Subwoofer/amp issue... bad caps? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 02-17-2013, 05:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Elemental Designs A5-350 subwoofer/amp combo that recently started acting odd. It started out to where the audio was cutting in and out, and shortly after that it just completely died. The amp power light shows green (instead of red for standby), but the subwoofer produces absolutely no response. I swapped speakers and had the same experience, so I ruled out the subwoofer.

Of the two big caps on it, one looks like it might of been leaking at some point, and the other looks like maybe a slight amount of swelling on the top.

Here are a couple of pics:
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-PWSNvkQbrP0/UR_2MW8u7cI/AAAAAAAABxI/z-TYn8SLG5w/s975/50D4A6A8-30F0-420E-86D7-334668545F00.JPG
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-A2wQXwLyzYU/UR_4SCnI_6I/AAAAAAAAByw/gmGDLY-qrE4/s1300/2F1EED58-3B35-487D-BC5E-2CF318926C39.JPG

The right one was the one I thought might be swelling a bit.

How confident should I be that this is the problem? Could another problem caused the capacitor to leak, which would just mean even if I replaced the cap's the problem would just come back?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 02-17-2013, 01:54 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 25
all i can say is good luck with finding the 4700uf 120v low ESR caps for a reasonable price. that is one of the many reasons that i do not like to take LT550's in for repair, along with many other brands of older amps. i am going through the same obsolete parts issue with older Bash amps.
you can go with a higher voltage cap though. like say... 160v.
there may be other issues then just the caps.
one thing i noticed with some of the amps, is that they used some kind of brown glue to hold parts in place. pry/cut the plastic cover on top off and make sure that it is the capacitor that is leaking the electrolytic, and not just a sloppy glue job. but with the age of the amp, it would not surprise me if the caps are bad.
i do have used 4700uf 120v caps that test good if you cannot find any new replacements.
post #3 of 3 Old 02-17-2013, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks Dave. I just sent you a PM about this.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page