Sony STR-DH710 - Low hum from sub during standby. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 02-15-2013, 08:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just bought a 200w Pioneer sub last night. I was happy to finally finish my 7.1 system after all these years. Everything seemed to be well. After making some adjustments, I was able to get everything setup and optimized to my liking (still need to make some tweeks).

Topic:
When I turn the receiver off (standby) it seems to continually send a low-frequency sound to the sub which, in turn, prevents the sub from initiating its own (auto) standby mode. As it stands, the sub's location makes it easy to reach the standby switch but the low-frequency sound is off-center. The ideal location (once I purchase a long enough cord) will be tucked away and the switch will not be easy to reach, therefore making the auto-standby option for the sub required.

I've read the manual (pdf), but being at work I can't test the settings. So far what I will try after work are:
  • Setting the speaker sizes to small
    • I kind of doubt this would have any effect on the issue, but it's in my tweaking itinerary.
  • Turning off LPF
    • The sub has a crossover frequency LPF. I was scrolling through the options this morning to try out different settings. I'm not sure if I tried this adjustment, but I know it was last left set to "on".

Question:
Are there any other preempt suggestions I could try if the list above fails?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 02-16-2013, 06:17 AM - Thread Starter

I tried multiple options with no luck. Does anyone know how to stop the low hum signal from the receiver?
post #3 of 19 Old 02-16-2013, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by avsThis View Post

I tried multiple options with no luck. Does anyone know how to stop the low hum signal from the receiver?

Is everything plugged into the same circuit, back to the circuit breaker box, or some things going to one breaker and some going to another?

Espo77
post #4 of 19 Old 02-18-2013, 06:29 AM - Thread Starter

No. The sub is plugged into a separate strip from everything else. I thought it could be from interference; but when I'm on my PC, which is hooked-up to my system, the sub tends to go into standby due to lack of bass and/or sound. The low hum only happens when the receiver is powered off (standby). I'm not sure on how to set it to power off completely.
post #5 of 19 Old 02-19-2013, 05:59 AM - Thread Starter

Still nothing... Tried to adjust the receiver's Auto-standby with no change...

Feels SOL...
post #6 of 19 Old 02-19-2013, 06:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Hi avsThis, try removing the cable box from the system if one is connected to receiver.
post #7 of 19 Old 02-19-2013, 08:12 AM - Thread Starter

No cable box.

My setup:
Cable (from wall) > TV > receiver
PS3 > receiver > TV
PS2 > receiver > TV
360 > receiver > TV
Wii > receiver > TV
PC > TV & receiver

It happens only when I power-down despite what mode I'm in; and everything is off or on standby. I'm starting to think it's one of those artifacts that develops with cross-brand configuration. Which sucks because, I'm not too keen on Sony's subs...

Edit:
Nevermind, I guess I am SOL. I was looking through some docs on Sony eSupport, and one of the steps is: "6. If your subwoofer has a standby function, turn it off ." Sigh...

src=http://www.kb.sony.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&externalId=C205038&fes=true&mdl=STRDH710
post #8 of 19 Old 02-19-2013, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:

No cable box.

My setup:
Cable (from wall) > TV > receiver

Try to unplug the cable from wall.

Cheers, Feri

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 19 Old 02-19-2013, 08:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogorf View Post

Try to unplug the cable from wall.

I don't see the relevance, but I'll give it a try after work...
post #10 of 19 Old 02-19-2013, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I don't see the relevance, but I'll give it a try after work...

You may read about relevance in the Hum FAQ.

Cheers, Feri

post #11 of 19 Old 02-19-2013, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No. The sub is plugged into a separate strip from everything else. I thought it could be from interference; but when I'm on my PC, which is hooked-up to my system, the sub tends to go into standby due to lack of bass and/or sound. The low hum only happens when the receiver is powered off (standby). I'm not sure on how to set it to power off completely.

Did you try plugging everything into the same circuit breaker?

Espo77
post #12 of 19 Old 02-19-2013, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm using one of these remote controlled power sockets to turn on/off my sub with great results.smile.gif

Cheers, Feri

post #13 of 19 Old 02-19-2013, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogorf View Post

I'm using one of these remote controlled power sockets to turn on/off my sub with great results.smile.gif

"great results" you're not getting great results. That power socket puts out RF. I would not hook up totally unnecessary pieces of equipment. What happens when you discard the "power socket"?

Did you try hooking all equipment up to the same circuit?

What country are you in...voltage??

Espo77
post #14 of 19 Old 02-19-2013, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espo77 View Post

"great results" you're not getting great results. That power socket puts out RF. I would not hook up totally unnecessary pieces of equipment. What happens when you discard the "power socket"?

^^^ Sorry, I thought I was responding to the OP.

OP, did you try everything on the same circuit yet?

Espo77
post #15 of 19 Old 02-19-2013, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espo77 View Post

Hi Espo77, yeah, not the OP, but worry not, the RF output of that "equipment" is in the 400 Megahertz band, no interference experienced on my side whatsoever, so it can be used freely and with "great results". BTW, isn't RF all around us all the time? TV, radio, cellphone frequencies, etc. are a part of our lives, aren't they? smile.gif

Should the OP have a ground loop issue in his household, hooking up all equipment to the same circuit won't help, coz that does not solve the problem of having more than one "ground". Typical case is the potential difference between power company ground and cable TV company ground. That's why I suggested the OP to up-plug the incoming TV coax cable and see if the hum goes away or not. Let's see what he has to say. Agree? smile.gif

Cheers, Feri

post #16 of 19 Old 02-20-2013, 03:50 PM - Thread Starter

Well... Still no luck... I've unplugged all my devices and still have the hum. I plugged the AC to the same strip with no luck. I figured my Marshall was interfering, so I re-routed the audio cord which helped reduce the hum; although quieter, it still exists. I I think I need a heavier insulated audio cord. While plugging and unplugging (I wish I could plug something else); I disconnected the audio cord from the receiver, the hum still existed.

I'm too sick to mess with it anymore... I'll try replacing the audio cord later.

Thanks for the suggestions.
post #17 of 19 Old 02-22-2013, 07:30 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I believe I read some where on my 830. if you use AFD setting it turns off the sub but
sends a 60Hz signal that can not be shut off unless you manually shut the sub down..

my
post #18 of 19 Old 02-22-2013, 07:38 AM

I have the same issue with a harmon kardon sub. It is plugged into a different circuit. I figured the problem was because I am using a plain old speaker wire that was pre run when we moved into the house. I kind of assumed it was the unshielded speaker wire(ie. long antenna) causing the hum. Sounds like you are using a shielded sub cable though. So maybe my issue is the different breakers as well.
post #19 of 19 Old 02-23-2013, 08:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaamon View Post

I believe I read some where on my 830. if you use AFD setting it turns off the sub but
sends a 60Hz signal that can not be shut off unless you manually shut the sub down..

I don't use AFD. I usually have it set to the PLIIX emulation...
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page