So what would be the current best bang for the buck receiver? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 29 Old 02-12-2013, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Now the first thing most will ask is what is your budget, but I don't have to list one, as the best bang for the buck will work it self out. You pay more of course for the most powerful and for the latest and greatest yes, but they all come with diminishing returns the more you spend. So I would love to hear what people think the current best bang for the buck is. I am thinking in no special order, power, features, reliability and price etc.... Let the opinions start!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 02-12-2013, 01:46 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I may be biased, but I think the SC-1222-K is the best value at this time.

http://www.hometheater.com/content/pioneer-elite-sc-61-av-receiver

Just take a look at the review. (SC-1222 is same as SC-61 essentially)
post #3 of 29 Old 02-12-2013, 03:00 PM

Liked: 11
I may be biased as well buy count another vote for the 1222-K. It's an amazing receiver for the money.

TV: Panasonic Plasma 60" TC-P60ST30
Receiver: Pioneer SC-1222-K
Blu-Ray: Sony BDP-S590
Speakers: MK Sound M-7 / M4-T
Sub: MK Sound SB-12
post #4 of 29 Old 02-12-2013, 05:46 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
I saw a link yesterday to the yamaha 673 on buy.com or best buy. Com for 399

I have a 1222k but that yamaha deal is an excellent one as well

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
post #5 of 29 Old 02-12-2013, 11:25 PM - Thread Starter

cant wait to see what others have to say.
post #6 of 29 Old 02-13-2013, 12:01 AM

Liked: 42
Denon 1913 is $329 at Frys through Thursday
post #7 of 29 Old 02-13-2013, 08:43 PM - Thread Starter

cool
post #8 of 29 Old 02-13-2013, 08:56 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 43
The Onkyo 809 at 450 was the best deal.

The problem you run into OP is that the best bang for buck receiver changes week to week and day to day. Also, if you don't have any specific needs there will be tons of bang for buck receivers. You need some guidelines or it really doesn't work.
post #9 of 29 Old 02-13-2013, 10:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 55
I think the Onkyo 818 for $599 was a great deal, and congrats to all who got in on that. cool.gif

The white zone is for loading, and unloading, only. If you need to load, or unload, please go to the white zone.... you'll love it, it's a way of life.
post #10 of 29 Old 02-13-2013, 10:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlhungdude View Post

I think the Onkyo 818 for $599 was a great deal, and congrats to all who got in on that. cool.gif
Where was that at?
post #11 of 29 Old 02-13-2013, 10:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tential View Post

The Onkyo 809 at 450 was the best deal.

The problem you run into OP is that the best bang for buck receiver changes week to week and day to day. Also, if you don't have any specific needs there will be tons of bang for buck receivers. You need some guidelines or it really doesn't work.
I would have to say I disagree. As most of these recievers nowadays, all have the same basic specs. Sure one has more streaming music options, or one has height or width and what not, but also comes in the price, power and the reliabilty that goes along with it. You can have a very expensive and powerful product, on sale for very little, but yet is very unreliable and have bugs and issues, well that is not a very good bang for the buck. Do you see my point? It a balanced look, at least that is how I am looking at it.
post #12 of 29 Old 02-14-2013, 04:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 458 Post(s)
Liked: 1068
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalguy View Post

Now the first thing most will ask is what is your budget, but I don't have to list one, as the best bang for the buck will work it self out. You pay more of course for the most powerful and for the latest and greatest yes, but they all come with diminishing returns the more you spend. So I would love to hear what people think the current best bang for the buck is. I am thinking in no special order, power, features, reliability and price etc.... Let the opinions start!!!!!

In fact almost all of the important functions and specs of AVRs are remarkably similar no matter what you pay from $200 to 6,000.

For example every mainstream AVR and even most of the booster amps that people buy for them fall within a +/- 3 dB power range (50 watts to 200 watts). In the real world a 3 dB improvement gives you very little joy. It takes 10 times the power to create the impression of "Twice as loud" and when was the last time you saw a 1,000 wpc AVR? They are like hen's teeth! The power output of AVRs are limited by their power cords and the fact that an ordinary human being has to put them on a shelf, not Charles Atlas. You can't overcome those two influences for any amount of money!

No manufacturer with any delusions about staying in business wants to sell an unreliable AVR. All it takes is a product return or a few tech support calls or some bad mouthing on a forum, and his profits have evaporated. The dealer may have not made a dime on the AVR which is one reason so many of them boost fancy cables.

