AVR-1613 shuts down - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 02-19-2013, 06:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just purchased the Denon AVR-1613 for my new home theatre set up. The TV is a samsung 55" LED Smart TV. I have five speakers plus a subwoofer all by Paradigm. I was assured this receiver would support this set up.

I hooked everything up and did the accoustic test and everything seemed to be fine. Three days later, the receiver now shuts down after approximatey two minutes after being turned on. I called the store I bought the receiver from and was advised to check all the speaker wires to ensure there wasn't a short from a bit of wire touching the case. I did this. I trimmed all the wire ends and completely removed the centre and both surround speakers leaving just the left and right front speakers and sub woofer hooked up. I tried the receiver and after a minute or so it shut down. I removed the front speakers so only the sub woofer remained connected but not turned on. Once again I turned on the receiver. Once again it shut down.

Anyone else experience this problem? I will be taking it back but I hate not knowing why a $400 item no longer works after working perfectly for three days of watching movies and TV shows. Very frustrating to say the least.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-19-2013, 06:13 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked: 1316
Does it shut down with the sub and all external device connections removed as well? Have you tried resetting the microprocessor (p. 123 OM).

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun, leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #3 of 6 Old 02-19-2013, 06:13 PM

Sounds defective considering you disconnected the speakers and power cycled it and it did the same thing. Swap it out. Considering the thousands of these that they make your gonna end up with a few failures. Good thing it happened early. I wouldn't worry to much.

Which Pardaigm speakers are you trying to drive and how big is the room?

Make sure you change the speaker settings (speaker size - small / crossover set to 80hz to start) after calibration as it usually get this part wrong.

Keep us posted. smile.gif
post #4 of 6 Old 02-19-2013, 06:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Does it shut down with the sub and all external device connections removed as well? Have you tried resetting the microprocessor (p. 123 OM).

I didn't try it with everything disconnected but will try now to see...I'll have to read up on re-setting the multiprocessor. Thanks.
post #5 of 6 Old 02-19-2013, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NADz View Post

Sounds defective considering you disconnected the speakers and power cycled it and it did the same thing. Swap it out. Considering the thousands of these that they make your gonna end up with a few failures. Good thing it happened early. I wouldn't worry to much.

Which Pardaigm speakers are you trying to drive and how big is the room?

Make sure you change the speaker settings (speaker size - small / crossover set to 80hz to start) after calibration as it usually get this part wrong.

Keep us posted. smile.gif

I tried it on its own with nothing connected to it on my dining room table and after about two minutes it just shuts off. Has to be a defect.

The Paradigm speakers I am using include the centre, surround and subwoofer. The two front speakers are another brand I had before I bought the Paradigm. The room is 12 by 22.

I will change the settings once I get this issue sorted out.
post #6 of 6 Old 02-20-2013, 08:01 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked: 1316
If the unit shuts down with nothing connected then it does indeed need to go back, although you could try resetting the microprocessor as a final check.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun, leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 1613 Receiver

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page