Onkyo TX-NR708 - Suddenly no sound - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 32 Old 02-12-2013, 06:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I've been using the TX-NR708 receiver for nearly three years, bought it as a refurb from Amazon. It's been solid up until the other day, I get no sound at all from the main amp. The video looks fine, all of my sources are displayed though the receiver's HDMI output, but no sound from any source. For a test, I turned on Zone 2 that power my outdoor speakers, and that was working fine, so it seems the problem may be with the main amp.

I've since performed a factory reset, and it appears to be worse since doing this. The network and firmware options are grayed out in the settings menu, and there is no network connectivity. I have no sound in Zone2 any more. I also tried to enable HDMI audio out so I could at least hear the speakers in my TV for the time being, but this doesn't seem to work either.

Is this receiver fried? I can't reload the firmware since that option is now grayed out (why is it grayed out?). Does it sound like more of a mother/logic board issue, or something else? There's a service center about 25 miles away from me that I'm probably going to take it to, but I have no idea what to expect and wonder if it will be even worth having it repaired. Any ideas before I go this route?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

edit: clarification
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 02-12-2013, 07:38 AM

Liked: 10
I just experienced the same problem with my TX-NR808. I emailed ONKYO Parts & Service and they extended a one-time warranty repair at my local authorized service center. It ended up that a chip needed to be 'reflowed'...which I imagine meant that the connection was broken and they had to solder or replace. I may have this wrong, but I was told the repair was 'reflowed !C-3001'.

These units run very hot...so for me...maybe my ventilation was not adequate and the heating/cooling took its toll on the chip?? Maybe one of the techies on this forum knows more about this issue.
post #3 of 32 Old 02-12-2013, 06:58 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, guess all I can do is email them and see what they say.
post #4 of 32 Old 03-29-2013, 06:15 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 25
So did they repair it Junky?

post #5 of 32 Old 04-09-2013, 07:24 AM - Thread Starter

They did, and it's working just a good as it did when I bought it. I hope it lasts since that will probably be the only out-of-warranty repair Onkyo will cover.
post #6 of 32 Old 04-09-2013, 08:51 AM

I just had
post #7 of 32 Old 04-09-2013, 08:55 AM

I just had the exact same problem yesterday. I have no audio, not even a hum. Network, remote setup and maybe some other options are grayed out. You say Onkyo covered the repair out of warranty; that would be great.

Did you e-mail Onkyo from their web site? Who did you contact and what did you say?

I would greatly appreciate any advice/guidance.
post #8 of 32 Old 04-09-2013, 09:17 AM - Thread Starter

Yes, Onkyo covered it out of warranty. Check out this thread for details:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1262803/the-official-tx-nr708-owners-thread/1560#post_22999362

Basically, I emailed parts at us.onkyo.com and told them my situation, that there were numerous failures all over the net describing the exact same problem, and if there was anything they could do for me, even if my amp was out of warranty. They requested a receipt of purchase, then set me up with a local service center that replaced the faulty board at no cost to me. It took a few weeks to get the amp back, but since has been working great. Give that email address a shot, hopefully they'll work with you like they worked with me.

I hate knowing there has been such widespread failure for this board inside, and really hope they've made improvements to the replacements, but so far so good. Good luck.
post #9 of 32 Old 06-13-2013, 07:35 AM

I might have to send mine in. I wonder If they will still honor the warranty, Gulp I hope so...Anyone have the parts dept email?

post #10 of 32 Old 06-22-2013, 11:59 AM

Anyone know the turn around time for the repair?

post #11 of 32 Old 06-24-2013, 12:14 PM

bump.

post #12 of 32 Old 06-30-2013, 03:52 PM

You've probably already answered your questions but here's how mine turned out. I e-mailed Onkyo USA Parts at parts@us.onkyo.com to ask about repair work. Here's what I put in the e-mail:

"I have a TX-NR708 that suddenly has no audio output. It worked great until yesterday when I turned it on and got no audio from any source. There’s not even a hiss or hum from the speakers at max volume so I’m pretty sure no signal exists.

At least a couple of menu options are grayed out; I noticed network, firmware update, and remote controller setup. This lack of audio and the grayed out options seem the same as a few threads I’ve seen on forums. In those threads, people refer to the DSP chip on an HDMI board.

