Seeking suggestions for a receiver with lots of inputs - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 02-17-2013, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've got a lot of video sources, thanks mostly to a collection of old video game consoles. Today, I need to switch inputs usually on both the TV and the receiver, to get a variety of different video+audio signals all flowing through the right way. Today I've got:

Analog sources:
Nintendo (composite + mono audio)
Super Nintendo (S-Video + stereo audio)
Nintendo 64 (S-Video + stereo audio)
Gamecube (S-Video + stereo audio)
Wii (Component + stereo audio)
Playstation (S-Video + stereo audio)
Playstation 2 (Component + stereo audio)
These all go through an A/V switcher, so I only *need* one of each (Composite + S-Video + Component) video input plus a matching audio input. That's really the best outputs I can get from those consoles, but it doesn't mean I don't want to use them. I'm happy with them as they show now, being upconverted or just played directly on my 60" DLP TV today. I know what it's going to look like.

Then I've got Playstation 3, Media Center computer, DVD player, TiVo over HDMI (plus rarely another transient device like laptop or tablet). So I really want a minimum of 4 HDMI inputs as well. So 3 analog + 4 HDMI means 7 inputs minimum.

Given all these specialized sources, I would prefer a "numbered" rather than named, or purely custom named, set of inputs. Ideally fully customizable and mixable; if I continue to use the A/V switcher, it produces different video outputs, but all through the same audio output.

My goal would be the receiver handles all the inputs, and does up-conversion to HDMI and then only that one cable runs to the TV. Today, I don't have S-Video input on the receiver, so I'm stuck with a TV that handles it; can't upgrade (or even replace; I dread the day my current TV fails) because barely any TVs offer that anymore. I'd also love if I could set an audio volume offset per source; especially the PS3 and the TiVo produce very different volume levels.

What I've been able to find myself so far is the Onkyo 709. The entire Onkyo line seems to have the "I know the names of your sources" bug I dislike; it prints them right on the front of the unit on all the buttons. I'd prefer to avoid that, but it's a minor issue.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 02-17-2013, 04:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Onkyo is one of the few that will offer svideo at all at the price point of the 709. I have the 708 and I find it very versatile, even for legacy devices.

Keep in mind that even though the buttons are labeled, the display name for each input is customizable.

Another option is a switch before the receiver, with a generic input name like "game".
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page