Looking for a Receiver with "multi-room" capabilities - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 02-13-2013, 05:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I'm moving into a new place soon. This place has wiring for surround sound in the main living room area. It also has built in speakers in a couple of other rooms (the kitchen, office, and deck).

What I am looking for is a device that will do the surround sound for the TV in the main living room, but also - at the same time - can play music in the other rooms. I understand this is called having a second zone. I talked to a professional about this and he wanted to sell me some very expensive equipment - receiver, amp. remotes.

Can someone recommed something inexpensive that will do what I want it to do? Do I actually need a separate amplifier, or can the Receiver do it all itself? For what it's worth, I intend to hook up a big screen (55-60") TV, possibly 3D capable (since most of them seem to be these days) in the living room with a blu ray player as well.

Thank you for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-13-2013, 04:07 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 747 Post(s)
Liked: 1412
You want either a 5.1 or 7.1 AVR which has Zone 2 pre-outs to another 2CH amp in which to power the extra rooms. If you only have a 5.1 setup in the main zone, consider the Denon 1713 ("call" avscience.com or Electronics Expo for their best price) and the AMP-100. You'll also want a 4-zone impedance matching speaker selector if the extra rooms don't have their own impedance matching volume control switches.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #3 of 5 Old 02-14-2013, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much for your reply.

So, when I have those, I hook the main living room speakers up to the Receiver, and hook the Amp up to the "pre-outs" and then hook the other room speakers to the Amp? Does this Amp. have enough hook ups for approximately 8 speakers? (2 on the deck, 2 in the office, 2 in the study, and 2 in the kitchen?)

I don't know anything about "impedance matching" but each room does have a volume control in the wall for that room's speakers.

If you can't tell, I know next to nothing about audio systems. Is it complicated to set up and get working properly?

Thank you again.
post #4 of 5 Old 02-14-2013, 05:33 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 747 Post(s)
Liked: 1412
Yes, the AVR connections are correct. Where you connect the other zone speakers depends. If the volume control switches have a jumper or dip switch that can be set to control the impedance, then you would connect the 4 sets of speakers to the FL/FR speaker posts on the 2CH amp (ie. there are not 4 sets of speakers posts), otherwise, if not, you'll connect them to the 4 sets of speaker posts on the 4-zone speaker selector I linked to and then connect the 4-zone selector to the FL/FR speaker posts on the 2CH amp. The previously linked speaker selector is a manual selector, while for more $$$ you can get a selector that is either controlled by IR remote control or smart phone as noted in the below system.

http://www.htd.com/Products/mid-level-whole-house-audio

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #5 of 5 Old 02-16-2013, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter

Will the AMP 100 amp work correctly with an Onkyo 515 Receiver? Is that a good receiver? It was one that was recommended by the "professional." I also think we actually have a 7.2 system.

I just want to make sure the parts will all be compatible.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page