Volume difference: DVD vs sat receiver - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 02-17-2013, 02:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Morning, This is likely a question that I should be able to answer but I need to know if I can do any thing about it. I have a Dish Net DVR, 1913 Denon and Panasonic GT50 series tv, Sony Blu-Ray. Thing is, there is a considerable volume difference (lower) and the Dolby Digital sounds bland when listening to the sat box output. Is there anything I can do to get the volume level on the sat box equal to the Blu-Ray? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-17-2013, 05:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
You can adjust the individual input levels from the INPUT menu under SOURCE LEVEL. The range is ±12dB.

I'm unfamiliar with Denon's menu navigation, so search your manual for SOURCE LEVEL.

Two would seem to be two too many to me too.
Sarcasm is the sincerest form of flattery.
I bid you a fondue.
post #3 of 7 Old 02-19-2013, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks! It appears that theh 1913 only allows a global setting for all inputs. Soooo... by increasing the input level +db to much as in guitar pedals and amps there is the chance of distortion? That being said in order to reach the volume I am used to with my HK7000 I need to set the overall volume to about +5db. Is this a safe operating level for the 1913? Any thoughts?
post #4 of 7 Old 02-19-2013, 09:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjturbo View Post

Thanks! It appears that theh 1913 only allows a global setting for all inputs. Soooo... by increasing the input level +db to much as in guitar pedals and amps there is the chance of distortion? That being said in order to reach the volume I am used to with my HK7000 I need to set the overall volume to about +5db. Is this a safe operating level for the 1913? Any thoughts?

Yeah, I though you were interested in matching input levels. According to the 1913's user manual, its inputs are independently adjustable.
Here's an excerpt:

Source Level
• This function corrects the playback level of the selected input source’s audio input.
• Make this setting if there are differences in the input volume levels between the different sources.
Setting details
–12dB – +12dB (0dB)

You sort of switched tracks here. You now want your Denon to produce the same SPL as your HK.
Get your SPL meter and measure the SPL of the HK while it's playing at your normal level, then measure the Denon's SPL while adjusting its master volume until you reach the SPL you measured while listening to the HK. Make a note of the setting.
Dunno why you care. :shrug:

+5 master volume is quite high. But, is it safe? Zell, is it safe?
I dunno, but if the Denon shuts itself off, then turn it down and stay out of the + range.

Two would seem to be two too many to me too.
Sarcasm is the sincerest form of flattery.
I bid you a fondue.
post #5 of 7 Old 02-19-2013, 09:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjturbo View Post

I have a Denon 1613 and the inputs can be adjusted on an independent level. Your 1913 has the same feature.

First, select the input you want to adjust. (CBL/SAT, DVD, etc)

1. Press setup on the remote
2. Select Inputs
3. Select Source Level
4. You can adjust the source level from -12 to +12 for each input.

You may also be able to adjust the volume output on your Dish receiver. I've never used Dish though so I couldn't' tell you how or if that feature is available.

Afro GT
post #6 of 7 Old 02-20-2013, 06:33 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the additional info. Guess I need to be more thorough in my investigations!. Unfortunately the failure of my HK is the reason for the 1913. I will recheck the input levels on each source. Thanks again!!
post #7 of 7 Old 02-20-2013, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

I may be off base here or just not understanding but doesnt your sat box have audio settings?You can try there to check these settings. Digital/analog etc.I'm assuming this since your problem seems to be the audio coming from the DVR. Also depends on how the program is being broadcast 5.1 etc.If i understood this correctly.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page