4 Marantz MA700 Mono Block Amps down because of static - Refurbish or Trash? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 02-22-2013, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I have 6 of these Mono blocks powering my system. I love the amps but I think they are reaching the end of their life span. They are from 1998 and they going down one by one. The amp still works but when you turn it on there is static from the speaker even with nothing else on. I don't know if it would be worth it to try and repair them or not. Should I sell them to someone who wants to repair them, trash them, or send them off to be repaired and keep them? I have them hooked to an Onkyo 818 AVR so worst case I can use the internal amp. It's nice having separates to swap new AVR's. Would it be worth it to buy a new separate amp for the Onkyo if these cannot be repaired?

Thanks for the help!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 02-22-2013, 01:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked: 1122
Quote:
Originally Posted by myriadcorp View Post

I have 6 of these Mono blocks powering my system. I love the amps but I think they are reaching the end of their life span. They are from 1998 and they going down one by one. The amp still works but when you turn it on there is static from the speaker even with nothing else on. I don't know if it would be worth it to try and repair them or not. Should I sell them to someone who wants to repair them, trash them, or send them off to be repaired and keep them? I have them hooked to an Onkyo 818 AVR so worst case I can use the internal amp. It's nice having separates to swap new AVR's. Would it be worth it to buy a new separate amp for the Onkyo if these cannot be repaired?

IME power amps that are 15 years old are just getting started. It sounds like they have a design fault that is making them all fail the same way in about the same amount of time.

There may be some environmental factor such as proximity to the ocean, etc.

Your problem sounds like a problem involving a bad connection (corrosion) of some kind. It could be a bad external connector, switch or volume control, internal connector, etc.

You would need to do some research at places like eBay and Audiogon to determine what their value is, either as-is or after repair.

Just guessing, they might be worth $25-50 as is, and $100-200 after repair. If the same person repairs all six, there should be a substantial discount after repairing the first one, because usually the diagnosis is the bigger part of the repair. If the repair involves shipping, that would change the economics of the situation.

I don't think that using the amps in your AVR would involve a serious sound quality loss unless your speakers are very strange.
post #3 of 3 Old 02-22-2013, 06:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 27
My speakers are Paradigm Studio 100's v1 and Paradigm LCR 450's.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page