No audio on Marantz SR-6007 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 22 Old 02-24-2013, 02:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just got new Marantz SR-6007 AV receiver and got problem.

On it i have DVD, BD, WDTV, SAT (all over HDMI) and Nintedno Wii over component cable.

Setup was done just fine, i have 7.1 speakers, did AUDYSSEY setup just fine, all speakers connected as it should. If i do sound check, i hear sound from each speaker.

Now the weird part. I dont have audio both on HDMI and to component+analog audio. BUT if i go to internet radio (over network) radio stations i can hear sound just fine.

I have 2 outputs, one is TV and second is projector, but no matter, i have tryed it with all combinations, Just one source on first output, on second output, no output, both of them, etc.etc.

HDMI audio is set to AVR as it should (not to TV/Pass trough), all cables are higspeed and everything worked just fine on old receiver (same setup of devices). I have powered it off (powercable disconnected) for a 10mins, same thing, i did network reset, same thing, I did microprocesor reset function, same thing. Ofcourse if i connect any ot those device directly to TV sound is there. If i connect them to old receiver sound is there.

Getting out of ideas. Any toughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 02-24-2013, 10:30 AM - Thread Starter

So noone has even an idea what is the problem ?
post #3 of 22 Old 02-24-2013, 10:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked: 413
Is this a brand new receiver?

Afro GT
post #4 of 22 Old 02-24-2013, 10:48 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1775 Post(s)
Liked: 1700
Try doing the HDMI reset procedure listed below. If still no joy, then as you've done the basic troublehshooting normally suggested, do a few more microprocessor resets in succession and then connect one HDMI source (w/o doing Audyssey) to every HDMI input and if still no joy replace/exchange it.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1334369/the-official-denon-avr-xx12-model-owners-thread/0_100#user_L11

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #5 of 22 Old 02-24-2013, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
IF possible, you will probably get lucky with a solution here IF you could get a picture shot of your front panel display when you have a source connected / selected.... or at the very least, give a complete description of everything that is displayed / lit ... and possibly compare that to when you have the internet radio working / making sound. This strongly sounds like a "finger problem"... :-(
post #6 of 22 Old 02-24-2013, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter

@afrogt:
Yes it is brand new receiver, got it from store on friday and over weekend i started configuring it and stopped on this problem. So it is brand new receiver.

@jdsmoothie
As i did microprocesor reset procedure two times, i will try your suggestion with just 1 source and no Audyssey setup.

@budwich
Taking pics and posting them here is no problem at all. But on each source on display i get name of source and below is volume level. Something like:

DVD

When internet radio is working on front palen i get scrolled text of name of radiostation.

I can get pictures in a morning.
post #7 of 22 Old 02-24-2013, 12:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked: 413
If you purchased locally take it in and have them take a look at it. Have them connect some HDMI devices to be sure it is working the way you want.

Sounds like you already did quite a bit of debugging so it may be defective.

Afro GT
post #8 of 22 Old 02-24-2013, 12:45 PM
585-645-1006

The day is still young. If the store is open today, return it and get another unit so you can at least have the rest of the day for setup. smile.gif

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
post #9 of 22 Old 02-24-2013, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah that is last step, that is why i want to try everything by myself. Since it was bought in shop 300km away, i hate it to have send it back just for them to say, oh you forgot to switch that option smile.gif

Well, as i read your suggestions i started doing stuff with receiver and now i got some new info.

Here is my setup:

So basicly HDMI is very simple. Satelite receiver to HDMI1, DVD player to HDMI2, BD to HDMI3, Game (Wii) on Comp1 and WDTV (media center) to HDMI5.