The unit is a couple of years old but I still have receipt information.

Help in getting this fixed would be greatly appreciated."

They asked for the serial number and a copy of the receipt. (I'm not sure the receipt info was necessary but I happened to have it so I sent it.) In the end, I paid shipping to get it to a shop in Indiana (I live in Ohio). It came back good as new after about three weeks.

Works great again! All software was up to date. Unit was clean and fresh looking with no fingerprints or dust. Impressed.
afterlife2 likes this.
post #13 of 32 Old 06-30-2013, 08:42 PM

Thanks Zor. Glad it worked out for you. Have long have you had it back?

post #14 of 32 Old 07-01-2013, 07:12 AM

Liked: 12
Again, thanks zorbulnoph for the update. I have a 809 and am thinking about this HDMI board failure. Would an extended warranty be a good investment? I have to ship mine to Syracuse, NY and UPS estimates the cost to be about $80.
post #15 of 32 Old 07-01-2013, 02:03 PM

(afterlife2) I've had my receiver back for about 6 weeks. I've wandered through all of the functions and modes and everything is working just fine.

(chanc) I don't know much about buying extended warranties. When they fixed my receiver, they called it a one time warranty extension; what it really meant was that they decided to fix it for free despite the fact that the original warranty was expired. If you have the same problem that many other users are having, it's worth asking them to fix it. They apparently know there are problems with some of their products and it seems they want to keep the owners of the high end receivers happy. It's worth an e-mail or two to find out what they say.
post #16 of 32 Old 07-01-2013, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanc View Post

Again, thanks zorbulnoph for the update. I have a 809 and am thinking about this HDMI board failure. Would an extended warranty be a good investment? I have to ship mine to Syracuse, NY and UPS estimates the cost to be about $80.

Send it USPS priority with confirmation only 30 bucks. Extended warranty is never a bad thing.

post #17 of 32 Old 07-01-2013, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorbulnoph View Post

I've had my receiver back for about 6 weeks. I've wandered through all of the functions and modes and everything is working just fine.

Ok that sounds great. Thanks for your help. Just a tip guys know keep the ohm on 4 and not 6. You will have a cooler receiver.

post #18 of 32 Old 07-02-2013, 05:35 PM

Funny you should say that; the 4 ohm setting was one of the reasons I got the 708. I have very large 4 ohm front speakers and didn't want to risk damaging a receiver that wasn't built for that sort of load.
post #19 of 32 Old 07-13-2013, 07:39 AM

zorbulnoph it really does help to keep it cool at 4ohm. Once again thanks for your help.
UPDATE.: They called me a couple of times with updates. Well I got it yesterday. 3 weeks to the day. It came double boxed to my surprise with plenty of popcorn cushions. Hooked it up and everything is working well so far. I will update and see how it goes. I sent it to the NY service center and so far I'm very impressed with their service. BRAVO! PS: Save yourself some money and send it USPS Priority, it cost only $29.90 shipped and they ship it back for FREE.

post #20 of 32 Old 07-25-2013, 11:10 AM
Advanced Member

This has been happening off and on for me of late but is usually fixed by turning the 708 off and on again, or resetting the device providing the signal...turn on the unit and nothing 'clicks' on like it used too.

It was working fine last night, but as of right now, I'm getting no sounds and turning the devices on and off do nothing. Sucks. Going to reach out to Onkyo today.
post #21 of 32 Old 07-25-2013, 11:17 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by afterlife2 View Post

zorbulnoph it really does help to keep it cool at 4ohm. Once again thanks for your help.
UPDATE.: They called me a couple of times with updates. Well I got it yesterday. 3 weeks to the day. It came double boxed to my surprise with plenty of popcorn cushions. Hooked it up and everything is working well so far. I will update and see how it goes. I sent it to the NY service center and so far I'm very impressed with their service. BRAVO! PS: Save yourself some money and send it USPS Priority, it cost only $29.90 shipped and they ship it back for FREE.

