7.1 setup problem - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 02-14-2013, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I currently have a 7.1 setup with the front 3 in good positions. But the two surrounds are slightly in front of the listening position. The two back surrounds are behind but to the sides of the listening position.

Watching 7.1 movies, the surround enveloping effects are fine. Watching 5.1 movies, the two back surrounds are not used and I don't think I'm getting good enveloping effects because the two surrounds are slightly in front.

I tested it out that if I use the two back surrounds as side surrounds for 5.1, I am getting better enveloping effects. However, that involves unplugging and replugging wires when changing back to 7.1 movies. Is there a way to get the receiver to do this for you? That when switching to 5.1 source, the receiver will switch up the side and back surround channels? I'm using the Denon 2808 receiver. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-14-2013, 06:06 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1867 Post(s)
Liked: 1724
Just disconnect the speakers forward of the couch and use the current "rear" surrounds in the SURR speaker posts as a 5.1 setup. If you upgrade to a newer model that supports Audyssey DSX (Front Wides), then you could reconnect the speakers forward of the couch as the Front Wide speakers.

CalgaryJames likes this.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST (including weekends)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #3 of 4 Old 02-14-2013, 10:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1399 Post(s)
Liked: 1009
Your Denon 2808 has a surround mode called Dolby Pro Logic IIx. When listening to 5.1 material, PLIIx can split the 2 surround channels into two parts: sounds that should image along your sides and sounds that should image behind you, which it will steer to the speakers at your sides and the speakers behind you (respectively).

So, all 4 surround speakers will always be active, even when there are only 2 surround channels are in the source. Using all 4 speakers (sides and rears) will give you greater wrap-around envelopment and better rear-vs-side directionality in the surround field than using only 2 surrounds at a time (sides or rears).
CalgaryJames likes this.

Sanjay
post #4 of 4 Old 02-16-2013, 04:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post

Your Denon 2808 has a surround mode called Dolby Pro Logic IIx. When listening to 5.1 material, PLIIx can split the 2 surround channels into two parts: sounds that should image along your sides and sounds that should image behind you, which it will steer to the speakers at your sides and the speakers behind you (respectively).

Thanks and switching on PLIIx does the trick. Also I use the cinema EQ and the sound stage is more seamless than before.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page