Looking to replace my OLD Kenwood Receiver(KR-v8030) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 02-18-2013, 08:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys! New poster here :wave:

Anyway I just bought my first new TV in years(46" 120hz) and I love it so much I want to update my Home Theater system too. Right now I use a Kenwood KR-V8030 and I think its time to retire him to our bedroom set up and get a new Receiver with digital input/out-put.

I have been looking at new receiver's but cannot make heads or tails.

What I need is: $150-250 Budget(unless its a really nice deal for a little more). 4-5 HDMI ports, Optical Audio Input(assignable would be a +), Right now I use 2.0 speaker set up but would like the ability to move to a 5.1 or 7.1. A front mount 3.5mm audio input would be nice(for MP3 player's) a front mount HDMI port would be epic. I would really like to see 100w per channel but do not need any more than that.

I do not need networking fucntions or wifi. Same with upconversion.. I plan on getting a Blu-Ray Player that can upconvert DVD's(unless you guys recommend I use an AVR's upconversion. My TV has none)

I have been looking at some of the Onkyo reciver's such as the TX-NR515 but I am very worried with the overall quality of the unit. It has every feature I'm looking for and is on amazon for an affordable price but the negative review's scare me a little. Would this receiver be something I could confedntly own for decade's like my Kenwood?

Another one I was looking at is the Yamaha RX-V373 or maybe even the next model up but they just don't impress me at all when I read about them like the Onkyo NR515 did.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 02-18-2013, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 74
I had a similar Kenwood model, possibly an 8020?, but its remote kept breaking, and I finally replaced it with a Pioneer, which worked much better. I think any current model from any of the major brands will be an improvement for you. I am just in the process of going back to a Pioneer model after my Onkyo txnr-3008 broke. I think you're right to be cautious about Onkyo.

Greg Lee
post #3 of 17 Old 02-18-2013, 08:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregLee View Post

I had a similar Kenwood model, possibly an 8020?, but its remote kept breaking, and I finally replaced it with a Pioneer, which worked much better. I think any current model from any of the major brands will be an improvement for you. I am just in the process of going back to a Pioneer model after my Onkyo txnr-3008 broke. I think you're right to be cautious about Onkyo.

Yea, This kenwood was not the best model out there when it was new in box but it sure has served well for over 2 decades! If it had any kind of digital input/output I would keep it. Sounds great still smile.gif

Its a shame, The Onkyo's have some great options! I'll dig up some other models I was thinking about.. This is a much harder choice than I remeber it being years ago, lol.

Any suggestions on a decent Pioneer AVR?
post #4 of 17 Old 02-18-2013, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

I've ordered a Pioneer SC-1522-K receiver from Amazon, which should arrive later today. I've had 3 Pioneers previously and liked them all -- I'm still using a vsx-1020 in another room.

Greg Lee
post #5 of 17 Old 02-18-2013, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I've ordered a Pioneer SC-1522-K receiver from Amazon, which should arrive later today. I've had 3 Pioneers previously and liked them all -- I'm still using a vsx-1020 in another room.

Both the receiver's you mentioned are nice but are way beyond what I am able to afford. I'm looking at some of their cheaper models.

Is it worth it to spring for a Receiver that has the ability to up-convert video or should I get a blu ray player and let it up-convert? I couldn't for the life of me find a TV with a good picture and up-conversion in my budget.
post #6 of 17 Old 02-18-2013, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundOfKhaos View Post

Is it worth it to spring for a Receiver that has the ability to up-convert video or should I get a blu ray player and let it up-convert? I couldn't for the life of me find a TV with a good picture and up-conversion in my budget.
I never found any use for my AVR's ability to upconvert. Flat screen TVs can only display at one resolution, so, as far as I know, they can all upconvert. And my TV signal comes from a satellite receiver that can upconvert. If you mean upconversion to 4k, I'm sure a TV that can display 4k would be able to upconvert to it, as well.

Greg Lee
post #7 of 17 Old 02-18-2013, 05:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I never found any use for my AVR's ability to upconvert. Flat screen TVs can only display at one resolution, so, as far as I know, they can all upconvert. And my TV signal comes from a satellite receiver that can upconvert. If you mean upconversion to 4k, I'm sure a TV that can display 4k would be able to upconvert to it, as well.

Talking about upconversion of less than 1080p content to 1080i. Such as HD DVD/DVD's. I know most blu-ray player's offer this ability but with most technology some impement better than other's. I was only woundering how an A/V Receiver stacks up against the Blu-Ray player's. It may seem silly but I have a very extensive DVD collection that I still want to use.