Surprisingly enough it is probable that the one feature of a an AVR besides working well doing bread-and-butter things, that makes the biggest difference is its built-in system optimization feature, whether it is Audyssey, MCACC or YPAO. The gold standard seems to be Audyssey Multieq XT32 and it can all by itself add $100's to the cost of an AVR.

System optimization software (sometimes mistakenly called Room Correction) is a completely intangible feature - it is software. It has no weight, takes up almost zero added physical space but it can make a night and day difference in how your system sounds. But you have got to use it. I'll bet that half or more of all new AVR owners either don't know it is there or are fearful of actually trying it. Even bottom end AVRs like the Yamaha RX-V373 have it (YPAO).
post #13 of 29 Old 02-14-2013, 04:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 458 Post(s)
Liked: 1068
Quote:
Originally Posted by wlhungdude View Post

Hidden away in the user's manual (and not on the product web page that I can find): Audyssey Muliteq XT32.

The 809 has only Audyssey Multieq
post #14 of 29 Old 02-14-2013, 04:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 827
Since we are talking about recent past deals. The Harmon Kardon HK 1700 was $199 for a while not long ago. 5.1 network receiver with Airplay and 100wpc. Talk about diminishing returns after that. eek.gif
And it also has some version of "Room Correction".

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #15 of 29 Old 02-14-2013, 08:33 AM

Liked: 12
I picked up the Pioneer 1122-K from buydig (authorized reseller) for $360 . Sounds great, but I am new to the AV world, set up went flawless. One thing to really take into consideration are the "add-on" requirements if you are planning on going bluetooth or getting a network adapter. I figured out real quick that my $360 receiver has now become a $500 receiver if you want to use it to its fullest potential.
post #16 of 29 Old 02-14-2013, 11:50 AM

One should start with some assumptions, or a minimum list of criteria for selection. I made a move to a new(er) AV receiver recently, thus have my own list:

1. HDMI switching. Obviously, the old receiver cannot switch HDMI, hence the need for new AVR.
2. How many is enough? Cable/Sat set top box, Blu-ray, DVD, game, I say a minimum of 4 HDMI sources.
3. What about future proof your AVR, to a minimum? I'll say a network connection for internet radio, but more importantly: ease of firmware updates. This is because AVR are just another form of computer, that requires microprocessor. And computer (especially software) require updates as the design is almost always not mature; the product is shipped with bugs (or features smile.gif) built-in. This can be marketing pressure that they just have to ship an unfinished design product, intented or unintended.
4. Nice to have: USB input for your iPod or aux audio devices.
5. Also nicer to have: USB and HDMI input on the front panel.

The list can go on, but in the lower order of priority.

Based on this list, I picked the Denon AVR-1613, and later exchanged for the 1713 because of the sale, price drops so that a $30 difference is irresistible (extra zone, 1 more HDMI input, a bit more power to me are bonuses).

6. The next price break would be significant for me, or you if you share the same priority: pre-outs for at least 2 front channels L&R.

To this end, only the 3312ci or 3313ci fits the bills, talk about price jump...

I only have time to focus on Denon, also biased, but other brand AVR can be selected based on the above criteria.

Pricewise, if your timing is right, when BB or FS put "yours" on sale, it is a bonus. Note that they will beat other online sellers -I am not working for them, the added benefit is they are authorized dealer, warranty is valid.

I try to recover from this HT bug for a while now smile.gif!
post #17 of 29 Old 02-14-2013, 12:29 PM

There are to many factors to pick a clear cut favorite. Prices change drasticay every week. There is also the issue that some avr's are discounted due to reliability issues, and so on.

If i were to choose an avr today, based on value alone, i would probably pick the Poineer 1222. It seems to be a great avr made by a manufacturer with no widespread reliability issues, and is offered at nearly 50% off retail. So its hard tp male a valoid argument against it.
post #18 of 29 Old 02-14-2013, 03:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

Hidden away in the user's manual (and not on the product web page that I can find): Audyssey Muliteq XT32.

The 809 has only Audyssey Multieq

The NR809 actually has MultEQ XT while the NR818 has XT32.

Afro GT
post #19 of 29 Old 02-14-2013, 03:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalguy View Post

I would have to say I disagree. As most of these recievers nowadays, all have the same basic specs. Sure one has more streaming music options, or one has height or width and what not, but also comes in the price, power and the reliabilty that goes along with it. You can have a very expensive and powerful product, on sale for very little, but yet is very unreliable and have bugs and issues, well that is not a very good bang for the buck. Do you see my point? It a balanced look, at least that is how I am looking at it.

I think best bang for the buck has to meet one's certain needs, its not universal for everyone.

