I need a new AV receiver with support for multiple zones. See below.
Here in Europe/Denmark where I live, using zones is very rarely used. I hope You guys here can help me to see if/how my ambitions can be met.
I have for about 10 years been very happy with my incredibly musical and excellent Arcam AVR 200, but in recent years I find that I tend mostly to use the living room for TV / film, and almost never for critical music listening anymore . Since the AVR-200 because of his age has several limitations compared to what I want to accomplish, it will be retired and move into the home office, where it can enjoy a well-deserved retirement.
So - I need a new AV receiver in the living room to enable to get an updated and much better film and TV experience with the use of new digital audio formats and better procesing.
In addition, I also like to use a new AVR to control the sound in the kitchen / family room, which is in open connection with the living room, which thus 'share audio' with each other. The room setup is as shown in the accompanying drawing & photos. Living room 47m2 connected to an open plan kitchen / dining area of 26m2.
One of my main objectives is to get sound from the TV in the kitchen / family room through speakers that are powered by the surround reciever
My current setup is like this:
- Arcam AVR-200,
- 60 "Sharp LE636S,
- Oppo DVD
- XBMC (Shuttle XH61V HDMI + Optical out)
- PCH A-100.
- Vienna Acoustics Mozart L / R
- Vienna Acoustics Maestro Center,
- KEF Q15.2 Rear L / R.
- Sub: Custom built 15 "22 Hz tuned driven by Behringer iNuke NU3000DSP + Anti-Mode 8033,
Logitech Harmony 900 remote.
- 32 "LG TV with optical out
- RaspPi XBMC.
In an ideal world, I would like to have the following options in approximate order of priority:
- Radio independently or in sync in the living room / kitchen
- TV sound from the kitchen TV played through the speakers in the kitchen
- Use the digital sources in the living room on the Kitchen TV (i.e. cable box, XBMC) separately or in sync with Z1
- Ability to use the iPhone / iPad to turn on the AVR, select the source, FM channel, volume control, etc.
- Perhaps a speaker in the bathroom (Z3) too (primarily for radio). It's completely acceptable if it is dependent/a 'mirror' of the kitchen / dining area
- Everyone in the family have iPhones, and we have an iPad (We do not use iTunes though - MediaMonkey is our solution)
Cabling distance between AVR and Kitchen TV approx.12m.
My budget on the AVR is in the range of Pioneer SC-LX56/Yamaha RX-A2020/Denon AVR-3313, but if there are compelling reasons to move up one level, it is possible.
I tend not to like too sharp treble, but rather a more musical / organic sound signature,. My taste for analytical accurateness has been replices by a slight preference for low end oomph...My questions to You knowledable lot:
For my amitions above, I'm wondering what recievers will best meet my needs.
Is it possible to draw an optical cable the 12 meters from the kitchen TV to the AVR to the sound through the speakers in the kitchen?
What are the the issues and pitfalls?
Can I pull a HDMI for the same distance to get access to the digital A / V sources from the living room to the kitchen?
Recievers I have considered are initially Pioneer SC-LX56/Yamaha RX-A2020/Denon AVR-3313, but I'm not sure to what degree they can live up to my ambition.
Hoping for some input and inspiration for my project here
My ideas so far:
Photo of living room and edge of kitchen: