need help configuring 2.0 speakers - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 02-19-2013, 09:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I got usher s520 speakers no sub, and yamaha v343, what should i do about tone control and stuff like that? Also there are DSP programs, would 2.0 channel in music be appropriate? And the crossover setting im a bit confused about. I feel the bass needs to be more so how can i achieve that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-20-2013, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 62
Not sure about your AVR, but most AVRs there has to be a sub connected to set the speakers to small and a XO.
So with no sub, the speaker setting would have to be full range or large. The s520 will start to roll off @ 52 htz. The only way to get low bass is to add a sub.

DSP is for converting stereo sources to multi-channel with each DSP mode having a slightly different sound.
post #3 of 9 Old 02-20-2013, 09:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DHD View Post

Not sure about your AVR, but most AVRs there has to be a sub connected to set the speakers to small and a XO.
So with no sub, the speaker setting would have to be full range or large. The s520 will start to roll off @ 52 htz. The only way to get low bass is to add a sub.

DSP is for converting stereo sources to multi-channel with each DSP mode having a slightly different sound.

I leave it at STRAIGHT most of the time but even Standard and dolby logic sound interesting if not better even though its 2.0. I have it set at LARGE and no sub and at 60HZ, i think AVR did this automatically with no input from me. Its actually a yamaha 373 i was wrong before. Is 60hz good enough? it needs bass, people who have the same speakers though said it wasnt necessary.
post #4 of 9 Old 02-21-2013, 03:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dioxholster View Post

I leave it at STRAIGHT most of the time but even Standard and dolby logic sound interesting if not better even though its 2.0. I have it set at LARGE and no sub and at 60HZ, i think AVR did this automatically with no input from me. Its actually a yamaha 373 i was wrong before. Is 60hz good enough? it needs bass, people who have the same speakers though said it wasnt necessary.
Quote:

As I said the roll off of those s502 is 52htz. So the XO at 60 will work. As to if you think its low enough, depends on your taste in music and how much bass you like. If you turn off the XO or lower it, you will get a bit more bass. But to get it all, you do need a sub.
post #5 of 9 Old 02-21-2013, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 80
If you've disabled the subwoofer output in the speaker settings, it's likely that the large/small and crossover settings do nothing. With no subwoofer there's no where to crossover the bass frequencies to. The LFE channel, if any, will get mixed into the front left and right channels because there's no where else to put it.

If you want more bass you need to use a subwoofer like 4DHD said.
post #6 of 9 Old 03-15-2013, 05:52 AM - Thread Starter

what if i use the "extra bass" option? and do DSP settings help improve the sound? there is Straight and dolby pro logic, surround decoder and just standard as well as enhanced. Speakers feel a little muted or a little too warm if thats what it is. maybe i got the volume too low, but its hard to tell since some sources are louder than others. i usually just keep it at -20 sometimes in -10s as im not sure what the limit is.
post #7 of 9 Old 03-15-2013, 06:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

what if i use the "extra bass" option? and do DSP settings help improve the sound? there is Straight and dolby pro logic, surround decoder and just standard as well as enhanced. Speakers feel a little muted or a little too warm if thats what it is. maybe i got the volume too low, but its hard to tell since some sources are louder than others. i usually just keep it at -20 sometimes in -10s as im not sure what the limit is.

As to if there is an improvement with "extra bass" is mostly dependent on the room, speaker combo.
But if you are talking about what I think you are, you still need a sub... as the extra bass is supplied by sending the LF to both the L/R mains and the sub.
post #8 of 9 Old 03-15-2013, 08:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DHD View Post

As to if there is an improvement with "extra bass" is mostly dependent on the room, speaker combo.
But if you are talking about what I think you are, you still need a sub... as the extra bass is supplied by sending the LF to both the L/R mains and the sub.

are there good subs below 300$? i dont want to spend on something that i will end up selling in a couple of years since i move alot. the speakers themselves are kinda cheap, but people praise them yet all i get is very subdued sound. but for my previous question would it be better for my setup to have reciever downmix the 5.1 to 2.0? or just leave it STRAIGHT (direct no processing?) this part confuses me as well as other settings but i let YAOP or whatever it is optimize it.

edit: i will remove the dust cover grill maybe thats the cause.
post #9 of 9 Old 03-16-2013, 04:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes, with some speakers, they sound more open with the grilles removed.
I'm not up to speed on what subs are currently available, as I built my own a decade ago.
But there are some internet brands that seem to get good reviews and you also have
http://www.parts-express.com/cat/powered-subwoofers/95
they also sell subs. PE is where I bought all my XO components and plate amps.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page