Help...Need Amp & Pre/Processor recomendations - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 02-14-2013, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm looking for some help on selecting a Pre/Processor & and Amp for my new speakers. Currently I have a Denon AVR1912 receiver with about 90W per channel. I use my system for about 50/50 music & movies.

I have all Paradigm speakers: Studio 60's v5 fronts, Studio CC-490 Center, Monitor ADP 390's rears, and a DSP-3200 sub.

I really don't want to spend a ton of $$$. I was looking at an Emotiva XPA-5 amp with possibly an Emotiva UMC-200 Pre/Pro. The prices are great and they look pretty good in reviews & specs.

I also have an opportunity to pick up a used Marantz AV7005 Pre/Pro & a Marantz MM7055 amp for under $2,000. The amp isn't as powerful as the Emotiva XPA-5 tho.

I'm hoping that by going with separates I can get more dynamics from my speakers. Does anyone have opinions on the above or any other suggestions. I really don't want to break the bank. Also, If anyone has the studio's, what are you using??

Thanks,

Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 02-14-2013, 09:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 747 Post(s)
Liked: 1161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickguy2100 View Post

I'm looking for some help on selecting a Pre/Processor & and Amp for my new speakers. Currently I have a Denon AVR1912 receiver with about 90W per channel. I use my system for about 50/50 music & movies.

I have all Paradigm speakers: Studio 60's v5 fronts, Studio CC-490 Center, Monitor ADP 390's rears, and a DSP-3200 sub.

I really don't want to spend a ton of $$$. I was looking at an Emotiva XPA-5 amp with possibly an Emotiva UMC-200 Pre/Pro. The prices are great and they look pretty good in reviews & specs.

I also have an opportunity to pick up a used Marantz AV7005 Pre/Pro & a Marantz MM7055 amp for under $2,000. The amp isn't as powerful as the Emotiva XPA-5 tho.

I'm hoping that by going with separates I can get more dynamics from my speakers. Does anyone have opinions on the above or any other suggestions. I really don't want to break the bank. Also, If anyone has the studio's, what are you using??

Here is the impedance curve of the Studio 60 V5 per a reliable source - Stereophile:

I see that Paradigm sort of hedges on the impedance of these speakers saying "Compatible with 8 ohms" (http://www.paradigm.com/products/products-by-category/floorstanding/paradigm-reference/studio-series/studio-60)

Since they are hedging I will use my judgement and say that all things considered, they are actually 4-6 ohm speakers.

Looking at the specs posted in the user's manual PDF I find:

Front:
90 W + 90 W (8 Ω, 20 Hz – 20 kHz with 0.08 % T.H.D.)
125 W + 125 W (6 Ω, 1 kHz with 0.7 % T.H.D.)
Center:
90 W (8 Ω, 20 Hz – 20 kHz with 0.08 % T.H.D.)
125 W (6 Ω, 1 kHz with 0.7 % T.H.D.)
Surround:
Surround back:

Frankly, I'm seeing 125+ wpc AVR. the speakers are rated at 170 watts so there is only about 1.3 dB headroom for expansion, which does not make an amplifier upgrade look like a substantial improvement.

The rest of your system seem strong. The areas I would consider first are:

(1) Have you optimized your system using Audyssey?
(2) What are your speaker size settings?
(3) What about room acoustics?
post #3 of 3 Old 02-14-2013, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the reply arnyk! I have used the audussey but I seem to be missing something. Movies sound amazing but when it comes to music, the bass seems to be lacking a bit. I know there is a difference between reference and preference. For my speaker setup I have everything listed as small, 80HZ crossovers (even though Denon set them to large and set crossovers at 60 fronts, 40 center, and 90 surround). I also bi-amped the fronts. The room isn't ideal as it has cathedral ceilings and wood floors but I do have furniture to help the room out a bit. I was considering adjusting my pure direct (2CH settings) on the Denon and setting my fronts to large and the bass to LFE + Main to help out a bit. Here is a diagram of my setup.
LEAD Technologies Inc. V1.01
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page