I got my Denon 1613 for $139 new in early December. It is in my office where I only have my satellite receiver and computer connected to it. But if it was in my main room I'd want 7.1 capability, analog to HDMI video conversion, 1080p scaling, Zone 2, Audyssey MultEQ XT, a phono input, etc.

So while it was best bang for the buck for my office purposes it wouldn't have been suitable for my main room. I would not have even purchased it in that case.

Afro GT
post #20 of 29 Old 02-14-2013, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

I think best bang for the buck has to meet one's certain needs, its not universal for everyone.

I got my Denon 1613 for $139 new in early December. It is in my office where I only have my satellite receiver and computer connected to it. But if it was in my main room I'd want 7.1 capability, analog to HDMI video conversion, 1080p scaling, Zone 2, Audyssey MultEQ XT, a phono input, etc.

So while it was best bang for the buck for my office purposes it wouldn't have been suitable for my main room. I would not have even purchased it in that case.
Fair enough, but I dont think anyone, rephrase, most people would not be looking for a receiver for there office. I mean why do you even need one for your office, your computer could run everything.
post #21 of 29 Old 02-14-2013, 04:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

computer cant run my 5 Energy speakers and sub, need a receiver/amp for that. Plus I like to watch DirecTV on the second monitor when I'm working. Nothing like watching baseball or golf and be able to do work at the same time.

Afro GT
post #22 of 29 Old 02-17-2013, 08:11 PM - Thread Starter

anyobe else
post #23 of 29 Old 02-17-2013, 08:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 93
I would look at the Pioneer Elite SC-61.
post #24 of 29 Old 02-17-2013, 09:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 55
ok... so you won't give a budget... fine... I felt the same once...

BUT, at this point, I think you should give a list of your wants / needs in your next AVR. We can approach it from that angle, and give the best recommendation that will fit your needs. What exactly are they? 5.1? Dual Hdmi outs? Room correction? Multiple zones? 9 channels of amplification? 11.4? 4K upscaling ? Analog inputs? SACD player compatibility? HD radio? I can go on...

It is difficult... no, impossible, to know what's the 'best bang for your buck', without knowing either: how many bucks you are willing to part with, OR, what you want / need out of it. One or the other. Please.

I'm not trying to be a Richard here, and I'll help however I can, but at this point, more info is needed.

Joseph

The white zone is for loading, and unloading, only. If you need to load, or unload, please go to the white zone.... you'll love it, it's a way of life.
post #25 of 29 Old 02-17-2013, 09:51 PM
Advanced Member

It's an impossible question because prices change daily. That's why. Prices and also personal preferences. The SC-1222-K was a great receiver for a lot of people but I can't stand having to look at the silly LCD screen and not have an on screen display set up. My HT-RC360 is a great receiver IMO, but there are no preouts. You need to have some way to narrow down the choices, and then you need a time frame lol otherwise you'll never make a decision.
post #26 of 29 Old 02-17-2013, 10:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 726
Is the OP shopping for an AVR or just opinions?

I kinda kick myself for not getting the 818 when it was super cheap (although the best I remember new was 679, was 599 the refurb?) but then I also wanted another sub and some more speakers and ..... decided I'm okay with what I've got right now. As far as that office avr, I would if I could, as I have spares (semi retired) on the shelf plus a decent portable 2.1 system. When I got my Onkyo HTRC370 (with preouts and XT like I was looking for) at $500 delivered it was the best bang for the buck for what I wanted. OTOH my Pioneer 919 went goofy after only two years, so not the good bargain I thought it was at one point. Best will vary with whatever features du jour, connectivity, power and room correction you can afford...and how big a bang for the buck will be influenced by how long they'll last these days before they crap out or become obsolete or no longer have all the features that keep up with all your other gear smile.gif

post #27 of 29 Old 02-18-2013, 04:24 AM

Liked: 17
I'm about to pull the trigger on a Onkyo TX-NR709 for $309 for a refurbished model from Onkyo. I think that's a pretty good deal for a network AVR with pre-outs.
post #28 of 29 Old 02-18-2013, 05:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stangdriverdoug View Post

I'm about to pull the trigger on a Onkyo TX-NR709 for $309 for a refurbished model from Onkyo. I think that's a pretty good deal for a network AVR with pre-outs.

Same position. Just trying to figure out what I'm losing out on from the 809.
post #29 of 29 Old 03-03-2013, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter

anyone have any new comments
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Pioneer Sc 1222 7 2 Channel Network Ready Av Receiver , Denon Avr 1913 Receiver , Onkyo Tx Nr809
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page