 02-10-2013, 08:30 AM
585-645-1006

Depending on your external device input/output requirements, the Denon 1713 is a 5.1 AVR and would likely fit the bill nicely which is likely available at your local Best Buy or Frys if you prefer a B&M store or you can call Electronics Expo, AV Science, or Paul's TV and likely get a price discounted off MSRP if you "call" them. As only the 7.1 AVRs include the capability to power Zone 2 speakers (ie. deck speakers), with the 1713 you would need to also add a 2CH external amp like the one below. You can compare the various features on the Denon XX13 models by reviewing post #2 of the Denon AVR-XX13 Owner's thread linked in my sig.

http://www.amazon.com/AudioSource-AMP-100-Stereo-Power-Amplifier/dp/B00026BQJ6

Also, Klipsch has a wide array of speakers and subwoofers to choose from based on your room size and max speaker budget. Keep in mind that ideally you want to spend about 2-3x on your speakers as what you pay for your AVR so adjust your AVR budget accordingly as it's always better to have better quality speakers than AVR. You may want to post in the Speakers forum to get specific speaker recommendations.

------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; http://shop.avscience.com/ Call for sales info --> 585-645-1006 

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
AVScience sells Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Oppo, and more
post #5 of 7 Old 02-10-2013, 12:58 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Since you have 4 speakers, you just need the reciever and a center channel. Denons are really nice recievers and easy to install too.
post #6 of 7 Old 02-11-2013, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter

All very helpful information - thank you!! However, I am not sure if I have made myself entirely clear. From what I can gather, we don't need to have HDMI capability on the extra channel as it will only ever be used to play music outside through the two outdoor speakers. The only scenario when we would have the two outside deck speakers operating at the same time as the inside speakers would be when we may want to have a football game on the tv inside going at the same time we are playing music outside through the two deck speakers.
I think I remember being told at some stage we would need to get the additional speakers (sub woofer plus floor/bookshelf pair) to get a "complete sound" when we are watching tv etc. Won't there be some kind of delay between the in-ceiling speakers and that which is played through the tv if we don't?
From what I can gather, ideally we need to purchase the extra sub woofer and floor/bookshelf speaker pair plus a 5.1 receiver with an independent extra analog channel (ie a Zone 2 with a minimum of two outputs?) but I don't think this configuration exists?
NB We will be running our cable tv, DVD player and Apple tv through this set up also - all music will come via itunes on our ipad, Mac book or iphone through airplay or the apple tv (I guess?!).
Any further advice?
A Yamaha rep suggested I look at the RX-V773WA as "it can do 5.1 and 2 speakers in the main zone. It also has analog outputs. It has party mode so you can send out all signals to all speakers at one time." But I'm not sure if this is a little over the top?
We don't want to have to buy extra amps to power the two outside speakers if we don't have to?
post #7 of 7 Old 02-11-2013, 07:08 PM
585-645-1006

Most 7.1 AVRs will also include Zone 2 capability (ie. 5.1 main zone 2.0 Zone 2) while IIRC, the Yamaha may drop down from 5.1 to 3.1 when using Zone 2 which is not a feature of most AVRs.

------------------

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page