Now lets concentrate to Game (Nintendo Wii console). I have 3 chinch of component and 2 chinch of audio. During setup as i run device wizard it said to connect game to COMP2 (in that port desctiption it said it is DVD) and audio also to analog audio in of DVD. So this is not working. Now just for test i tryed to switch just analog audio (2 chinchs) to CD, and changed source to CD, sound was there ?!? Ok next step. On this current setup i switched analog audio from Wii (2 chinchs) to CBL/SAT and changed source to CBL/SAT. I have picture from SAT receiver and sound from WII ??? It seams if you plug anything to analog audio ports of specified port (CBL/SAT, DVD, BD etc.etc) you will get that. So last step. I changed component to COMP1 (that says it is CBL/SAT) and audio plugged in also in CBL/SAT. Now when i change to CBL/SAT i will get both video and sound:

Forget about that HDMI1 enabled there, i was testing am i gonna get picture from WII (component1) or from SAT receiver (HDMI1). I have tryed with HDMI1 and without it, same thing, COMP1 and it's audio always shows.

So here is a problem, like Input assigment have nothing to do with what source you sellect.

You can see on next picture of my receiver:

As you can see on pic I have 2 Component IN. It is named COMP1 (CBL/SAT) and COMP2 (DVD).

So normal thing is to connect my WII video lets say to COMP1, audio to GAME analog audio IN and then on source select for GAME choose that video is from COMP1 (like it is on my first picture). But instead i get whatever i set it up on receiver, it will show only how it is connected in back?!? OFC other solution would be to set video to COMP1 and analog audio to GAME IN except there is no analog IN of audio smile.gif))) And last OFC i could connect COMP1 (named CBL/SAT) and audio to CBL/SAT and then on press of the CBL/SAT button on remote or changing to that source i will get both video and audio from GAME Wii but that's just stupid.

So HDMI is still problem with no audio. But i wonder if there is this problem in software of receiver, maybe there is also some problem with HDMI. Forgot to say firmware is latest, i did not flash it. It came with last one from shop, i just checked is there newer version and it said it is latest.

Does this ring any bell to you?
post #10 of 22 Old 02-24-2013, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter

Tryed also what jdsmoothie suggested, just one source (i try all of them) and no Audyssey setup. Still no HDMI sound.
post #11 of 22 Old 02-24-2013, 02:49 PM

Liked: 11
I would restart from scratch by disconnecting everything, then building up the system one by one, as you got something working, to confirm if HDMI is working at all, or with only certain devices. I don't play game enough, but suspect it can be a problem, thus install it last.

Even before that, do a firmware update is actually a better idea. It would take about 30 minutes. Bring your AVR to the router if you have to, to ensure no problem with wi-fi even if you have a network adapter. (You don't need a TV monitor for this, I would expect the screen display on the AVR should suffice. I saw its progress on both Denon 1713 and Marantz 1603 window, in addition to TV OSD). The benefit, or problem is that if the firmware update fixed the problem, you just don't know what went wrong smile.gif!

Then, first set up with TV -either OTA or CBL/SAT STB, watch TV, confirm if HDMI works;
- then add Blu-ray to AVR, watch a movie, confirm if HDMI works;
- then finally the suspected device: game.

Breaking a problem into smaller chunks to solve, divide and conquer it is smile.gif always a good troubleshooting technique.

Good luck!
post #12 of 22 Old 02-24-2013, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

I haven't digested your info... but it certainly helps.... I don't believe you have any problems with your receiver... so don't do the 300km drive. go slowly thru the manual and screens and look at things very carefully and closely. As you have found things work quite a bit differently in the "new HT world" with lots of assignments of things irregardless of how simple things look. As suggested work on getting on source operational as predictable / expected and then go from there.

Last comment, HDMI ISN'T that simple. The assignment that you show ONLY tells the unit what to switch where. IT DOESN'T tell the kind of signal to do... ie. video, audio, other things.... Its too bad (or maybe good) that the display on the receiver is so "simple". Anyways, I think you are heading in the right direction.

NOTE: the labelling on the back of the receiver IS NOT "hard and fast" except for analog audio connections.... what assigned as in the TV display "shot" is EXACTLY what your receiver is setup as... that is what you have to deal with and look at as the final "say".
post #13 of 22 Old 02-24-2013, 04:04 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipko View Post

So basicly HDMI is very simple. Satelite receiver to HDMI1, DVD player to HDMI2, BD to HDMI3, Game (Wii) on Comp1 and WDTV (media center) to HDMI5.