Just bought the 2 year warranty extension, still have 1 year left in the original warranty. Looked up the service center for CT, it's in upstate NY. Happy to hear yours is working fine now. This no sound business is happening to a lot of owners it seems.
post #22 of 32 Old 10-28-2013, 08:18 AM

Well i just had the same issue as all of you are having, my unit is about 2 years old as well. Called them over the weekend but just sent an email to see what i get back that route. Hopefully they will take care of it without me having to pay for the repair, thinking of having this receiver out of my hands for 2-3 weeks is killing me LOL. Not sure what im going to do without it, never thought i would get so used to it.

I'll keep you guys posted on what i get back from them....
post #23 of 32 Old 10-31-2013, 07:34 AM

Just spoke to them over the phone and they said to send them the receipt and some personal info as well as the serial number and stuff, they said they'd take a look at it and perhaps extend the courtesy of a one time warranty extension. Fingers crossed!!!

post #24 of 32 Old 11-02-2013, 01:56 PM

Ahh, I have an HT-RC370 that ran into the same problem this morning. So yeah, it seems like a common issue for Onkyo AVR's around that time. I'm only a few months out from my 2 year warranty, but I'll have to wait till monday to see if I get the same treatment. *sigh* You never realize how much you miss it when your receiver goes down... might be time to hook up my old 705 for a while....
post #25 of 32 Old 11-15-2013, 11:59 AM

Hello

sounds like I got the same problem than you. No sound on the speaker anymore , HDMI through is fine , but that's it . Tried to restore default value : not better. And the network function is grayed as well.

My question is : is one of you based in Europe ? I am personally based in France and i was wondering if Onkyo created a precedent as well to take in charge the repair . I do have a lot of good info from here to justify that my problem is not unique but it's always easier not to be first of a kind

Tx

post #26 of 32 Old 11-15-2013, 03:33 PM

Yeah they said they will extend the 1 time warranty but i had to play hard ball and tell them based on forums online they seem to have used defective parts so it wasnt an issue of wear it was a mfg defect!!!

Also mine when i let it warm up for 30 mins to 1 hr and then disconnect it from the power source, turn it back on again, everything goes back to normal!!! At the moment im watching a movie like nothing ever happened, im enjoying
It before i send it back on Monday!
post #27 of 32 Old 11-23-2013, 11:16 AM

My TX-NR808 just did the same thing. We only use it for a few hours a week. Worked fine one day and no sound the next. I hope they will extend the warranty for me as well.
post #28 of 32 Old 12-12-2013, 01:26 PM

Hola ........... Tengo la solucion al Problema de la placa de HDMI, poseo sin aire Onkyo TX-NR708 los tipicos Problemas de Soldaduras.
Lo envie a reparar al Servicio Técnico de ONKYO y La Respuesta Que FUE en efecto, tenia la placa HDMI párr switch to Pero Que no tenian Ninguna y tendria Que Esperar minimo de dos Meses una ONU Año Para Qué recibieran plascas y pudieran arreglarlo, aire lo Cual Me Quede de piedra .... entiendo de Como de electronica les Comente Que si en Vez de arreglarme la placa Que es Verdad es Lo Que tendrian Que HACER, si que era Lo Que hacian Simplemente change Placas Pues les Dije Que Servicio Tecnico podria servicio CUALQUIERA Que lo cerraran Y Que me lo devolvieran, Tuve Que Pagar previamente 20 € Antes de Que lo habrieran, ahhh Otra Cosa me pidieron de la placa 300 €, sin comentarios.

Bueno el Problema está en dos chips BGA Que existencial en la placa, en sí distingen Porque ningunas sí les Florerias ver Ninguna soldadura al Estar TODAS Bajo los BGA y Llevan la inscripcion de DTS y Dolby Creo Recordar.

La Reparacion Es La SIGUIENTE, SE desmonta TOTALMENTE La Placa de HDMI Y sí enrrolla Completamente estafadores Papel de plata en Toda Bien Tapada despues localizais los dos BGA y ONU de la estafa Cutex cortais estafa Cuidado solistas de el Cuadro de Los Mismos quitado lo cortado y quedando a la vista solista de Los Dos fichas, Ahora pondreis base de uña de apolo Para La placa porción EJEMPLO madera, Que No mar Algo de metal, terminado Este paso teneis PONER Que el horno de Vuestra Casa a 200 º y CUANDO SE apage el termostato del horno PORQUE ha Llegado un Temperatura de base, sí abre y sí colocara la placa estafa do Dentro Del Horno SOBRE 10,12 Minutos, apagandolo y abriendo el horno párr Que se enfrie pecado Tocar nada.

