speaker rating and amp output questions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 02-14-2013, 04:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have an onkyo 705 receiver and it's hooked to a paradigm cc-350 center, paradigm mini monitors for fronts, and a pair of paradigm titans for the surrounds. The speakers are 8 ohm but on the receiver I can only set it to 4 ohm or 6 ohm.
Another thing is the mini monitors say 80 watt max and the titans say 60 watt max and I believe the receiver is 100 watts per channel. I know you can have pretty much any speaker and receiver together no matter the watts if you don't crank the volume but I listen to my music rather loud and I worry about blowing my speakers or clipping my amp. Also when I switch from 2ch stereo to all ch stereo my sub output doubles, I've checked the settings and nothing has changed.
I know it's allot of questions but I appreciate all the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 02-14-2013, 05:02 PM

Liked: 42
I have an Onkyo Paradigm combo myself and might be able to shed a little light. Firstly, you can set the receiver on the 6 ohm setting which is for 6 and up ohm speakers. You are right in assuming the speaker rating isn't a hard rule. You will be fine as long as you don't make the receiver distort(clipping) which can damage speakers. Those little speakers can only go so loud, you actually sound like a candidate for an amplifier, since your 705 has amp connections (pre-outs) but that's another topic.

As for the sub, with 2 channel mode are you in pure mode or stereo mode? Pure mode has no output to the sub, just the 2 speakers. Or perhaps you have your speakers set to large instead of small?
post #3 of 15 Old 02-14-2013, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by runnin' View Post

I have an Onkyo Paradigm combo myself and might be able to shed a little light. Firstly, you can set the receiver on the 6 ohm setting which is for 6 and up ohm speakers. You are right in assuming the speaker rating isn't a hard rule. You will be fine as long as you don't make the receiver distort(clipping) which can damage speakers. Those little speakers can only go so loud, you actually sound like a candidate for an amplifier, since your 705 has amp connections (pre-outs) but that's another topic.

As for the sub, with 2 channel mode are you in pure mode or stereo mode? Pure mode has no output to the sub, just the 2 speakers. Or perhaps you have your speakers set to large instead of small?

Thanks for the reply. I had the speakers all set to 80hz but I was scared they were going to blow. So I have then set at 100hz. There is no small or large setting on this receiver so I thought 100hz would do. As for the sub situation I was listening in 2ch stereo not pure mode, and I switched back and forth to all ch then back to 2ch and with all channel it was twice as loud. I double checked everything in the set up menu and still couldn't fix it, not a big problem though I guess.
post #4 of 15 Old 02-14-2013, 05:43 PM - Thread Starter

Oh another question when listening to music on my laptop through my system via hdmi cable what should I have the source volume at?
post #5 of 15 Old 02-14-2013, 05:44 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked: 1598
The 705 features Audyssey MultEQ XT. Run it and let the Onkyo determine the best crossover for your speakers.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 
Daily 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer Elite, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #6 of 15 Old 02-14-2013, 05:51 PM - Thread Starter

I got it used for $40 the guy didn't give me a mic for it.
post #7 of 15 Old 02-14-2013, 05:59 PM
585-645-1006

You can buy an ACM-1H mic on ebay for about $25 or get one from Onkyo.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer Elite, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
post #8 of 15 Old 02-14-2013, 06:27 PM

Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunxbox View Post

Oh another question when listening to music on my laptop through my system via hdmi cable what should I have the source volume at?

Usually it's best to set the volume at full in source components and use the Onkyo volume for your listening level. And you got a pretty good deal on the 705!
post #9 of 15 Old 02-14-2013, 06:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by runnin' View Post

Usually it's best to set the volume at full in source components and use the Onkyo volume for your listening level. And you got a pretty good deal on the 705!

Okay thanks for the advise. Yeah it was a good deal, the guy that sold it thought it was broken (he had the sub plugged into the input not the pre out). I told him that but he already bought another receiver.
post #10 of 15 Old 02-14-2013, 06:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

You can buy an ACM-1H mic on ebay for about $25 or get one from Onkyo.

Alright thanks and do I need a stand for it? Like a tripod?
post #11 of 15 Old 02-14-2013, 07:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
It makes sense to have more sub in all ch stereo when everything is louder. In addition if it's not calibrated by Audyssey any room response peaks already present are amplified.

When the speaker is rated at -2dB 65Hz setting XO at 80Hz won't blow it: it is capable of outputting 80Hz. It's not a sharp brickwall cut-off in any case but rather a slope.

Setting the XO to FULL BAND (manual p.77) is the same as setting it large so try setting the surrounds to that or 80Hz rather than 100Hz, or if you're afraid to do that, then set the sub trim or manually turn the sub volume down as an interim measure while waiting for the mic.

Audiosceptics accept audio trials using 25 people. A recent Oxford study with over 353,000 patient records from 639 separate clinical trials shows for every 1,000 people taking diclofenac or ibuprofen there would be 3 additional heart attacks, 4 more cases of heart failure and 1 death every year.

post #12 of 15 Old 02-14-2013, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilian.ca View Post

It makes sense to have more sub in all ch stereo when everything is louder. In addition if it's not calibrated by Audyssey any room response peaks already present are amplified.

When the speaker is rated at -2dB 65Hz setting XO at 80Hz won't blow it: it is capable of outputting 80Hz. It's not a sharp brickwall cut-off in any case but rather a slope.

Setting the XO to FULL BAND (manual p.77) is the same as setting it large so try setting the surrounds to that or 80Hz rather than 100Hz, or if you're afraid to do that, then set the sub trim or manually turn the sub volume down as an interim measure while waiting for the mic.

Thanks I'll give that a try. Quick question about clipping. If I have the volume too high it will be an audible "clipping" sound right? And if I hear that back off the volume?
post #13 of 15 Old 02-15-2013, 02:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
I've not actually heard it in my speakers (thankfully) but as I understand it's some sort of cracking sound. Before that there might be less drastic distortions that don't sound nice or right. Hopefully you back off then.

If worried it'd be better to keep the volume reasonable before the mic arrives for calibration.

Audiosceptics accept audio trials using 25 people. A recent Oxford study with over 353,000 patient records from 639 separate clinical trials shows for every 1,000 people taking diclofenac or ibuprofen there would be 3 additional heart attacks, 4 more cases of heart failure and 1 death every year.

post #14 of 15 Old 02-15-2013, 02:57 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunxbox View Post

Alright thanks and do I need a stand for it? Like a tripod?

Yes, either a tripod or a mic boom stand. Refer to the mic related information in the Audyssey 101/FAQ linked in my sig for a recommendation for both.

post #15 of 15 Old 02-16-2013, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you everybody for all the help. I appreciate it allot.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page