Yamaha 473 enough for Jamos 426 hcs 3? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 02-19-2013, 08:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
First of all amazing forums you guys have here I have learned a lot from reads posts. I recently purchased the Jamos 426 HCS 3 speakers and have done a lot of searching for receivers: and I am between the Onkyo 616 and Yamaha 473. I am leaning toward the Yamaha due to reviews but the THX certification on the Onkyo keeps staring at me. I am looking for a receiver for movies and Video games mostly and am concerned about the Yamaha having enough power to supply the speakers during the loud explosion scenes of movies. I have done some research on here and someone said that you are supposed to have twice the wattage of your speakers since it better to have more than less. I am quite the newbie when it comes to understand rms wattage vs 100 watts at 15khz and all of that stuff. If you guys have any input on if the yamaha would work or have another receiver I haven't heard about in the $400 range I would be very grateful.

Thanks,
Aquacopter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-19-2013, 09:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 390
Either one will work fine with the Jamo S426 speakers.

The NR616 has a much better feature set though including 8 HDMI inputs vs 4 on the Yamaha, a 1080p Marvell video scaler and 7.1.
Here is a review of the Yamaha RX-V473 and 573. Only 20.8 watts per channel with 5 channels driven.
http://www.hometheater.com/content/yamaha-rx-v473-and-rx-v573-av-receivers-ht-labs-measures

Afro GT
post #3 of 8 Old 02-19-2013, 09:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 17
My vote goes for onkyo 616
post #4 of 8 Old 02-19-2013, 10:14 PM

Liked: 17
I would go for the Onkyo.
post #5 of 8 Old 02-20-2013, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies guys, I had wanted the onkyo before I read all the problems they were having with the hdmi. Has this been ironed out in recent firmware updates? I have read recent reviews of it saying it still have issues. How can the people and Home theater and CNET reviews say its an amazing receiver when it seems so under powered. Are they only running it on a two speaker configuration? Again thanks for helping an audio newbie.
post #6 of 8 Old 02-21-2013, 05:15 AM

Liked: 56
Audioholics gave the 473 a product of the year award but the article starts with "While we didn't do a formal review of this receiver" tongue.gif

http://www.audioholics.com/buying-guides/product-awards-and-gift-guides/2012-product-of-year

I would not buy the 473 or 573 after looking at the measurements from Home Theater.
post #7 of 8 Old 02-21-2013, 08:38 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badouri View Post

Audioholics gave the 473 a product of the year award but the article starts with "While we didn't do a formal review of this receiver" tongue.gif

http://www.audioholics.com/buying-guides/product-awards-and-gift-guides/2012-product-of-year

I would not buy the 473 or 573 after looking at the measurements from Home Theater.

While I am sure home theater magazines tests are accurate, they can be a bit misleading. A pure sine wave sent continuously to all chanells is much more taxing on an amp than any real world scenario will present. To me, listening tests are much more valuable than a measurement of all chanells driven, though I do think tests with 2chs driven do hold some merit as they are more comparable to a real world scenario.

The fact that in listening tests the two receivers were praised for the sq, and the review does not mention hearing distortion or clipping, says a lot more than the measurements do.
post #8 of 8 Old 02-22-2013, 07:23 PM - Thread Starter

I have been thinking they are all so close together in features vs price vs sound quality it becomes listening to reviews to decide which one to get. Now the question is what reviews do you listen to. Do you listen to product reviewers (CNET vs hometheater.com) or do you trust personal reviews on amazon. I believe you can get information from both. Also, it seems you can get mixed reviews from the big two. CNET says the yamaha isn't very good but HT says its the best. Man I have a headache.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page