pioneer vsx1122k external amp - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 02-14-2013, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have read alot of threads that say an external amp cannot be connected to this receiver as it doesn't have any preouts, i was curious if anyone tried using a line level converter with any success. The reason I'm asking is I had my reciever about a week before blowing out the main board and display board, as well as having overheating issues, and was curious if using this converter to go to an external amp to operate the 2 or 3 rear speakers would effectively reduce the load on the reciever, or wouldn't it work at all? I'm trying to run 6 klipsch kb15 bookshelf and 2 klipsch sw350 powered subs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 02-14-2013, 10:51 AM

Liked: 11
My main question would be, what caused these issues within the first week of use..? Was it not ventilated properly? Do you not have a warranty, or does the warranty not cover the damage that occurred?

If the avr cannot be repaired under warranty, i would want to find out what caused the problem, before trying to push the avr farther. it sounds like a heat issue to me and unless you fix the problem, more are likely to occur.
post #3 of 13 Old 02-14-2013, 01:36 PM

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDEaston View Post

My main question would be, what caused these issues within the first week of use..? Was it not ventilated properly? Do you not have a warranty, or does the warranty not cover the damage that occurred?

If the avr cannot be repaired under warranty, i would want to find out what caused the problem, before trying to push the avr farther. it sounds like a heat issue to me and unless you fix the problem, more are likely to occur.

This. The Klipsch is fairly sensitive, so you're doing something very wrong.
post #4 of 13 Old 02-14-2013, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for your response.Yes, it is being repaired under warranty, it's been there for seven weeks so far and they still don't have the part yet, I don't know what caused the issue in the beginning it was very well ventilated, however, still ran extremely hot. I suspect the unit can't handle 6 speakers at higher volume levels for any length of time which is why I am looking for another solution, I haven't done anything yet as I'm still waiting for the return of the receiver, I was just curious if something like this would work as I have very limited experience with it, and would like to avoid another lengthy repair.
post #5 of 13 Old 02-14-2013, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryWA View Post

This. The Klipsch is fairly sensitive, so you're doing something very wrong.

How does the sensitivity of the klipsch relate to the problem, I have very little experience. Does it have to do with the load on the receiver (the heat issue), or the line converter that I'm asking about?
post #6 of 13 Old 02-14-2013, 03:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 253
Once your receiver is working properly, you should have no problem at all running those speakers.

The sensitivity of the KB15 is 94 db per watt at 1 meter, so you can get very high sound levels with only 10 or 20 watts from each amplifier channel:

104 DBA at 10 watts

107 DBA at 20 watts

110 DBA at 40 watts

You can't even stay in the room at those levels without earplugs...lol.
post #7 of 13 Old 02-14-2013, 03:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 747 Post(s)
Liked: 1161
Quote:
Originally Posted by avrnoobie View Post

I have read alot of threads that say an external amp cannot be connected to this receiver as it doesn't have any preouts, i was curious if anyone tried using a line level converter with any success. The reason I'm asking is I had my reciever about a week before blowing out the main board and display board, as well as having overheating issues, and was curious if using this converter to go to an external amp to operate the 2 or 3 rear speakers would effectively reduce the load on the reciever, or wouldn't it work at all? I'm trying to run 6 klipsch kb15 bookshelf and 2 klipsch sw350 powered subs.

The speakers you were using have above average efficiency which reduces the stress on your AVR.

There's no reason other than a defective AVR that can explain your experience, unless your cabinet lacks adequate ventilation.

Trying to apply random fixes to your system makes no sense if the receiver you were using was defective.

If the AVR starts overheating again at reasonable volume levels its still broken.
post #8 of 13 Old 02-14-2013, 05:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

The speakers you were using have above average efficiency which reduces the stress on your AVR.

There's no reason other than a defective AVR that can explain your experience, unless your cabinet lacks adequate ventilation.

Trying to apply random fixes to your system makes no sense if the receiver you were using was defective.

If the AVR starts overheating again at reasonable volume levels its still broken.

thank you for the reply, are you familiar with the 1122 k, you say "reasonable volume levels" I was running it at 0.00, which max is +12, just curious what you consider reasonable levels.
post #9 of 13 Old 02-14-2013, 05:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post

Once your receiver is working properly, you should have no problem at all running those speakers.

The sensitivity of the KB15 is 94 db per watt at 1 meter, so you can get very high sound levels with only 10 or 20 watts from each amplifier channel:

104 DBA at 10 watts

107 DBA at 20 watts

110 DBA at 40 watts

You can't even stay in the room at those levels without earplugs...lol.

thank you for the reply, I don't know how the info you provided relates to the volume level shown on the LCD screen of the receiver, but, the volume level was at 0.00 when it happened. As I said I'm a noob, but as I understand it the volume level on this receiver increases greatly with small adjustments in the higher range of the level shown on the LCD screen.
post #10 of 13 Old 02-14-2013, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avrnoobie View Post

thank you for the reply, I don't know how the info you provided relates to the volume level shown on the LCD screen of the receiver, but, the volume level was at 0.00 when it happened. As I said I'm a noob, but as I understand it the volume level on this receiver increases greatly with small adjustments in the higher range of the level shown on the LCD screen.

If it was calibrated correctly, you were at reference level.. How long did you run it at that level for?
post #11 of 13 Old 02-14-2013, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

If it was calibrated correctly, you were at reference level.. How long did you run it at that level for?

probably about 10 to 15 minutes.
post #12 of 13 Old 02-14-2013, 06:11 PM

Reference level is loud as ****. How did you manage to stay in the room?
post #13 of 13 Old 02-14-2013, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Reference level is loud as ****. How did you manage to stay in the room?

was having a party. smile.gif, and I'm used to loud music. I would actually like to have at least the option to go louder, but, I can't afford it. no one complained that it was too loud. Perhaps there was more wrong with unit than I know?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Pioneer Vsx 1122 K

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page