De Cuando this fria le quitais el Papel de plata el Cual habra evitado Que se caliente el resto de la placa, plasticos, etc .. la conectais otra vez en el ONKYO pecado Olvidar ningun conector y tendreis la grata sorpresa Que se Han Vuelto a todos Usuario soldar los Puntos de soldadura y Que el ONKYO Vuelve a funcionar.Dado el Servicio Que Me Dieron los de ONKYO, NO VOLVERE A REPETIR MARCA.

Como el Problema Es Por el EXCESIVO Calor Que llegan Todos Los ONKYO, párr Pues no volver a Tener el Mismo Problema Tengo Puestos en los BGA disipadores de Calor aire ventilador y Controlados exteriormente ONU de la estafa termostato digital de Que se encarga de conectarlos y desconectarlos porción Temperatura, Ahora porción mucha caña Que le de no me Pasa La TEMPERATURA DE 32 º. Espero haberos ayudado y en Cuanto a ESTOS señores de ONKYO no tengo ganas ni de hacerles ningún comentario mas Pero existencial UNOS soldadores de Aire Caliente párr arreglar o change Estós fichas Haciendo rebaling y he aquí que él Teñido de Que HACER yo mismo en mi casa ONU de la estafa convecional horno ..... ladrones.

post #29 of 32 Old 01-07-2014, 10:32 AM

This just happened to me after 3 years use. One day the sound is working. The next its not. Just sent Onkyo an email with receipt and serial number. Lets see how this turns out.

Note that a friend of mine had an Onkyo for a little over 1 year and his HDMI went out completely.
post #30 of 32 Old 01-20-2014, 09:10 AM

2014/01/02

I sent the following email to parts@us.onkyo.com
Onkyo support,

The audio output on my TX-NR708 Onkyo receiver that I purchased in December of 2010 has stopped working. Nothing out of the speakers at all. I can get sound out of the headphone jack but only when Pure Audio is selected.

I had to have this unit serviced twice in it's first year due to poor parts or assembly (see attached receipts).

Can you cover an out of warranty service on this unit? I really like the receiver and would hate to get rid of it after only 3 years service.

I prefer the Teletron Service Company in Seattle if they are one of your approved places.
2014/01/13

When I didn't hear anything back I went to their web site http://www.onkyousa.com/Support/ and requested a support person to call me back. They did within an hour or so. Lawrence was able to find the email I had sent and said he would get back with me within the next couple of days.

2014/01/16

Still hadn't heard from Onkyo. Went to http://www.onkyousa.com/Support/ and posted a note on their support forum there under the subject "TX-nr708 no sound, no support". They replied back the same day and said they would contact me.

2014/01/17

I think there is something wrong with Onkyo sending emails to Hotmail accounts. I wasn't able to register with their forum using my Hotmail account since I wasn't able to receive their conformation email. Must be blocked by Hotmail's spam filters. I was able to register using my Gmail account.

I never did receive any email reply from Onkyo to my Hotmail or Gmail account BUT I did get a call the same day from Teletron in Seattle. Teletron said that Onkyo had contacted them and would pay in full for the repair.

2014/01/18 Saturday

I dropped my TX-NR708 off for repair at Teletron in Seattle. They said it would be about 2-3 weeks.

2014/01/20

Thank you Onkyo for agreeing to repair my TX-NR708 since I did purchase my unit on 6 December 2010 and you are not legally required to do this. I just hope that your quality control in your factories has improved since my unit was built.
2014/02/13

Picked up my receiver at Teletron in Seattle. Took it home and everything seems to be working fine. The service guy said they had replaced a circuit board. The repair invoice read as follows:
"Replaced Bad HDMI PCB. Installed firmware update. Checked operation."

I suggest if you have issues with Onkyo products to check their discussion forums at Onkyo USA support (www.onkyousa.com/Support/) and also here on the AVS Forum. Search for your model of product and see what others say.

Although it was inconvenient for me to drive to the repair place and to do without my receiver for three weeks Onkyo did stand behind there product and repair it for me at no cost even though it was out of warranty. Thank you Onkyo.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr708
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page