Best type receiver for vienna acoustic speakers - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 02-11-2013, 10:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am looking for advice on which tyoe of receiver is best for the speakers I have. I have Vienna Acoustics- 2 Mozart Grands and 1 Grand Maestro. Right now I have them running through a Sony receiver I bought about 18 months ago off of Amazon. I am pretty sure it is not doing the speakers justice. Which receivers would you recommend within the $500-$700nrange?

Thanks for the advice.

EA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-12-2013, 06:45 AM

Liked: 37
Vienna Concert Grands are 4 Ohm speakers and can be pretty difficult to properly drive. They thrive on higher power. Suggest you go over to the Vienna Acoustics owner thread in the Speakers forum and post over there. Also take some time to read the last several pages. There was some discussion recently about driving full 5.0 sets of VA's with AVR's and the Arcam 400 was mentioned as being able to get the job done. Good luck.

Parasound 5125, Parasound 2100, Pro-ject RM 5.1SE, Dynavector 10x5, Pro-ject Phono Box S, Pro-ject Speed Box II, Arcam FMJ CD17, Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Pioneer Elite BDP-52FD, Vienna Acoustics Bach Grands, Vienna Acoustics Theatro Grand, Wharfedale Diamond 9.2s, REL T-1 & Panasonic TC-P54S1
post #3 of 5 Old 02-12-2013, 07:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked: 997
Quote:
Originally Posted by eabrego67 View Post

I am looking for advice on which type of receiver is best for the speakers I have. I have Vienna Acoustics- 2 Mozart Grands and 1 Grand Maestro. Right now I have them running through a Sony receiver I bought about 18 months ago off of Amazon. I am pretty sure it is not doing the speakers justice. Which receivers would you recommend within the $500-$700nrange?

The feature that your Sony receiver may be weak or deficient about would be its automated room tuning facility. The best around is called Audyssey Multieq XT32, and I don't think your Sony has it. Last I looked Sony has their own which is mystery meat to me.

You don't say it explicitly but it appears that you don't have a subwoofer. Among other things a good subwoofer offloads your AVR.

The impedance curve of your Mozarts is as follows:

http://www.stereophile.com/content/vienna-acoustics-mozart-loudspeaker-measurements

This should not be something that a good AVR would stumble on but you don't say exactly which AVR you have, so it is hard to say more in your situation.

However these speakers are low efficiency according to this reliable review source.

Stereophile finds this response curve for your speakers:

which does not indicate robust bass performance.

The response curve also shows a big dip in the midrange which the reviewer attributed to a serious error in construction that can be alleviated. I suggest contacting the manufacturer for advice and correction. At this price (> $2k per pair) this is a serious lapse of QC is IMO inexcusable. Nobody with good ears is listening to the finished products, it is as simple as that! This kind of failing would be inexcusable in $100 speakers! My goodness!!!

This limited bass dynamic range problem is confirmed by my highly optimistic model of the bass dynamic range of your L & R speakers:

Freq,Hz Max SPL, DB

10 74
20 86
30 93
40 98
50 102
60 105
70 108
80 110
90 112
100 114
110 115
120 117

These speakers run out of gas as high end speakers at 80 Hz, and as mid-fi speakers around 45 Hz.

The acquisition of a good subwoofer is indicated. I usually recommend that your subwoofer budget should be based on what you paid for your L & R speakers.

Then there is the matter of room acoustics treatment, etc.

In short there are many reasons why you are not getting what you expect out of your existing system. I would start with getting them corrected and then a subwoofer, but everything mentioned above is important.
post #4 of 5 Old 02-12-2013, 10:14 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice, I will check out the VA speakers thread.
post #5 of 5 Old 02-12-2013, 10:20 PM - Thread Starter

ArnyK

I have the Vienna Acoustics I mentioned (2 Mozart Grands and the Maestro Grand) I do have a subwoofer, it is a REL Acoustic Q150E. The Sony receiver is the STR DH810. Have it all connected with Verizon FIO's and a Sony KDL 55NX720 television. I am slowly larning the Audiophile ways would appreciate anymore thoughts you care to share.

Thanks
EA
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page