Pioneer VSX-1122 vs Pioneer SC-1222 - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Which choice is best in this matter?
The VSX-1122 is more than enough receiver and would suit my needs well. 0 0%
The SC-1222 would be worth the extra money and be a better choice 2 66.67%
With your budget (over $1000), you would be better served by the Pioneer Elite SC-65 1 33.33%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 02-16-2013, 11:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hi everyone, I am new here but I was wondering if the Pioneer SC-1222 is worth the extra money over the Pioneer VSX-1122? I think the VSX-1122 is more powerful (total wattage) but from my understanding the D3 amps of the Pioneer SC series are better and louder at lower volumes. I have also heard that some do not like the sound quality of the D3 amps, so that is definitely a concern of mine.

If anyone could help me with this I would greatly appreciate it. I will be buying in about 10 days or so.

I am looking for good sound quality, video up-scaling, and a decent feature set. I have narrowed my choices down to Pioneer only because they are my favorite receivers and I love their sound quality.

I can also double my budget and then some for the Pioneer Elite SC-65 but I am just wondering if there would be an appreciable leap in sound quality and audio performance, are the bells and whistles of the SC-65 worth the leap in cost? I can get the SC-1122 for $379, the SC-1222 for $579, and the Elite SC-65 for $1050.00.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-16-2013, 11:51 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Features? It's hard when you are willing to spend from 300 to to 1000+.
post #3 of 7 Old 02-17-2013, 12:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tential View Post

Features? It's hard when you are willing to spend from 300 to to 1000+.
What I am basically asking is if the D3 amps found in the higher end Pioneers worth it over the 1122? I have heard mixed things about the D3 amps (mostly positive) but the SC-65 has features I would really like. Anyone have experience with the D3 amps want to chime in?

I know all of this is subjective but I am having a tough time deciding if I want to really spend $1000 on a receiver. Yet the Elite SC-65 sounds like the receiver I have been looking for, with the power and features. In fact it seems to be the perfect receiver to me at this point.

I will give a little more information... I might add amps later; I know you can use external amps with the SC-1222 but Pioneer did not add 12V triggers to it. The SC-61 (Elite version of 1122 with 12v triggers) and 63 are nice but I think the SC-65 is worth the slight difference in price. I want a receiver which is more future proof and I believe the Elites are better looking but more importantly are built better and have better warranties. 12V triggers are nice, shutting off the amps remotely as well as not having to worry about shutting them off when not in use.

The only thing that attracts me to the VSX-1122 is the fact is is so much cheaper. Yet in the long run, it will cost me more (I would be more inclined to upgrade to it sooner) and I may have buyers remorse which I do not want.
post #4 of 7 Old 02-17-2013, 12:28 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by RS143 View Post

What I am basically asking is if the D3 amps found in the higher end Pioneers worth it over the 1122? I have heard mixed things about the D3 amps (mostly positive) but the SC-65 has features I would really like. Anyone have experience with the D3 amps want to chime in?

I know all of this is subjective but I am having a tough time deciding if I want to really spend $1000 on a receiver. Yet the Elite SC-65 sounds like the receiver I have been looking for, with the power and features. In fact it seems to be the perfect receiver to me at this point.

I will give a little more information... I might add amps later; I know you can use external amps with the SC-1222 but Pioneer did not add 12V triggers to it. The SC-61 (Elite version of 1122 with 12v triggers) and 63 are nice but I think the SC-65 is worth the slight difference in price. I want a receiver which is more future proof and I believe the Elites are better looking but more importantly are built better and have better warranties. 12V triggers are nice, shutting off the amps remotely as well as not having to worry about shutting them off when not in use.

The only thing that attracts me to the VSX-1122 is the fact is is so much cheaper. Yet in the long run, it will cost me more (I would be more inclined to upgrade to it sooner) and I may have buyers remorse which I do not want.
I'm not the only person you'll wanna talk to, but I'd go with at least the sc.
What kind of speakers are you running? Maybe we can rule out the vsx.
post #5 of 7 Old 02-17-2013, 03:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I'll say it again, I have owned the VSX-1122 for nearly a year now and love it. However if I could have seen the SC-1222 coming I would like to think I would have waited.

Get the SC-1222 or the SC-65 and don't look back, because at those prices your getting a steal of a deal.

Just my 2¢ - take it or leave it for others

Halo ® 3 Beta Tester, Reach ® Beta Tester, COD ® 4 Beta Tester
XboxLive GT - hyghwayman
post #6 of 7 Old 02-17-2013, 04:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 52
The Pioneer SC-1522 is also worth considering. Almost the same as the Elite SC-65, a little cheaper on Amazon currently, not an Elite model and so can be bought online with Pioneer's warranty.
hyghwayman likes this.

Greg Lee
post #7 of 7 Old 02-17-2013, 05:31 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I just went through this same decision. I ended up buying the 1222 and have no regrets.

My old reciever is THX Ultra certified and the only thing the 1222 seems to give up to it is weight and heat smile.gif. I wanted to be able to drive 4Ohm speakers all around and I don't think any other receivers in the price range can comfortably drive all channels at high levels into low olm loads.

I am just getting used to my new reciever but initial impressions have been great!
Salem
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page