So HDMI is still problem with no audio. But i wonder if there is this problem in software of receiver, maybe there is also some problem with HDMI. Forgot to say firmware is latest, i did not flash it. It came with last one from shop, i just checked is there newer version and it said it is latest.

Does this ring any bell to you?

HDMI connections should be plug-n-play as long as using the same source name as listed on the jack so even if you can get it to work, I would be reluctant to keep the unit myself. When "stacking" sources using the same source name (eg. cable box and Wii), the HDMI input will take priority so it's generally best to assign the component video inputs to a different unused source name if possible. Check the INPUT MODE setting (p. 124 OM) is set to either "Auto" or "HDMI" for the HDMI inputs as if set to any other setting the HDMI audio will not work.

post #14 of 22 Old 02-24-2013, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member

bingo...jds.... this is likely where most of the problem lies...."fingers" and "LOMR".
post #15 of 22 Old 02-25-2013, 01:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

HDMI connections should be plug-n-play as long as using the same source name as listed on the jack so even if you can get it to work, I would be reluctant to keep the unit myself. When "stacking" sources using the same source name (eg. cable box and Wii), the HDMI input will take priority so it's generally best to assign the component video inputs to a different unused source name if possible. Check the INPUT MODE setting (p. 124 OM) is set to either "Auto" or "HDMI" for the HDMI inputs as if set to any other setting the HDMI audio will not work.

Good idea with this, except it does not work smile.gif I do select on input mode HDMI but still no sound. I even connected BD player via optical cable from BD to Marantz and select on Input assign to OPT1, but still no audio.

So now i went to see what audio is my BD giving to Marantz (usually all equipment have pass-trough audio and then receiver decode it. So i saw exacly that BD player is passing-trough audio both on HDMI and OPTICAL:

So then i put one BD disc in it and play it. Ofc no sound. If i check what sound that disc is offering i see:

So i selected Dolby TrueHD and volila - sound was there ?!?!

In that time if i check info on audio from marantz menu i see:

So everything seam to work with this.

If i select anything else from BD disc menu (PCM Stereo, 5.1 Surround, 7.1 Surround) there is no sound.

It seams like Marants does not decode those formats since on BD player it is set up to pass-trough audio and let receiver handle decoding.

Then another test. I changed on BD player on HDMI not to be pass-trough but PCM Multi-CH:

Then on marants info of audio i get:

And this works on any setting (PCM Stereo, 5.1 Surround, 7.1 Surround, Dolby TrueHD), but then i dont have real TrueHD but simulated multichanel in 7.1.

So it seams Marantz cannot play/decode simple formats like dolby digital/DTS/stereo.

Do you get any idea now?
post #16 of 22 Old 02-25-2013, 05:18 AM - Thread Starter

And also if i put in DVD some movie that has dolby digital or dts or something, no audio. Also same thing from SAT receiver, no audio. All of them connected to HDMI and in inputs selected that audio came from HDMI. It looks like receiver cannot decode any audio except TrueHD ?!?
post #17 of 22 Old 02-25-2013, 08:30 AM

@Vipko: how many times that you inserted and removed the same HDMI connections so far already?

If the number is like half a dozen times, I'll get new HDMI cables now, and try to minimize the number of insertions/removal of new cables to the AVR HDMI input, at the same time handle the HDMI connection gently! Btw, before re-connecting with new HDMI cables, I'd check if the firmware is latest, it will show if it is, or do an update for about 30 minutes.

I even wonder if the AVR HDMI connectors (male) if it get worn out so quick??

The weakest link can be just the HDMI board and its connector, at any rate? If you know some techs working at D & M, what would they say about the most frequent point of failure when it comes to Audio/Video loss? It can be a connection not making contacts, and/or the contacts wear out prematurely, when compared HDMI and say, USB connector (physically the USB pins are much fatter, with fewer number of pins).