I wish there were decent TV's with upconversion in my budget when I bought mine.
post #8 of 17 Old 02-18-2013, 06:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundOfKhaos View Post

Talking about upconversion of less than 1080p content to 1080i. Such as HD DVD/DVD's.
I would understand "upconversion" to mean the reverse: 1080i to 1080p. If you have a 1080p flatscreen HDTV, it can only display 1080p, and if you send it 480i (cable SD) or 480p (DVD SD), it has to upconvert that to 1080p to display that. A 1080i cable or broadcast HD signal also has to be upconverted to 1080p. I think 1080p consumer TVs can all do this upconversion (I could be mistaken about this, but my TV does), and 750p HDTVs upconvert to 750p (approximately) so you don't need a BD/DVD player or receiver to do this. You might want one to, though, if you think it will do it better than your TV will, to give you higher picture quality. I have compared the upconversion from 480i to 1080p that my TV does with that done by my satellite receiver, and I couldn't see a difference. And DVDs at 480p also look fine after the TV upconverts them to 1080p. I just don't think of this as an issue for picture quality.

Greg Lee
post #9 of 17 Old 02-18-2013, 08:17 PM

Liked: 11
considering your cash restraints my advice is that ebay is your best friend. Denon, Integra, Onkyo, NAD, and many others are in that price range via the used market. The reason why is so many people think they need to upgrade their audio equipment for Hdmi 1.4 (which is really only required for 3d support right now, unless of course you own a 4k TV set- see here ). Dont worry so much about wpc, concern yourself more with the audio quality over quanity of wpc. As well many HT receivers come with function's most people never use, consider this before droping down your cash. Good luck.

ATi 1805/Odyssey Stratos/NAD T785, LG BR, Tosh HD, Integra RDC-7& RDA-7, Thorens TD-318, Shure Ultra 400s, AQ cable's. 2 JBL 2241 18" subs/ JBLTi/L series Mains and surround (2 centers), 2 MK MX-250's, MK 1250Thx rear For HT, 60" Pany Plasma- APC power protection and stablizer. 110" projetion soon.
post #10 of 17 Old 02-19-2013, 06:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodi41 View Post

As well many HT receivers come with function's most people never use, consider this before droping down your cash. Good luck.
But getting a receiver that is missing functions you don't need will not necessarily save you any money. Go with the crowd and buy the features most others are buying -- that's where the price competition is.

Greg Lee
post #11 of 17 Old 02-19-2013, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I would understand "upconversion" to mean the reverse: 1080i to 1080p. If you have a 1080p flatscreen HDTV, it can only display 1080p, and if you send it 480i (cable SD) or 480p (DVD SD), it has to upconvert that to 1080p to display that. A 1080i cable or broadcast HD signal also has to be upconverted to 1080p. I think 1080p consumer TVs can all do this upconversion (I could be mistaken about this, but my TV does), and 750p HDTVs upconvert to 750p (approximately) so you don't need a BD/DVD player or receiver to do this. You might want one to, though, if you think it will do it better than your TV will, to give you higher picture quality. I have compared the upconversion from 480i to 1080p that my TV does with that done by my satellite receiver, and I couldn't see a difference. And DVDs at 480p also look fine after the TV upconverts them to 1080p. I just don't think of this as an issue for picture quality.

No. just because your TV is rated at 1080p does not mean you only see 1080p. Otherwise everything would always look like a BluRay.

No, Up-Conversion will take a less than 1080p and do its best to replicate an actual 1080 image. Its never perfect but has a few use's. Like with DVD's. They look like utter crap without some kind of up-conversion. Another one is Digital TV. If your not using upconversion then the channels aired in 480 look like a postage stamp.

\ I was able to find a nice TV with great picture but NO up-conversion so a lot of TV channels we watch look like a postage stamp unless we use the "zoom" feature. This zoom feature will blow up the image to a large size but does not scale the image quality, infact it get's WAY worse with zoom. Then there is the fact that it chops off about 1" of the picture.

Then there is the quality of DVD's..... its not worth watching.

I'm familure with different TV's ability to upconvert, Same with DVD and Blu-Ray player's. I am no familure with how AV receiver's work as video up-converter's so I was asking about it from people who knew what was going on with upconversion.
post #12 of 17 Old 02-19-2013, 09:10 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

considering your cash restraints my advice is that ebay is your best friend. Denon, Integra, Onkyo, NAD, and many others are in that price range via the used market. The reason why is so many people think they need to upgrade their audio equipment for Hdmi 1.4 (which is really only required for 3d support right now, unless of course you own a 4k TV set- see here ). Dont worry so much about wpc, concern yourself more with the audio quality over quanity of wpc. As well many HT receivers come with function's most people never use, consider this before droping down your cash. Good luck.

