Help with new Denon 4520CL - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 02-22-2013, 09:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
About 10 years ago really into Home Theater. I purchased a Denon AVR 5600 which needless to say was phenomenal!! I have been out of the Home Theater scene for several years and now wanting to upgrade to a new receiver with HDMI.

I recently purchased a Denon 4520CL.

Back in the day we used sound meters to adjust levels, but now see Denon has its own unique calibration system. I am currently using Polk audio RT series for the fronts and Center. M&K sub and M&K rear speakers.

I have gone through the setup multiple times, but finding the new 4520 CL not stacking up to the AVR 5600 when listening to movies so far. When it comes to listening to older movies ie Jurassic Park or Matrix I remember them sounding better on my older 5600?? What am I doing wrong??

The AVR 5600 seemed louder with more detail and bass than the current 4520CL?

With the 4520CL I am turning the volume up to around 55-60 in a 13x18 room to get adequate voices and sub....Another issue is the Center channel. It seems low when it comes to voices. The action get loud but the voices seem low. If I turn receiver up to the 55-60 range on the receiver voices are better, but then action way to loud. Any suggestions?? I really want to keep using the new 4520, but want the same Draw dropping sound when watching movies.

I am bi wiring my fronts using the 5.1 Amp setup with Bi Wire. 2 zone

Comments or suggestions welcome
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 02-23-2013, 02:37 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1813 Post(s)
Liked: 1714
Welcome to AVSForum! smile.gif

Since about 2005, Denon has used a 3rd party EQ system known as Audyssey with the version in the 4520CI being the most advanced version to date which uses over 10,000 speaker/sub control points during the EQ process. To get the most of it, please review the Audyssey 101/FAQ Guide linked in my sig which includes answers to the 50 most asked questions in the Official Audyssey thread. Modern AVRs use a logarithmic volume scale such that 50-60 would be an average volume for TV viewing with movie/music listening likely being closer to 60-70. Some coming from older AVRs especially find the bass to be weak, but after a few weeks of listening at the level the mixer intended (ie. after running Audyssey), actually enjoy it much better, although you're certainly free to bump up the Subwoofer Level setting (p. 121 OM) a few db to suit your preference as doing so will not impact the Audyssey EQ. Note also that after running Audyssey, with Dyn EQ enabled, movie reference level is set to master volume of 80; however, as TV and music don't use a similar "reference" level, for music/TV sources you may want to set the "Reference Level Offset" (p. 125 OM) to 10db or 15db which will reduce the bass boost and improve the center channel dialog issue at listening levels below reference (ie. 80). The "Dialog Enhancer" (p. 121 OM) can also be used as well. You may also want to consider using the "Dyn Volume" setting of "Medium" (p. 126 OM) as it will tend to boost the lower level dialogue and reduce the loud booms.

Also note there is a dedicated thread for Denon AVR-4520CI owners linked below which you may want to review as well ....

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1430049/the-official-denon-avr-4520ci-thread/0_100

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page