What <2K'ish 5 channel amp should I buy - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: For Moderate listing Level which 5 channel setup would you use.
Outlaw 7700 – Bi-amping my Salons (No Bi-amp discussion Please!) 4 80.00%
Emotiva XPA-2 and XPA-3 - XPA-2 for the mains 0 0%
Emotiva XPR-5 - What more needs to be said. 1 20.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 02-24-2013, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 242
I did an audition of an Outlaw M220 (200 WPC) my Revel Salons.

I was truely impressed by these little amps.
I think the high-end *might* be a little too rolled off, but they drove my Revels Bass line with authority.

My friend brought over his Focal Bookshelf speakers to audition in my room and equipment.
H has the same source component but has a Denon Preamp (that expensive beast, but I do not know the model number).

I asked him which amp he would like to connect my Sunfire 7400 or the M2200's.
He picked the M2200's.
I don't know the model but he as a 100+ lbs Denon amp at home.
What's that tell you smile.gif

I blew my budget on house money pit stuff.

But, now I want a new amp. I have to stay in the 2K range and I do not listen to music over 90 DB very often.

So the budget choices apear to to be:
  1. Outlaw 7700 – Bi-amping my Salons. I like this amp because I have heard outlaws before and always liked the sound. It is fully balanced, uses 12 devices per channel, and has good damping and slew rates. The downside: there are some reports of amplifier hum.
  2. Emotiva XPA-2 and XPA-3 – I like the XPA-2 because of its excellent reviews, 12 output devices, and damping factor. I have not idea what the slew rate is of these amplifiers.
  3. Emotiva XPR-5 – I like this amp because of its power looks but I have no idea how it sounds since there are no professional reviews. When Audioholics compared the previous generation rail switching amp, I think the XPA-2 came out on top.

Suggestions are welcome.

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Oppo PM-1 | Parasound A51 | Revel Salon, Voice, Studio | Velodyne HGS-15
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 02-24-2013, 12:32 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 42
As far as pricing, those 2 companies are probably the cheapest options. I've had amps from both and prefer the Outlaw house sound, but there will be fans of both. I guess you need to decide if you'd prefer a one amp solution.
post #3 of 10 Old 02-24-2013, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by runnin' View Post

As far as pricing, those 2 companies are probably the cheapest options. I've had amps from both and prefer the Outlaw house sound, but there will be fans of both. I guess you need to decide if you'd prefer a one amp solution.

Thanks.
I have heard others in the Outlaw family and I like the sound.

How would characterize the sound of the Emotiva's?

The XPR-5 is certainly a beast.
I never see slew rates on the Emotiva specs even when the have many output devices.
I am not sure what to make of that?

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Oppo PM-1 | Parasound A51 | Revel Salon, Voice, Studio | Velodyne HGS-15
post #4 of 10 Old 02-24-2013, 01:16 PM

Liked: 42
I'm not sure about the slew rates, and why Emotiva has never listed them. They also never used to list the damping factor until recently. Usually companies like to proudly list the specs they excel at and so on.

As for how the XPA-3 sounded, my main complaint was sibilance with some cds at higher volumes(With my speakers, Paradigm S6 metal dome design). I also found the imaging and bass accuracy to be wanting, but that was after I compared it to a Parasound A21. I'd say good value for the money on the Emotiva(525). No idea what the XPR-5 series is like, but Emotiva should be able to do more with a higher price. It does have a 20 amp plug, though Emotiva says it won't need 20 amps and suggests a cheater plug. It seems odd to me that they'd design an amp with a 20 amp plug and then tell you to use a cheater plug, but there you go.
post #5 of 10 Old 02-24-2013, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I am not sure is specs are definitive, but the Parasound are extremely fast with good damping.
I hear great things about them.

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

post #6 of 10 Old 02-24-2013, 11:13 PM

Liked: 17
Is this for a stereo or a multi-channel system? If the former, I'd look at some higher end used stereo amps (e.g., ML, Krell, Classe', Bryston), as the Salons are excellent speakers and will benefit from higher end amps. But if this is for a multi-channel system, the Outlaw 7700 or 7500 is probably the way to go given your budget. These two Outlaws are fully balanced, unlike Emotiva, and the overall part and build quality is superior to Emotiva. They're also made in California by ATI, who also makes Theta gear, compared with the Chinese-sourced Emotiva. For what it's worth, in the Home Theater Magazine review on the Salon2s, designer Kevin Voecks recommended the ATI amp the reviewer had on hand to power the speakers for the review, so that should tell you something.
post #7 of 10 Old 02-25-2013, 06:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I did not know that Kevin Voecks recommended ATI, good to know.
I have come come to the conclusion that Outlaw is the safe choice.
Too bad their are no review of e XPR series.
I am beginning to wonder if Audioholics is helping them get the kinks out wink.gif

Thanks,

Rich

Oppo Beta Group

post #8 of 10 Old 02-25-2013, 06:44 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 358
I am looking at the Outlaw 7500 amp: one of the reviews says it runs quite warm: any comments on this?

I am told there is no fan

also Outlaw says they do not offer a rack mount version: does anyone have one in a rack?

TIA
post #9 of 10 Old 02-25-2013, 07:58 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
I am looking at the Outlaw 7500 amp: one of the reviews says it runs quite warm: any comments on this?

I've owned my 7500 for over 7 years....I've run it for weeks at a time (kept the power on it and the preamp); it's never ran hot/warm at all.......
post #10 of 10 Old 02-26-2013, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I found a good deal on a used 7500.
Cost me less than half of what a new 7700 would have.

After reading for a while, I came to the concluding that A/B amps what counts are the output devices, capacitance, power supply, and power rating.
Given that, the Outlaw or an XPA-2/XPA-3 were the best value.

Were I looking to spend more, the Parasound Halo A51 would be my next choice.

Now I wait.

Thanks all for your input.

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page