Onkyo TX-SR606 - Centre speaker balance ? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 02-21-2013, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I own an Onkyo TX-SR606 AV Receiver that is hooked up to KEF's KHT 3005 sub/sat speaker system.

I have a problem that I have been trying to fix for a long time and will appreciate it if someone here can point me in the right direction.

Basically, I have tried the Audyssey 2EQ calibration as explained in the manual - being very careful not to make any mistakes. I did not like the end results at all regardless of movies or music. Hence, I resorted to a manual calibration using my ears to judge pink noise levels from the sweet spot. I do not have or own an SPL meter. My xovers are set to 80Hz all around and the LFE is set to 120Hz.

After a manual calibration my system sounds nice but I have not been able to solve one very annoying problem: A total imbalance when it comes to the centre speaker - when watching a movie I keep on having to increase and decrease the volume and it is super frustrating !!! When I raise the volume to make dialogue clear and audible the surround effects (guns, blasts, crashes etc) become too loud. When I turn the volume down so that the surround effects are at a comfortable level; I cannot hear dialogue.

Now I know I can go into the speaker levels and dial a higher level specifically for the centre speaker but I know that would be a compromise in the overall set up.

Any help or advice will be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 02-21-2013, 01:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Hi,
That is exactly why the receiver manufacturer gives you the ability to change individual speaker levels, to suit your individual speaker/listening situation.. In 5.1 your dialogue comes from your center speaker, room acoustics can interfere with the sound from the center channel, needing to boost the center is not uncommon. If you have a adroid device or a ipod get a app that does spl. Its not ideal but should get you closer than listening alone.
post #3 of 3 Old 03-13-2013, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hey, Sam. What are your speaker levels for the right, left and center set to when you manually set it up? Is it substantially different than what Audyssey sets them to? Do you notice it more for specific types of voices, e.g. male or female. Just wondering if there is a specific frequency range that is giving you problems.

I agree with Socketman, there are probably room acoustics that may be degrading things. Sometimes Audyssey can make things worse by trying to make corrections.

-Greg
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Sr606 Receiver
Gear in this thread - Sr606 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page