Lookng to Upgrade AVR Soon...Ideas - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 02-20-2013, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I have to leave for work so I don't have time to do a search right now, but would like some quick ideas on getting a new AVR.

Currently I have the Onkyo SR-507, which has worked well for me in the past and still does. I'm moving to a larger size apartment soon so looking to upgrade to an AVR with authority when it comes to HT. I stream BD movies from my server to the HTPC, which runs through the AVR.

I recently gotten the new Panasonic UT50 as a partial upgrade so I now have 3D capability.

My budget for the AVR is around $1,000, but can adjust as needed. I would like one that can easily do 7.1 surround without needing a separate amp for the SB speakers (like my 507 does currently).

I like Onkyo but I am open to other brands too like HK, Denon and several others.

If anyone can give me some ideas or some models/brands to look into, I'll research them when I get home from work. The room size the AVR will go into is about 12x20. Plus, having good room correction calibration (ie Audyssey that's included on the Onkyos) would be ideal.

Thanks! smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-21-2013, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 348 Post(s)
Liked: 206
I'd take a good look at the Denon XX13 line, I love my 2113ci (I paid $450 for a refurb), but with your budget I think you could get one of the higher models with Audyssey XT32.

AVR: DENON 2113ci
FL/R: Klipschorn
CC: Klipsch RC64ii
SUR: Polk LS F/X x 4
SUB: PSA XS15 x 4
DISP: Mitsubishi WD-73740
post #3 of 6 Old 02-21-2013, 05:11 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 731 Post(s)
Liked: 1408
You can review a comparison of the current Denon XX13 models by reviewing post #2 in the Denon AVR-XX13 Owner's thread linked in my sig. All 3 "CI" models feature Audyssey MultEQ XT.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #4 of 6 Old 02-21-2013, 05:22 PM

Liked: 10
+1 for Denon. After over a year of reading and researching I'm going to order the 2313 next week.

My Media Room (Basement)
post #5 of 6 Old 02-23-2013, 08:07 AM

Liked: 10
AvTechman, would you consider a lightly used receiver? If you would, I have a Denon 3311CI available. I have a Rotel separates system in my hometheater which was giving me problems but its been repaired so I don't have a need for the Denon.
post #6 of 6 Old 02-24-2013, 12:32 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVTechMan View Post

... I'm moving to a larger size apartment soon so looking to upgrade to an AVR with authority when it comes to HT. I stream BD movies from my server to the HTPC, which runs through the AVR.

... I now have 3D capability.

My budget for the AVR is around $1,000, but can adjust as needed. I would like one that can easily do 7.1 surround without needing a separate amp for the SB speakers (like my 507 does currently).

How efficient, or inefficient your SB speakers are, that you need a separate amp to drive them? If they are indeed inefficient, then read on; otherwise skip my two cents in this post smile.gif!

That said, if you currently need a separate amp for the SB speakers with your current 507, you may want to test drive new AVRs with pre-outs to do likewise, especially you are moving to a larger size apartment, looking for an AVR with HT authority. Then you will be certain of your actual requirement (with or without outboard amp).

Speaking from my own experience getting used to an outboard amp (250W/8 ohms x2) driving front inefficient speakers, I tried a couple of the Denon brand, 1613 and 1713, and while I am very happy with the musical contents, the onboard amps are not quite an "authority when it comes to HT". Until I tested drive the Marantz 1603 using its pre-outs and my outboard amp, then I am satisfied with both (direct) music and HT! Denon offers pre-outs too, only with higher end models with CI suffix.

It is not scope creep, but rather to determine what you actually need. What would you do with your separate amp anyway, selling it cheap, or box it up?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page