Receiver advise - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 02-11-2013, 09:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi everyone,
About to finish my basement and setting up a home theater area. The room is 25feet long by 16 feet wide 8 feet ceilings. I'm open to sugestions, for speakers, and receiver.
I'm leaning towards a 7.1/2 setup depending on how it sounds. may be add the secon sub later.

I'm planning on getting polk rc85i (inwall speakers) for front LCR and surround left and right.
and 2 rc80i round speakers (inwall) on the ceiling.

they are on sale at amazon, with a free psw111 sub from polk.

i have read mixed reviews on the sub, but i guess thats where the 7.2 setup with 2 subs would come in to play in case i ever need it.

now to the receiver, I'm looking at yamaha a720; pioneer 1122k; onkyo nr717. not sure which one.

Would love to hear from you guys on what you think of the setup.

I'm not an audiophile by any means, my current setup is a 5 yr old sony home theater in a box setup and i think its pretty decent haha. So obviously i dont know much.

My budget, I was planning on getting Bose lifestyle 5.1 speakers with onkyo receiver for 1199 at costco. Heard all the bad reviews of bose, I guess its atleast not worth the money.

So there you have it 1200-1500 budget for everything, speakers, sub and receiver and i prefer inwall.

Thanks guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 02-12-2013, 12:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 52
The only suggestion I have would be to step up to the Onkyo TX-NR818 for the ability to add external amplification and Audyssey MultXT 32 to EQ two subs. You are boxing yourself in with in-wall speakers but being able to add more power would help if you ever decided to go with the top-of-the-line Polk in-wall or maybe Definitive Technology in-wall. If you are never planning on upgrading the Polk in-wall, then any of those receivers would be fine.

HD-DVD = 94
Blu-Ray = 120 ( 24 Warner red2blu )
post #3 of 3 Old 02-12-2013, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanx for the reply jevans.. my question would be how would onkyo 818 compare to yamaha a820. I decided to go with the rc85i for now. i assume it would make a good enough upgrade from sony speakers that i have.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page