Need Help Wiring Denon AVR-1912 B Speakers - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 02-18-2013, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
We have a Denon AVR-1912 and have not been able to figure out how to effectively wire the system to properly use the B speaker feature. As I understand it, to run the same signal to both A and B speakers, I need to have the signal wired twice - one digitally and once analog.

Here's our set-up:
Toshiba Regza LCD TV
Comcast DVR
Custom HTPC with BluRay Player
Denon AVR-1912
Yamaha NS-C310 2-way Center Speaker
Klipsch-10" 450W Powered Subwoofer-SW-450
(2) Boston Acoustics Bookshelf Speakers
(2) Polk in-ceiling speakers (in kitchen and additional room)

The Klipsch and Bostons are in the living room and will be our A speakers. The Polk speakers are in the ceiling of a couple rooms of the house, which will be our B speakers. When we have company, we want the ability to have the same signal broadcast over the A and B speakers (e.g. sports games, music form the HTPC, etc). However, we want to be able to watch TV or movies form the HTPC without turning on the B speakers. Right now, any time we have the receiver on, sound runs to all speakers (which obviously sounds crappy in the living room). The HTPC and TV are hooked up via HDMI at this point. I believe I only have an optical and HDMI out available from the HTPC.

Can you help with how to properly set this up? I've spent hours with the manual to no avail.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-18-2013, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 154
It doesn't appear on a quick glance that the 1912 has a and b speaker connections. what you want to do (regardless) is use zone 2 instead of the rear surrounds. look up how to do that in the manual. helpful to download so you can search electronically.
post #3 of 6 Old 02-18-2013, 06:04 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked: 1505
You have two choices on how to connect the additional room speakers and in both instances the speakers would be connected to the Surr Back/Amp Assign speaker posts .....

(1) Front B - Set AMP ASSIGN (p. 57 OM) to "Front B" noting that the same source (HDMI or otherwise) playing to the Front A speakers will also play to the Front B speakers at the same volume. You would use the "Front SP Setup" setting (p. 85 OM) to set the front speakers to A, B or A+B.

(2) Zone 2 - Set AMP ASSIGN to Zone 2, and although the speakers will now have independent source/volume capability than what is playing in the main zone, the Zone 2 source is limited to either an "analog" connected device, network audio, AM/FM tuner or USB (ie. no HDMI or optical/digital coax).

---------------------------------
"JD" –
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Mon - Fri: 10am – 10pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Parasound
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #4 of 6 Old 02-20-2013, 07:06 AM - Thread Starter

Ah, you're right - I meant Zone 1 and Zone2.
post #5 of 6 Old 02-20-2013, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter

Since I don't have any analog outputs from the HTPC, I'm wondering if a DAC would be worthwhile/ advisable for getting analog to Zone 2. If so, do you have any recommendations?
post #6 of 6 Old 02-20-2013, 06:35 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked: 1505
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?seq=1&format=2&p_id=6884&CAWELAID=1329453854&cagpspn=pla&gclid=CPWaidauxrUCFQ84nAod5Q4Adg

---------------------------------
"JD" –
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Mon - Fri: 10am – 10pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Parasound
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 1912 Receiver

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page