How often you heard people complaining about no video, no audio using a HDMI connection?

Food for thoughts?
post #18 of 22 Old 02-25-2013, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter

Nah cables are just fine and are good quality, other thing to mention that everything is working just fine on old receiver, so it is not input device or cable issue smile.gif
post #19 of 22 Old 02-25-2013, 03:40 PM
AVS Special Member

go back to your previous two pictures. One is a status of the incoming sound while other is the hdmi setup at the receiver. These have to agree (not withstanding "auto").... so IF you have an incoming signal as PCM, the setting on the corresponding hdmi input has to agree and be ready for that type (ie. PCM). Further pass thru is just as it says passthru and allows no signal processing by the receiver... so I would expect no sound from the receiver ... not sure about video at the tv.. Further to get the full HD audio signals, you need to have a bitstream set or equivalent.... ie. the incoming signal status screen can NOT be PCM.... this indicates an incorrect setting at the player.

Further when you play a DVD, what does the incoming status screen show now... that will help the forum a lot.
post #20 of 22 Old 02-26-2013, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipko View Post

Good idea with this, except it does not work smile.gif I do select on input mode HDMI but still no sound. I even connected BD player via optical cable from BD to Marantz and select on Input assign to OPT1, but still no audio.
...So i selected Dolby TrueHD and volila - sound was there ?!?!

In that time if i check info on audio from marantz menu i see:

So everything seam to work with this.

If i select anything else from BD disc menu (PCM Stereo, 5.1 Surround, 7.1 Surround) there is no sound.

It seams like Marants does not decode those formats since on BD player it is set up to pass-through audio and let receiver handle decoding.

Then another test. I changed on BD player on HDMI not to be pass-trough but PCM Multi-CH:

Then on marants info of audio i get:

And this works on any setting (PCM Stereo, 5.1 Surround, 7.1 Surround, Dolby TrueHD), but then i dont have real TrueHD but simulated multichanel in 7.1.

So it seams Marantz cannot play/decode simple formats like dolby digital/DTS/stereo.

Do you get any idea now?

Continuing on your thread focusing on the Marantz codec, I wonder if it is a case of inter-operability between AVR and BD?

Source: http://www.hdmi.org
Q. What is the difference between decoding Dolby TrueHD/DTS-HD in the player (i.e. sending over HDMI as decoded PCM) vs. decoding in the A/V receiver (i.e. sending over HDMI as encoded Dolby TrueHD/DTS-HD bitstream)?

A: There is no inherent difference in quality between Dolby TrueHD/DTS-HD being sent over HDMI as decoded PCM vs. encoded bit stream. All Dolby TrueHD/DTS-HD decoders (whether in the player or the A/V receiver) must be certified to meet stringent quality requirements. However, consumers should make sure that their receivers support the number of incoming PCM channels delivered by their source device (e.g. DVD).

Can you beg/borrow/steal another BD device, or update your BD firmware to the latest (if possible, not likely) then try it in your AVR setup?

It can be another handshaking issue, or at any rate, another shot (in the dark smile.gif)!
post #21 of 22 Old 03-07-2013, 01:50 AM - Thread Starter

Well just to inform you all about solution to this problem: brand new receiver was a problem, i contacted their support and after talking about 10-15mins they said that i did all that they would try, and if it is so, to send receiver back to them. Yesterday i got new receiver and everything works as it should out of the box. Via HDMI i have stereo, DD, DTS, TrueHD and MA (of what i have tested). It was working just plug and play with nothing special configured. Also composite input works like charm too. I can select to whatever input on input selection, and on that button it works.

So right now everything is working as it should, so if anyone else have this kind of problems dont waste time trying debug problem - just go and replace receiver smile.gif
post #22 of 22 Old 04-04-2013, 10:50 AM

Great news that now resolved for you. Thanks for putting your questions up though as it has produced some great troubleshooting comments from people that I will keep track for my own benefit - beeing a complete noob to home cinema!
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Marantz Sr6007 Home Theater Av Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page