New Home Theater System with some legacy components : advice needed - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 02-18-2013, 07:57 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've been out of the loop for a while, so I think I can use some advice.

I'm building a new home theater, and although I feel my speakers will work, my amp (JVC RX-7520V) needs an upgrade.

Here is what I have to work with:

Athena speakers (full towers, rears and center, Audition Series)

Mission 700AS subwoofer (good enough for now, except for the annoying popping sound it makes when it stops receiving a signal)

I will have an ethernet port at the receiver, and in wall wiring for all speakers.

I was looking at the Yamaha RX-473, but was wondering if stepping up to 7.1 (Rx-573?)is worthwhile on a new system (If so, what speakers I could pair with my Athenas for a seamless result, both visual and sound wise).

Also, the only thing that I did not like so much about the Yamahas is the fairly limited streaming options. I place sound quality/clean power above all, but if I could get a few more options without a sound compromise below 750ish, I'm all ears.

Marco

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-18-2013, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 78
I would certainly want the 7.1 system (it's only $48 more on Amazon), but then I am a person who likes lots of speakers. You wouldn't have to connect up the other 2 speakers unless and until you were ready to.

Greg Lee
post #3 of 4 Old 02-18-2013, 07:21 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It's not the cost difference on the receiver, I was really wondering if there is a big difference.

It's also more complex to setup, and I am worried about matching the other 2 speakers to my set.

But for future proofing I guess it's the way to go, unless there is a 5.1 value gem out there that I could not pass up.

post #4 of 4 Old 02-18-2013, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Matching rear surrounds is not that important. As for streaming, you can get it with other devices such as Blu-ray players, Roku boxes, and AppleTVs. Streaming features change pretty rapidly and it's likely whatever functionality you get in an AVR will be outdated long before you need to upgrade the receiver. I think power, connectivity, and room correction should be the drivers in deciding on an AVR.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page