Help me pick speakers for this receiver Onkyo HT-RC160 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 02-10-2013, 06:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0028AD7BE/ref=oh_details_o09_s00_i00

I got this receiver 3 years ago as a Christmas present. I have somewhat figured it out, used Audyssey to set up my speakers, but now I'm at a point where I want to upgrade my speakers, and I'm wondering what this receiver is capable of. As you can see it is only 80 watts per channel. I'm interested in either just 2 tower speakers, or possibly a 5.1 surround setup. But for the sake of simplicity, please let me know what pair of tower speakers would work nicely with this receiver. Trying to stay under $5-600 for the pair.

Also since its 80W per channel, if I'm only using 2 channels, that seems like a waste. Is there anyway to put those other watts to use and power some better speakers? Would that be "bridging" or something?

Currently have these Sony's, and I think they are barely adequate for even watching tv. Dying to upgrade.
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-SS-F6000-Floorstanding-4-Way-Speakers/dp/B000OG4E20/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1360548845&sr=1-1&keywords=sony+ssf6000

Just wondering what speaker would be able to take advantage of this receiver and sound great loud and clear.

Panasonic 60ST60, Pioneer SC-1522-K, Polk RTiA9, PS3 Slim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-10-2013, 08:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 324
I'd recommend the Infinity Primus 363s for $400 and the matching PC351 center for $200. Or you could just get the towers now and add the center, surrounds and a decent subwoofer from HSU research, SVS, or Rhthmik later (or check out the budget subwoofers thread, the current reigning budget subwoofer king is the Klipsch RW-12d which can often be had for $300 from Newegg).

Newegg also has the KEF iq70s on sale for $500/pair. These speakers are phenomenal at this price and superior to the Infinities. The matching center is no longer available but I"ve read the Q200C or Q600C match up fairly well.

"Guns for show, knives for a pro..."
post #3 of 7 Old 02-10-2013, 09:03 PM

Liked: 19
Also since its 80W per channel, if I'm only using 2 channels, that seems like a waste. Is there anyway to put those other watts to use and power some better speakers? Would that be "bridging" or something?

Don't bother. It's takes a lot of components to get this right.
post #4 of 7 Old 02-11-2013, 05:05 AM - Thread Starter

Thx postrokfan. Looks like Amazon has the infinity primus P363 for $168 each:
http://www.amazon.com/Infinity-Primus-P363-Three-way-Floorstanding/dp/B0046A8R3M/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1360587318&sr=1-3&keywords=infinity+primus
Can't help but notice how almost identical these look to my Sony's posted above. Two 6.5's etc. You really think these will be night and day better than my Sony's? Should I look for a set with bigger woofers? The Sony's produce barely any bass, and I'm wondering if my 80 watts per channel is not enough to make any speakers sound good. ou think my sonys or onkyo receiver are more likely to blame? Also do I have the right ohms? I will add a powered sub later, whenever I'm not in an apartment with neighbors etc, so just looking for decent towers that will work well with my 80w per channel. Or if I should just dump this receiver too and get a higher power unit. Ugh.

post #5 of 7 Old 02-11-2013, 08:53 PM
AVS Special Member

The Infinities dig only slightly lower but the difference in clarity will be noticeable and this is based on the crossover and cabinet design. If you want a truly dramatic change in quality the KEF iQ70s would be the way to go. Also, you really need a subwoofer if you want deep bass.

post #6 of 7 Old 02-25-2013, 07:43 PM - Thread Starter

Pretty sure I'm going with the Pioneer SC-1222-K receiver to have a good amount of power. With this upgraded AVR what do you think about these 3 speaker package options. Already have 2 old jbl bookshelves that will serve as my rear surrounds, and not interested in a sub right now. So only looking for fronts and center speaker.

Infinity Primus
P163BK only $260 pair on amazon
PC351 center channel. $279

JBL
L830 fronts $500
LC2 center $290

PSB
B6 fronts $550
C5 center $400

I hear good things about all of them. The sc-1222-k is 4 ohm certified. These are the 3 options I have researched so far. Any advice is always appreciated!

post #7 of 7 Old 02-25-2013, 08:44 PM
AVS Special Member

I haven't heard the JBLs but your other two options are good ones. I would be tempted to go with the PSBs as they are a notch above the Infinities but at a much steeper price. I know you said you aren't interested in a subwoofer but you will need one eventually for any of the three speakers in your list especially if it's primarily for HT or a 50:50 mix of HT/music.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page