Need I worry about a refurbished Denon 1613? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 02-12-2013, 07:49 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 48
So I'm about to pull the trigger on getting the Denon 1613 from AC4L.com. It's currently priced at $229 and with shipping it will cost $244. I've been hesitant because it is "refurbished", but I read in one forum that they actually prefer a refuribished from there not only due to the lower price, but because it's actually gone through a more tight inspection than one off the assembly line. i don't know how accurate of a statement this is, but it does make sense to me.

Plus, with a year warranty included and then the ability to purchase an extended doesn't seem too bad. I have $75 in BB gift cards, but theirs and Amazon's price is holding strong at $399. Holding on to those gift cards might serve me better down the road.

This is my first receiver that I will be purchasing. What do you think from experience?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-12-2013, 07:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 389
I've owned the 1613 since late November and it has worked fine for my needs. It doesn't have a AM radio if that matters to you, only FM.

It is limited in analog inputs but if everything you use is HDMI you should be fine.

I'd rather have new over refurbished because you get a longer warranty but if you cant find a good price then a refurb is okay. I don't believe every refurb receiver goes thru close inspection. Some may just be returns that are reboxed and sold as refurbs.

What devices will you be connecting to this new receiver? What speakers?

Afro GT
post #3 of 8 Old 02-12-2013, 08:07 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just got a refurbished Denon AVR-1913 from A4less. Great price, fast shipping, and the AVR arrived in great condition. Works like a charm. I was a bit anxious about buying refurbished, too, but it's worked out for me.

Good luck!
post #4 of 8 Old 02-12-2013, 08:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Fry's is currently selling the AVR 1913 for $329 thru Thursday, in store only.
http://slickdeals.net/f/5846634-Denon-AVR-1913-7-1-Home-theater-receiver-frys-for-329-tax-In-store-only-YMMV

If you don't have a Fry's location close by then this refurb deal is pretty good.

Afro GT
post #5 of 8 Old 02-12-2013, 08:39 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

I've owned the 1613 since late November and it has worked fine for my needs. It doesn't have a AM radio if that matters to you, only FM.

It is limited in analog inputs but if everything you use is HDMI you should be fine.

I'd rather have new over refurbished because you get a longer warranty but if you cant find a good price then a refurb is okay. I don't believe every refurb receiver goes thru close inspection. Some may just be returns that are reboxed and sold as refurbs.

What devices will you be connecting to this new receiver? What speakers?

I have an Xbox 360, a Wii, and will be getting a blu ray player at some point. I don't know if I should be too concerned about the warranty being that I can extend that warranty for pretty cheap, heh?

I currently have a pair of RTi4's for my fronts and the BIC F12 for my sub. I will be adding on the CSI3 at some point for my center, but my 2.1 setup will suffice for now.

I'd like to get something fairly soon, but I just can't justify paying $399 for a receiver. Being that I want Audyssey MutliEq, the 1613 seems like my best bet.
post #6 of 8 Old 02-12-2013, 11:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Do you have a Wii to HDMI cable? Because if you don't this Denon 1613 does not convert analog video inputs to HDMI. The Denon 1613 doesn't have component video inputs either, only a composite video input (yellow video, red/white audio)

Otherwise you'll have to run composite a/v cables to the receiver and then another set from the receiver to the TV.

No cable/sat box in the mix?

Afro GT
post #7 of 8 Old 02-12-2013, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

Do you have a Wii to HDMI cable? Because if you don't this Denon 1613 does not convert analog video inputs to HDMI. The Denon 1613 doesn't have component video inputs either, only a composite video input (yellow video, red/white audio)

Otherwise you'll have to run composite a/v cables to the receiver and then another set from the receiver to the TV.

No cable/sat box in the mix?

I guess I didn't know you could hook up the Wii via HDMI. Which cable would that be?

We don't plan on getting cable at the moment due to cost as we are trying to save a little money after buying our first house. I'm sure we will get cable in the future, just not at the current moment. And by the way, if we were just to get bunny ears for local stations, is there a way to get this sound through the speakers hooked up to the receiver?

Afrogt, you seem to know your way around all this audio stuff. My main reason for sticking with the Denon 1613 is due to the Audyssey MulitEq. I think buying it from AC4L seems like my best bet as I can get it for $229. Do you think this reciever is the best way to go around this price range?
post #8 of 8 Old 02-12-2013, 06:20 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1021 Post(s)
Liked: 1506
Wii2HDMI ---> http://www.amazon.com/HDMI-1080P-Output-Upscaling-Converter/dp/B007PY3ZPG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1360721760&sr=8-1&keywords=wii2hdmi

TV audio can be returned to the AVR either via the HDMI(ARC) feature if the TV supports it (ie. HDMI 1.4) or you can connect an optical audio cable from the TV to the AVR as well.

The 1613 should serve you well, and prior to my moving to N. Atlanta recently, I was about 5 miles from AC4L in Orlando and visited their warehouse and met with the CEO. Very professional operation having been in business over 10 years and has been recommended on this forum for many years as well, although only recently becoming a Denon authorized refurb reseller (Oct 2010).

Note also there is a dedicated thread for Denon AVR-XX13 questions linked in my sig. Review posts #1-6 in that thread for additional helpful information.

---------------------------------
"JD" –
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Mon - Fri: 10am – 10pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Parasound
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page