Receiver causing DirecTV DVR to run hot? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 02-15-2013, 08:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
First - I love love love this receiver. After doing much research to find a unit that would do what I needed the VSX-1022-k fits the bill perfectly. I needed:
- at least 5.1 surround
- B speakers that I could run independently or together with the A set for my outside deck. (this is what disqualified most other units in my price range)
- 3D video
- Standby pass through for the TV (I was willing to bend on this one but it works - so bonus!)

Now the possible issue and it may be a co-incidence. The first night I had the unit I watched an evening of surround sound TV. The sound level in my room was around the 41 level (which still seems really high to me as my room is only 12 x 12 and that volume level is over 1/2 of total). After turning everything off for the night I realized the DirecTV DVR fan was running at high speed which I have never heard before. I'll have to see if it happens again this weekend. And just now I woke up having nothing turned on and the receiver in pass through mode to the DVR box - which is also in standby mode and not recording anything - and suddenly I hear the DVR fan ramp up again for a couple minutes before going back to normal. Of course it is possible DirecTV is sending some sort of update to the unit.

Just curious if anyone else has this issue.

Just a note - I got this unit at hhgregg and they were out of stock and said the unit was now discontinued (?????) I bought the floor model because it was the only one left. I usually don't buy floor models but I got an extra discount so the price was right.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-15-2013, 04:58 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked: 1374
The DTV issue is more likely related to the DTV and not the AVR. Note also that modern AVRs generally average about 50-70% of max volume for average listening levels. Also the 1022 was released last year and as with most all brands is discontinued when the next year's line is released.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #3 of 5 Old 02-15-2013, 07:24 PM

Liked: 19
DVR's usually run pretty hot. At least the last 3 I've had ran pretty hot, that's why there's usually a fan and vent holes.
post #4 of 5 Old 02-15-2013, 09:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 75
I've used several Pioneer receivers with several D* DVRs. I can't think of a way the receiver could make the DVR run hot. When you have a D* DVR turned off, it can still be doing a lot of work. Aside from making recordings you have scheduled, D* maintains it's own part of the disk drive in your DVR and can download movies, hoping to get you to pay to watch them later, so you could be detecting some of this activity.

Greg Lee
post #5 of 5 Old 02-16-2013, 07:15 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Thanks for the comments everyone. I used the unit a lot last evening and the it performed well and the DVR did not overheat. While making a wiring change I did not notice that I forgot to unplug the optical cable I was previously using from the DVR so it was being used but not terminated. I did remove that now. I'm still loving this receiver! It is a really great unit for the price.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page