Decisions, Decisions...Samsung Anynet+, Optical Audio Cable, or Roku Stick - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 02-12-2013, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Greetings, I am brand new to the forum and looking for some advice on setup of my system, which consists of the following components, so far:

Denon AVR-3312CI Receiver
Oppo BDP-103 DVD/CD Player
Tivo Series 3 HD DVR
Samsung UN60ES8000 LED HDTV
Logitech Harmony One Remote

The advice I am seeking consists of how to best watch Amazon Prime streaming movies. In the current setup the only component capable of streaming the Amazon movies is the Samsung TV. Since both the receiver and TV are ARC compliant and I am running HDMI 1.4 cable I can turn on the Anynet+ feature on the TV and change the HDMI control to On on the receiver to get the audio from the TV back to the receiver. The dilemma with this is it does require the extra steps and cannot be controlled automatically via the Harmony remote. Furthermore, once I want to switch back to the Tivo or the Oppo I have to turn off the Anynet+ on the TV and the HDMI control back to off otherwise the receiver and TV no longer get along. This is not ideal for me and especially not for my wife who gets angry when I leave the ARC setting on and she can't watch the TV.

As I see it there are a couple of options I have that would allow me to watch the Amazon Prime streaming movies while keeping things simplified and able to be controlled by the Harmony Remote

Option 1 -- Run an optical audio cable from the TV back to the receiver. This one creates a fixed connection between the two and would allow the audio to go from the TV back to the receiver and could be automated with the remote and source settings on the receiver. Only bad is that I would need to fish additional cabling through the wall, thankfully I left a string at the opening of the conduit specifically for his situation.

Option 2 -- Buy a Roku Stick to use with the Oppo BDP-103 or a stand-alone Roku XD Player to play the Amazon streaming movies.

Thanks in advance for any sound advice (pun intended wink.gif) you can provide.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 02-12-2013, 05:56 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked: 1368
Option #1 is likely what most do to avoid any HDMI(ARC) related issues. Also in many cases, the TV can only output PCM 2.0 over HDMI(ARC) while it can output DD 5.1 on the optical output (eg. Netflix movies).

Also note there is a dedicated thread for Denon AVR-XX12 Owners linked in my sig. Review posts #3-6 in that thread for additional helpful information.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page