ITs so hard to get good advice from this site frown.gif
post #13 of 17 Old 02-19-2013, 01:15 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Well, your money might stretch a bit farther with used gear, but for your setup/budget, grab the Yamaha. It's a good value for 250 dollars.
post #14 of 17 Old 02-19-2013, 01:42 PM

Liked: 147
I do not think any manufacturer makes receivers to last for multiple decades now - at least none in the price range you are willing to spend. I owned a Kenwood 8060 (Yes, I ran a 6.1 system) and loved it. Had to replace it when HDMI started to rear its head. They don't make them as sturdy as they used to.
post #15 of 17 Old 02-19-2013, 03:55 PM

Quote:
ITs so hard to get good advice from this site
I am sorry if I offended you, it's just that at the price point you listed there is nothing I would even consider buying if it was new (realistically). This is why I mentioned eBay. Otherwise, I would save more money until I could afford what I really wanted. From my own experience I feel it is better to wait and feel confident with your purchase rather then to only regret it later on. I believe in quality over quantity. Just my .02 cents worth.

Edit: one thing I forgot to add- the Denon 1913 is a pretty decent unit and I belive has most to the features your looking for- check out the denon store- they also offer refurbs with full warranties.

here ya go check here: http://usa.denon.com/us/product/pages/refurbishedproducts.aspx?catid=refurbishedprocat(denonna)&catalog=denonna_us#avreceiversref(denonna)

ATi 1805/Odyssey Stratos/NAD T785, LG BR, Tosh HD, Integra RDC-7& RDA-7, Thorens TD-318, Shure Ultra 400s, AQ cable's. 2 JBL 2241 18" subs/ JBLTi/L series Mains and surround (2 centers), 2 MK MX-250's, MK 1250Thx rear For HT, 60" Pany Plasma- APC power protection and stablizer. 110" projetion soon.
post #16 of 17 Old 02-19-2013, 04:35 PM

Quote:

But getting a receiver that is missing functions you don't need will not necessarily save you any money. Go with the crowd and buy the features most others are buying -- that's where the price competition is.
While this may be true is some cases The contrary usually allows the manufacturer to put the money where it's needed- into the audio and video sections of the unit, there by increasing quality of audio and video. I guess I prefer a minimalistic approach, I have owned many AVR's and most of the bells and whistles- I simply never used, as I prefer to stay true to what the DVD/CD/SCAD/BR-HD author intended. I do see your point thogugh.

post #17 of 17 Old 02-19-2013, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradman View Post

Well, your money might stretch a bit farther with used gear, but for your setup/budget, grab the Yamaha. It's a good value for 250 dollars.

I have crused ebay and local craigslist and have been less than thrilled with what I have seen for the price. I would also like to get some kind of support/backing from the mfg.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage View Post

I do not think any manufacturer makes receivers to last for multiple decades now - at least none in the price range you are willing to spend. I owned a Kenwood 8060 (Yes, I ran a 6.1 system) and loved it. Had to replace it when HDMI started to rear its head. They don't make them as sturdy as they used to.

I understand I won't be able to get a receiver that will last another 20+ years. I would however like the new unit to last until technology merits an upgrade, maybe 5-7 years... Heck the kenwood was far from being a high end unit/expensive when it was purchased.

Quote:

I am sorry if I offended you, it's just that at the price point you listed there is nothing I would even consider buying if it was new (realistically). This is why I mentioned eBay. Otherwise, I would save more money until I could afford what I really wanted. From my own experience I feel it is better to wait and feel confident with your purchase rather then to only regret it later on. I believe in quality over quantity. Just my .02 cents worth.

Edit: one thing I forgot to add- the Denon 1913 is a pretty decent unit and I belive has most to the features your looking for- check out the denon store- they also offer refurbs with full warranties.

here ya go check here: http://usa.denon.com/us/product/pages/refurbishedproducts.aspx?catid=refurbishedprocat(denonna)&catalog=denonna_us#avreceiversref(denonna)

No offence, just your advice was somewhat pointless. I wasn't asking for an expensive Receiver with all the bells and whistles, far from it. I'm looking for a few HDMI ports, and optical audio input, 5.1 surround and around 100w per channel. In today's market I would actually consider all of those to be standards. I did inquire about one bell and or whistle, the Video Up-Conversion. I asked because its a feature I would actually use(if the receiver had a decent implementation), but I don't need it in the receiver.

Quote:

While this may be true is some cases The contrary usually allows the manufacturer to put the money where it's needed- into the audio and video sections of the unit, there by increasing quality of audio and video. I guess I prefer a minimalistic approach, I have owned many AVR's and most of the bells and whistles- I simply never used, as I prefer to stay true to what the DVD/CD/SCAD/BR-HD author intended. I do see your point thogugh.

I have a very minimalistic approach too. I've managed to use the same AVR for 20 years.. and been very happy with it too.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page