Help deciding on a new receiver - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 02-14-2013, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm looking for a receiver to replace my JVC HTIB system that I've had for about 8 years.

Here are some of my major points I'm looking for: I'm trying to stay in the $350-$400 range, though a little more or (obviously) less isn't out of the question.

The number of HDMI ports probably isn't a huge deal, I only use 2 right now (PS3 and home theater PC), so probably just about any recent receiver would cover me, though room for expansion doesn't hurt.

It needs 3D pass through ability, although again it seems like most decent recent receivers have this, so probably won't be a big deal either.

I would prefer a 7.x system, although I probably won't do all 7 right now, I would like room for future expansion. If there is a really good 5.x receiver I would consider it.

It's not a deal breaker, but I would like a system that has a smartphone control app if at all possible.

I realize that's not a ton to go on, but I do have a few I've narrowed down to, although if there is a suggestion that isn't in this group, I'm game.

I'm looking pretty hard at either an Onkyo or Denon. I really like the Onkyo TX-NR609, which I can actually get below my price range, refurbished. There is also the step-up 709, which has some extra features I really like, but also comes in at a little more than $100 more than the 609 shipped, and a little above my $400 max, though not much.

In Denon I like the AVR-1912 or the newer version the AVR-1913. Price for refurbished versions aren't too different, and both fall right in the price range I set out.

Any input or help is appreciated, thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-14-2013, 04:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 257
I suggest that you look at the Onkyo TX-NR616, which is a new model and has many features that the 609 and similar discontinued models do not have.

Amazon and others are selling it for around $360 or so.

If you look at it on Amazon and scroll all the way down, they have a lot of information there on the smartphone use features and internet streaming etc.
post #3 of 8 Old 02-14-2013, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post

I suggest that you look at the Onkyo TX-NR616, which is a new model and has many features that the 609 and similar discontinued models do not have.

Amazon and others are selling it for around $360 or so.

If you look at it on Amazon and scroll all the way down, they have a lot of information there on the smartphone use features and internet streaming etc.

I actually have looked at the TX-NR616 pretty hard and nearly pulled the trigger on it a few times. I like pretty much everything about it, including the fact I can get it in my price range new on Amazon with Prime shipping. The main thing that has stopped me is I'm gun shy with all the reliability complaints that I see. I see it actually has a pretty good overall rating, and it gets pretty good reviews. I'm having a hard time deciding, because of the complaints, though I understand it could just be a vocal minority.
post #4 of 8 Old 02-14-2013, 04:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 257
There are lots of reliability complaints about any brand you can name.

I have never seen any reliability statistics from any objective source (such as Consumer Reports) that indicates Onkyo is any better or worse than the rest.
post #5 of 8 Old 02-14-2013, 05:20 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post

There are lots of reliability complaints about any brand you can name.

I have never seen any reliability statistics from any objective source (such as Consumer Reports) that indicates Onkyo is any better or worse than the rest.

While I agree that every manufacturer produces a lemon here and there. Onkyo seems to be producing bushels of them. Where there is smoke there is fire. Meaning there are legitimate reasons as to why people are skeptical about buying onkyo recently.

Any time a manufacturer releases mass recalls, extends warranties due to large numbers of failures just outside the warranty period, and people receive replacements that are dead on arrival I would say there are real issues. Not just a vocal group of dissatisfied customers.
post #6 of 8 Old 02-14-2013, 05:56 PM

Location: Western Michigan ~ Grand Haven, Grand Rapids, Holland, Rockford
I too am currently shopping, but for a new home theater room in a higher price range. However, your $$ range is fresh because my current AV is a Pioneer VSX-1020 and I'm really happy with it. Lots of bells and features. If you are able to find one of these still new, highly recommend it. However, the 1022 or similar is a great option.

I am not married to Pioneer, but it replaced a previous Pioneer that was destroyed by lightning (amongst other things), and before that a mid-range Sony. At the higher price range ~$1500 i'm looking at Anthem MX500 or 700. I said this to say I am highly tempted to save $$ and use a similar Pioneer VSX-10xx in my new room - that's how much I was impressed with my VSX-1020.
post #7 of 8 Old 02-14-2013, 06:20 PM

Liked: 12
I just got the 1122-K and love it so far. It has been flawless. The firmware update. The set up, even without using the NAVI set up option, calibration. I haven't even got into using the Apps. Beware you need a Bluetooth adapter $100, and a network adapter. I ordered a generic wireless network adapter for $35. We will see if it works. There is no generic for the $100 Bluetooth adapter.
post #8 of 8 Old 02-14-2013, 06:42 PM

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by oranjepants View Post

I too am currently shopping, but for a new home theater room in a higher price range. However, your $$ range is fresh because my current AV is a Pioneer VSX-1020 and I'm really happy with it. Lots of bells and features. If you are able to find one of these still new, highly recommend it. However, the 1022 or similar is a great option.

I am not married to Pioneer, but it replaced a previous Pioneer that was destroyed by lightning (amongst other things), and before that a mid-range Sony. At the higher price range ~$1500 i'm looking at Anthem MX500 or 700. I said this to say I am highly tempted to save $$ and use a similar Pioneer VSX-10xx in my new room - that's how much I was impressed with my VSX-1020.

If you were impressed with the 1020, you would be even more impressed with a 1021 or 1122 or higher since the xx20's were severely underpowered.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page